Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks. First I suppose I should say that I just got this bike at Christmas time. Present from the Wife. Learned a lot. Wanna learn more. A couple pics are attached.

I did 330 miles on my Street Glide today. I wore a new stiff leather jacket, which I completely forgot about after 20 miles. Rode through some pretty heavy rain with no rain gear. No highway pegs....no lower wind deflectors or crash bar chaps. All in all it was a BLAST!

I do have some observations though. First the head buffeting was pretty crazy at 75 miles an hour. Just on a hunch I took my helmet off (a cheap half helmet) halfway home on the return leg of the trip and discovered the buffeting was decreased to a NOTICEABLE extent. I think this may have been the air coming from the bottom and hitting the exposed portion of the helmet right above my ears. Will have to do something else for the longer trips. It's the only thing I can think of that would contribute to the DECREASE in head wobbling at speed (after I removed the helmet.)

There were 4 distinct cones of air coming up from around the sides of the gas tank. Nothing over the fairing. Just from down below. The two smaller cones were near the forks and the 2 larger cones of air were about mid way between the seat and forks. When I rode through the rain, those cones of air took the water right up into my 'cockpit'. It really wasn't as a dry a ride as I thought it would be. In fact I had to slow way down because of wet glasses. Took those off only to discover that my eye balls got just as wet as the glasses and it was impossible to even keep them open...so I leaned waaaay into the fairing and found some relief.

Bike has the stock Sundowner seat and that won't do for these kinds of trips. My rear is still complaining.

Anyway - just wanted to say I did it. Any input regarding anything is most appreciated. It's great to be in the wind again. I missed it dearly.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
That's a nice looking ride, welcome back! It seems like quite a few guys raise the height of the windshield a bit to help with some of that buffeting along with some other tricks that you can find on here. I must be the right height myself, as I'm not bothered too badly by buffeting, or it could be that once I get new bars to take care of the shoulder pain and hand numbness, then a new seat to take care of the pain and numbness on the other end I'll notice the buffeting more...

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,117 Posts
Nice scoot, three things come to mind. A baffle on your triple tree, this will keep air coming from the front of the tank, and take your visor off your helmet. Your windscreen should be about eye level, if your getting some relief by ducking down you might need a taller screen. Just my .02. Welcome back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice Christmas gift! Great to get back on a bike after time away from it. Nothing like the feeling at the end of a long day. It's a good tired.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Welcome aboard.

First off, congrats on the new bike. The fork baffle, side wings, and a taller shield will help to a extent, but that updraft is there to stay.

Look at my goatee...(friends GF thought it was hilarious enough to take a pic...:laugh)

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1420339521.310772.jpg

Hard lower fairings is about the only thing that will really knock it for good. Some will argue it, but I tried everything to get rid of it. (My bike is now a RG... :D)

Your seat is not a Sundowner, that is just a stock seat. Soft lowers at the least, are almost required to stay "somewhat" dryer in the rain, will help with your feet, but you definitely want good rain gear. Something more than just glasses for your eyes as well....which reminds me I need something for that too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcomes and advice fellas. Definitely going to start hunting for some solutions (hard lowers etc.) for that updraft thing. Was thinking of trying the crash bar chaps first cuz they are cheap.

Anyway - thanks. Really appreciate the advice.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes and advice fellas. Definitely going to start hunting for some solutions (hard lowers etc.) for that updraft thing. Was thinking of trying the crash bar chaps first cuz they are cheap.

Anyway - thanks. Really appreciate the advice.

Those are "soft lowers" and not recommend much above 60 deg ambient temp. The motor will run too hot.

Check out eBay, Matuza makes some hard vented lowers a lot cheaper than the HD stuff, and not bad quality. Paint will cost you, but they do make a difference, especially for your wife if she plans to ride, when your feet are up on the highways.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
The noggin shakin' can be improved with a different helmet; or at the very least, a helmet that fits your properly. Someone has already mentioned removing the visor, which is a good idea. The Akoury helmet is a slimmer, sleeker helmet than the "mushroom" helmets. The Akoury is DOT approved too.

Akoury Helmets - Home

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Helmet buffeting can be harsh, depending on the bike, the speed, the windshield and the helmet. Most riders keep trying to get rid of helmet buffeting by changing windshields or adjusting the windshield angle. It usually does not work because a lot of air comes up from behind the windshield.

On my 2009 Dyna FXD, I only install the windshield in cold weather because of buffeting issues. As good as my windshield is, Memphis Fats with a wing wind deflector, it can't do anything for the wind that rises vertically behind it.

After doing some experimenting, I figured out that most of that wind is pushed upwards from where it impacts my nearly vertical lower legs. If I put my feet on the passenger pegs, the helmet buffeting nearly goes away. If I hold my arm horizontally across my chest, it reduces the buffeting to almost nothing.

On some Harleys, recurved windshields to help push the airstream a couple of inches higher, often times missing your helmet. That can help a lot if you are indeed receiving buffeting from the airstream that is leaving the top of the windshield.

Half-helmets are notorious for taking a beating from wind buffeting. The wind catches under the edge of the helmet and can develop some horrific oscillations. 3/4 helmets and full-face helmets tend to do better at dissipating the wind.

I replaced my stock seat with a Sundowner. It is a nice seat. You are the first person that I have talked to who didn't think that the Sundowner was a plush rude.

Getting caught in the rain any time of year without rain gear can be uncomfortable. This time of year it can lead to hypothermia, or worse. A crash bar with vinyl lowers can keep a lot of road spray off off your feet and lower legs. By blocking the airstream, it can keep you warmer too.

Pete

Howdy folks. First I suppose I should say that I just got this bike at Christmas time. Present from the Wife. Learned a lot. Wanna learn more. A couple pics are attached.

I did 330 miles on my Street Glide today. I wore a new stiff leather jacket, which I completely forgot about after 20 miles. Rode through some pretty heavy rain with no rain gear. No highway pegs....no lower wind deflectors or crash bar chaps. All in all it was a BLAST!

I do have some observations though. First the head buffeting was pretty crazy at 75 miles an hour. Just on a hunch I took my helmet off (a cheap half helmet) halfway home on the return leg of the trip and discovered the buffeting was decreased to a NOTICEABLE extent. I think this may have been the air coming from the bottom and hitting the exposed portion of the helmet right above my ears. Will have to do something else for the longer trips. It's the only thing I can think of that would contribute to the DECREASE in head wobbling at speed (after I removed the helmet.)

There were 4 distinct cones of air coming up from around the sides of the gas tank. Nothing over the fairing. Just from down below. The two smaller cones were near the forks and the 2 larger cones of air were about mid way between the seat and forks. When I rode through the rain, those cones of air took the water right up into my 'cockpit'. It really wasn't as a dry a ride as I thought it would be. In fact I had to slow way down because of wet glasses. Took those off only to discover that my eye balls got just as wet as the glasses and it was impossible to even keep them open...so I leaned waaaay into the fairing and found some relief.

Bike has the stock Sundowner seat and that won't do for these kinds of trips. My rear is still complaining.

Anyway - just wanted to say I did it. Any input regarding anything is most appreciated. It's great to be in the wind again. I missed it dearly.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Beautiful looking bike. Love that color red. Looking to buy a newer bike next year. Will need to take a look at that model.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice looking ride? Question since I just got my bike which is a Road Glide, isn't the fairing vent supposed to help with the buffeting?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those are "soft lowers" and not recommend much above 60 deg ambient temp. The motor will run too hot.

Check out eBay, Matuza makes some hard vented lowers a lot cheaper than the HD stuff, and not bad quality. Paint will cost you, but they do make a difference, especially for your wife if she plans to ride, when your feet are up on the highways.
I will look into this as a primary option. I'm a big fan being able to identify whom to pay attention to so I will take this advice firmly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The noggin shakin' can be improved with a different helmet; or at the very least, a helmet that fits your properly. Someone has already mentioned removing the visor, which is a good idea. The Akoury helmet is a slimmer, sleeker helmet than the "mushroom" helmets. The Akoury is DOT approved too.

Akoury Helmets - Home
Will do.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your input.

I've been corrected by 2stang8689. I don't have the Sundowner. It's just the stock Street Glide seat that looks a lot like a Sundowner. I'm taking his word for it cuz I don't know any different factually.

The source of my head wobbling is strictly limited to the 4 cones of air coming from around the tank and forks. No air contacts me from over the windshield. I think it's position (height) relative to my head is perfect. Atleast my head and my hand tell me this. In fact, I don't even know how tall my windshield is but it seems perfect.

Helmet buffeting can be harsh, depending on the bike, the speed, the windshield and the helmet. Most riders keep trying to get rid of helmet buffeting by changing windshields or adjusting the windshield angle. It usually does not work because a lot of air comes up from behind the windshield.

On my 2009 Dyna FXD, I only install the windshield in cold weather because of buffeting issues. As good as my windshield is, Memphis Fats with a wing wind deflector, it can't do anything for the wind that rises vertically behind it.

After doing some experimenting, I figured out that most of that wind is pushed upwards from where it impacts my nearly vertical lower legs. If I put my feet on the passenger pegs, the helmet buffeting nearly goes away. If I hold my arm horizontally across my chest, it reduces the buffeting to almost nothing.

On some Harleys, recurved windshields to help push the airstream a couple of inches higher, often times missing your helmet. That can help a lot if you are indeed receiving buffeting from the airstream that is leaving the top of the windshield.

Half-helmets are notorious for taking a beating from wind buffeting. The wind catches under the edge of the helmet and can develop some horrific oscillations. 3/4 helmets and full-face helmets tend to do better at dissipating the wind.

I replaced my stock seat with a Sundowner. It is a nice seat. You are the first person that I have talked to who didn't think that the Sundowner was a plush rude.

Getting caught in the rain any time of year without rain gear can be uncomfortable. This time of year it can lead to hypothermia, or worse. A crash bar with vinyl lowers can keep a lot of road spray off off your feet and lower legs. By blocking the airstream, it can keep you warmer too.

Pete

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice looking ride? Question since I just got my bike which is a Road Glide, isn't the fairing vent supposed to help with the buffeting?
Yes. This I know after 2 days at the dealership working on getting what I wanted for what I wanted to pay.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
The fairing vent ONLY applies to 2014 and up fairings.

Thanks for your input.

I've been corrected by 2stang8689. I don't have the Sundowner. It's just the stock Street Glide seat that looks a lot like a Sundowner. I'm taking his word for it cuz I don't know any different factually.

The source of my head wobbling is strictly limited to the 4 cones of air coming from around the tank and forks. No air contacts me from over the windshield. I think it's position (height) relative to my head is perfect. Atleast my head and my hand tell me this. In fact, I don't even know how tall my windshield is but it seems perfect.
Give me a minute, I'll show you the stock seat (which you have) next to the Sundowner....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts