Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have never done a post but i am overwelmed. I have riden bikes since i was 8. lets just say it's been a while. I currently own an 03 honda v45 magna and am looking to get into a harley. i made some new friends, gone on a few runs and think i would like to buy a harley. i have looked at everything from a vrod to a softtail and am so confused. i cannot tell what each different model has to offer and what would be right for me. i rode my buddies 71 shovel head and loved it. i have not riden the newer models but they all look great. so what is the difference (pro and con) of superglide vs low rider vs ultraglide vs softtail vs vrod vs fatboy. i have looked at specs and pics for all but only riden the older model shovel head. i like the styling of the vrod but the classic look of the softtail is very nice. I have a budget of about $8k and am looking at 02-05 year range. any advice? i am 5'8" 230 lb. and do long and short rides.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
What do YOU want? What are you looking for? What models do YOU like, first of all?

I've ridden and owned Sporties, FL's and currently have a Dyna. I like the "nimble" feeling of the Dyna compared to the Dressers and Fatboys. Mine was a Superglide, but I converted it to a wide glide with a 21" front wheel/tire combo.

As much as I hate to admit it, WHAT you buy has to appeal to you. If you don;t like the way it looks, then you'll lose interest fast.

Tell us what it is you're looking for in a bike, and we'll try to steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my first choice was the vrod 03 aniversary but i heard they are not comfortable on long rides. power is nice but i heard the vrods were looked at crouch rockets by other HD owners. i saw a good deal on a low rider but for a little more could get a nice softail and still stay in my price and year range with around 10k miles. any feedback on the ride of a vrod? Ron

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
my first choice was the vrod 03 aniversary but i heard they are not comfortable on long rides. power is nice but i heard the vrods were looked at crouch rockets by other HD owners. i saw a good deal on a low rider but for a little more could get a nice softail and still stay in my price and year range with around 10k miles. any feedback on the ride of a vrod? Ron
Again, Ron....are you buying it for YOU, or for what other's would think?

Who cares if the V-Rod is "considered" to be a crotch-rocket to other HD owners. Is it what YOU want/like?

It's a water cooled, tons-O-torque motorcycle, with a Porsche designed engine. Check with a few members here like Ed, and Nathan or Lil as they all have them and love them.

Where ya from in PA, Ron?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
vrods were looked at crotch rockets by other HD owners
As preface to my comments, understand that I had nothing but purely traditional aircooled H-D in my blood for more than 40 years.

That said, quite frankly, as the TICKLED TO DEATH owner of both a V-Rod and a LowRider, arguably one of the best non-dresser traditional Harleys, as far as ride goes, I will say that for certain, you have been badly misled about the V-Rod by traditional Harley riders who have their heads just as far up their asses as Harley riders think sport bikers do.

I ride the V-Rod as often as the LowRider, and while I haven't had the occasion (or permission) in this century to take any long trips, I have been contemplating one and have been thinking it might be the V-Rod I ride.

I ABSOLUTELY QUARANTEE you cannot go wrong with a V-Rod.
Our forum mate Danii has done so many 800+ mile days on his V-Rod, that any illusion it is not a long distance runner should be gone here.

i saw a good deal on a low rider but for a little more could get a nice softail
That especially makes no sense at all, if you had any concern about the quality of long distance rider comfort. The SoftTail has as much rear suspension as you can have w/o loosing the illusion that there is no rear suspension. Under no cirmstance would I consider any SoftTail over a LowRider, if I weighed the intent and comfort of riding long distances. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the spelling help... the power of the vrod is nice and i like to be more on the unique side. the vrod is all that. the softtail is similar in style to my current magna. your right too, what others thought was entering my thoughts without my realizing it. i guess i will have to do some sole searching and figure it out. i am a little south of Pittsburgh. you have been very helpful. Ron

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Considering the snobbish negative view many traditional Harley riders have of the V-Rod,
and the effect it has of depressing the price of used, or even last years leftover V-Rods,
you would probably find that you could get more bike for your money on a used V-Rod.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Hey Ron,

You sound like a smart guy because you are researching your purchase before hand and not after an impulse purchase.
I just finished posting in another thread and wrote this "Everybody has their favorite model and nobody is wrong."

My favorite is the VROD. Including myself I have never heard an owner of a VROD say that they were sorry about their decision. Now if you want to "fit in" dont buy a VROD. Most HD guys dont care for it.

I have never been one to care what others think and followed my gut. My gut was right! I love my VROD. If you need a faster bike than this there is something wrong with you. It red lines in second gear over 80mph with three more gears to go!

I find it very comfortable as well. Others have gone much further but I can tell you from personal experience that a 500 mile day is no problem and the longest trip I've taken it on so far was 2300 miles in 8 days.

I like being social so I dont mind that at every gas stop and most red lights people are in awe of the bike. It makes up for the lack of respect that some HD guys give the bike and then some.

A pic or two of my baby

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
crotch rockets, vrods? first I've heard of that. I'm a air cooled traditionalist but I aint gonna slam the rod. Probably everything will end up water cooled eventually.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Confession time again..
I went to my local HD to purchase a Night Rod (effing thing was sweet gave me a chubby) but Cyn's knees would be at my ears and not comfortable for her at all..
If you ride solo screw it as it is a fun bike and talk about eye candy.
Nathang is dead on about ride quality from the low rider being superior to the soft tail and I bet will be the closest to what your used to, that being said try looking on Ebay for a Evo low rider circa 1985 to 1999 and you will have a bike that starts and puts a big azz grin on your face.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Welcome from San Marcos, Tejas.
Gateway to the Hill Country & Devils Backbone.
Gotta love them Wide Glide's

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
One thing you would want to be aware of in looking at LowRider and SuperGlides, is whether you are looking at front or mid controls. Somehow I didn't notice my 05 LowRider had mid controls and had to switch to fronts, I didn't find having my feet up under my thighs comfortable, and I'm only 5'10" but some guys like mids. My earlier experience with Harley there was only 3 types of Harleys, Sportsters, dressers, and SuperGlides. I don't see much difference between LowRiders and SuperGlides, maybe in trim or foot controls, the differences you want to focus on are the ones we've stressed, full rear suspension vs Soft Tail, Solo seat vs two up, and two up seat usually makes mounting a sissy bar and strapping gear behind the rider easier. If you're not set on new, you also get to choose 74 vs 80 vs 88 vs 96 cubic inches, 4 vs 5 vs 6 speed tranny. Myself I don't prefer the wideGlide front end, but many guys do. I do like the fat 49mm front fork tubes on the 2006 and newer Dynas, SuperGlides and LowRiders. And 2006 is when the 6 speed tranny showed up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Softail = (+) Style, (-) comfort on long rides, (ok) handling
Touring = (-) modern style (+)Trad style (+) comfort, (ok) handling
Dyna = (ok) Styling, (ok) comfort, (+) handling
Vrod = (+) Style (-) comfort (+) handling

Just my 2 cents, I am sure opinions will differ.

·
Curmudgeon
7,040 Posts
Welcome take your time try a few sit on them if you can't try them out.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Good luck in your search. I have a 1200 Sportster XL custom and I am 5'7" and weigh 120-125 pounds. Dyna's seem to be the next most popular choice. But you are going about it wisely and when you decide - show us what you bought. Welcome to the forum from Missouri.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts