Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a "new to me" 05 RK and will be going to 95. Bike has 13k+ miles on it. I would like to get some opinions on just getting one of those
'Made in the USA" on-line kits or sending mine off for the bore. Of those "Made in the USA" kits, does anyone know who in the US of A makes'm ? Has anyone used one ? Thanks Ronny

·
Maddog
394 Posts
Just get yours bored

I would get some J&E pistons and have your cylinders bored (.120").
Make sure you use a machine shop that uses torque plates for the
boring/honing process.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I just got a "new to me" 05 RK and will be going to 95. Bike has 13k+ miles on it. I would like to get some opinions on just getting one of those
'Made in the USA" on-line kits or sending mine off for the bore. Of those "Made in the USA" kits, does anyone know who in the US of A makes'm ? Has anyone used one ? Thanks Ronny
We've bored those to 98" here since 2006.
Scott

·
Maddog
394 Posts
go 98",pretty much the same price as 95".
Only problem I see with that is what is: What if you need to bore it
again at some point? For three cubic inches, I would stay with 95"
(unless it's a drag racer and you need every last little bit). But for a
street bike? Really???

This is JMHO though. Take it with a grain of salt...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cylinders are a dime a dozen. If you need to re bore pick another set up. Not to much of a big deal.

I will be going to a 98" myself. Going to be ordering soon.

Bruce

·
Maddog
394 Posts
Dime a dozen?

BTW: They're not all that cheap once you pay shipping. And I don't
know what you pay for cylinder boring, but I charge extra for
hogging .125" vs. a .020" cleanup cut/hone. And if you get them
cryo'ed, add in some more $$$! Don't forget about having the bases
turned down again to get the squish right too.

So I have to respectfully disagree with your assertion that cylinders
are a dime a dozen. Once you do all that work to them, they're
worth allot more than a set of flea-bay take-offs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the info. Going to do 95 with some mild head work & cams. I just want a little more gitty-up on this RK with the bride/stuff on board. She got tired of steer'n her own so we passed it on. See how long B*tch on back last.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well I look at it this way.

If you are going to put the time and money out to build an engine you might as well go as far as you can with a set amount of money. If you build it right it is going to last the average guy 10 yrs. plus. In the mean time you can always keep an eye out for someone who is getting rid of a good set of cylinders cheap to put on the self for your next build if that even happens. Most guys after 10 yrs. are most likely going to upgrade to something different.

If you are going to have to rebuild before the ten years then that more than likely means something catastrophic happen with your motor and you are more than likely going to have to by new cylinders any ways.

What I mean mostly is these engines are pretty cheap to build compared to doing up a big block Chevy or something. If it happens that you have to pick up a set of cylinders down the road it is not going to break the bank and it is going to be a very small portion of the cost of the new build.

Bruce

1 - 11 of 11 Posts