Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start by saying I bought my first Harley, a Sportster back in 1972. It ended up an Arlen Ness custom and from there to Super Glide and then on to an early Low Rider. Sold the bike got married, did the family thing until last July when my 20 year old son got the bug and had to have a scooter. Well he was talking crotch rocket this and that until i got him to the HD showroom and he saw an 883 Iron. Well he bought an 07 883 and immediately started to change this add that, paint this and make it his. Sound familiar? Frankly I got sick of watching him pull out of the drive way everyday and after 30 years i went and bought an 08 Ultra. We took our first ever motorcycle trip this past weekend just the old man and his son up through the North Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee Mnts. I learned a lot,, First, Looking to your side and seeing your son beside you is the best feeling in the world. Second, I was not the only person old or young that has tremendous respect (FEAR) of the Dragon's Tail. I had serious reservations about running it until I talked to other riders there. We did it and we did see a dresser down in a curve but thankfully he wasn't hurt. Third, We got a lot more miles to go together. He's still a college student with one more year to go and more weekend trips this summer. My advise is anyone in a similar situation. I'm 60 years old now, don't think you're too old to kiss the wind again. If you have a son or daughter that rides,,get beside them. We just had the best weekend ever!!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
I'll start by saying I bought my first Harley, a Sportster back in 1972. It ended up an Arlen Ness custom and from there to Super Glide and then on to an early Low Rider. Sold the bike got married, did the family thing until last July when my 20 year old son got the bug and had to have a scooter. Well he was talking crotch rocket this and that until i got him to the HD showroom and he saw an 883 Iron. Well he bought an 07 883 and immediately started to change this add that, paint this and make it his. Sound familiar? Frankly I got sick of watching him pull out of the drive way everyday and after 30 years i went and bought an 08 Ultra. We took our first ever motorcycle trip this past weekend just the old man and his son up through the North Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee Mnts. I learned a lot,, First, Looking to your side and seeing your son beside you is the best feeling in the world. Second, I was not the only person old or young that has tremendous respect (FEAR) of the Dragon's Tail. I had serious reservations about running it until I talked to other riders there. We did it and we did see a dresser down in a curve but thankfully he wasn't hurt. Third, We got a lot more miles to go together. He's still a college student with one more year to go and more weekend trips this summer. My advise is anyone in a similar situation. I'm 60 years old now, don't think you're too old to kiss the wind again. If you have a son or daughter that rides,,get beside them. We just had the best weekend ever!!
Thats is pure awesome right there. Congradulations!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have 3 sons that all ride and I usually have at least two of them with me on my long road trips. It seems that if we aren't hunting together, we are riding together. It doesn't get any better than that. Glad to hear you are having fun.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Very cool all the way around, I would love to be able to take a road trip with my sons. They currently do not ride, so I have to work on their skill development.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
That is just really great to hear! My son does not ride, but I did get to play golf with him and my son-in-law this past weekend. We had a great time; it's awesome when the children like to hang with the ole man.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Good post. We were on some of the same roads as you were, the week before you. Beautiful country. There's some good (not twisty) riding around here also. I'm south of you in Warner Robins.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great Times

My son does not ride motorcycles but we ride snowmobiles together & I agree it is a great feeling to see him with me. Many times along with my daughter we ride together. My daughter has a friend that rides a Ultra Classic & we have done a few day trips with him & her on his bike. It makes you feel great to spend time together enjoying what we all like to do.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I've never had the pleasure other than them as a passenger. They are 4 and 8. My daughter is married and lives in Alaska. That being said, I enjoy any time I get to spend with the boys, even if it's just crackin' up watchin' Spongebob!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anything done with kids whether golf, Spongebob, or riding anything is amazing! Reaperman, I hope you and yours are safe in Oklahoma and yes Breeze3at we do have good roads to ride around here!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I live in Oklahoma and my daughter lives in Nashville. Last year we stayed in Marysville and did the Dragon several times along with the Charhola Parkway, Gatlinburg, and many scenic rides in that area. I'm 75 and she is 50. Riding together was a bucket list item for both of us.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Nice post Rick, if you went to the Harley dealer there, Is old Grover still alive? He was the oldest living Harley dealer left just a few years ago. I remember when he started down on 2nd St. I'm a transplant from Macon to Utah. That's the reason for my user name (Udawg). A Georgia Bulldog transplanted to Utah. Enjoy all those days you can my friend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My son is down in Texas and he is coming home on leave in a couple of weeks. He wants to take his bike back to Texas with him so I immediately volunteered to ride with him ( to make sure he gets there ok right). So we will be going from the KC area to San Antonio and we are both really looking forward to the ride. Then I get the long ride back by myself.

·
Señor Member
19,591 Posts
Way to go, Rick.

Pipe, make sure that ride of the coast gets a thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree 100%

As a MOM, I agree that getting time to ride with my sons is great! Both of my sons have Sportsters and I had the privilege of introducing my oldest son how to ride. We have put many miles on our bikes together. My younger son has moved several hours away with his job and has commented many times how much he wishes he lived closer so we could ride together more.

I have always done a lot with my boys, traveling the country as they wrestled, so this is natural for us to have good quality time together. How more awesome can it get, though, with sharing the road together on our Sportys!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts