Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front tire. Pisha No problem. Rear, now that was fun. The shop manual makes it sound so easy. They neglect to say remove top exhaust pipe to remove axle. Minor point. The other challenge "Remove caliper bolts and tie caliper out of the way" Excuse me. How do I get the bottom caliper bolt out? THE CROSSOVER TUBE IS IN THE SAME PLANE AS THE BOLT AND TOO CLOSE TO GET A TORX SOCKET IN. I managed to rotate the caliper out of the way enough to have my wife push the axle out and then the tire came out. All is well and I learned a lot. I don't under stand the caliper mount. It seems to float and then I was able to get a torx socket in and take it out is the floating normal or is something broke? Can I put the axle in from the left so I don't have to remove the pipe to remove the tire in the future? I wanted to check the pads since I am due for 10k service and yes they are shot. Previous owner must have been a back braker. The fronts are good but I will change them since the are off. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
39,570 Posts
Yes, you can install the axle from the left.

The rear caliper will have some play in the mount with the rear axle removed.
Harley calipers are floating side to side.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts