Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just bought my first Sportster. It is an '07 1200 Sportster XL. This is also my first bike. I am excited to start riding, but there are a couple of things I need to change first. I want to convert the handlebars back to a more stock height. I've seen some handlebars for sale, but I am lost on what cables and lengths to buy.

I also want to convert it back to mid controls from forward controls. I see a lot of kits to go the other way. But not much to go back to mid.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2006 Sportster XL883C/1275cc
11 Posts
What bars are on the bike now? How tall are they? Most Sportsters can usually accommodate up to a 10” set of bars before changing any cables/lines/wires. So if you have 10” mini apes then chances are nothing but the bars were changed and you can swap right back to factory bars without replacing anything else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also it’s pretty easy to put Mids on the bike. I know that a lot of people prefer to have forward controls due to comfort but it all depends on the style you’re looking for. Someone might be willing to trade you for your forwards but If I were you I would ride it around for a bit to see if you like them. Personally I like my Forwards on my Sporty better than the Mids it came with

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where are you located? If you’re close I would trade you for all the cables and lines and stuff and give you my factory bars. I’m getting ready to put my 12” bars on my bike in a few weeks and need to get the cables and lines for it.

·
Retired citizen
26,434 Posts
I believe they are 12", and I know that the previous owner did change all the cables to longer braided cables.
You can use the cables and brake lines that are on the bike now as long as you don't get taller bars. Of course the cables are going to be to long if you go with the stock Sportster bars but they'll work for the time being.
This being your first bike and first Sportster I advise you that installing new cables won't be a cake walk for ya, especially the clutch cable and front brake lines.
I suggest to ride the bike as is for a season, get the service manual to read while sitting on the shitter and change the bars over the off season after you've schooled yourself !

·
Registered
11 Posts
You should be able to just keep the wiring the same and just tuck the slack into the riser housing and zip tie it to keep it from vibrating back out and swap the clutch and throttle cables for factory and put the factory front brake line back on. It’s a really simple job but a little intimidating at first if you never done anything like this before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are you located? If you’re close I would trade you for all the cables and lines and stuff and give you my factory bars. I’m getting ready to put my 12” bars on my bike in a few weeks and need to get the cables and lines for it.
I am in Miami. I would love to be able to trade you the parts.

I've tried to ride it, but I'm short and the tall bars just feel really awkward to me. I'll definitely feel much more comfortable riding with the shorter bars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I sent you a message about trading. I’m not sure where you can get the Mid-Controls. I would try the classifieds on here first and maybe flea-bay or Craigslist or something. There has to be someone who wants Forwards and is willing to trade you for them.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You can try rotating the bars toward you, it might be easier to reach. Just need to loosen up the clamp and see if it helps. It that works for you then you can loosed the controls and rotate them.

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
I'm with ya' H. High bars and forward controls on your first bike (I assume a new rider) would be a handful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone,

I just bought my first Sportster. It is an '07 1200 Sportster XL. This is also my first bike. I am excited to start riding, but there are a couple of things I need to change first. I want to convert the handlebars back to a more stock height. I've seen some handlebars for sale, but I am lost on what cables and lengths to buy.

I also want to convert it back to mid controls from forward controls. I see a lot of kits to go the other way. But not much to go back to mid.

I have a 1200 sporty and as others have mentioned, ride your bike for a few months as is, mid controls get a little uncomfortable if you ride a lot. Being able to stretch your legs a little may be something you crave after riding for a while. I even use the crash bar foot rest on my bagger after riding a while. Good luck.
Hello everyone,

BTW, I checked the oil in my 1999 1200 sporty after sitting all winter, it showed about 1/2 quart low. I added the oil without starting the bike and letting the " drained down oil" get pumped BACK INTO THE OIL TANK! I rode it down the road and blew out that extra half quart and my dipstick. This never happened on my earlier 1967/68 sporties, just saying!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts