Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am going to be a new rider and I do not know what bike I should get, either a Dyna or an Iron 883. That's one part, also how much CC should I look for so I have enough power to get up to speed but not too much? If you have ridden either or both of these bikes please share your experience and overall review of it. Thanks for your time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
If you are a new rider buy a cheap bike like a used Honda Shadow and ride it for a while to get your feet wet. You will hate yourself the first time you ding an expensive Harley from a learning experience.

Having said that, Dyna's rock.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
What he said. You can pick up a used shadow 600cc for under 2k, ride it for a year and sell it for about what you paid for it. Then move up to a Harley.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright thankyou, i will start looking on the market for one and after a year or so i will look for a Dyna to make mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do not disagree with the responses provided already, they are sound advice. However, I will share my personal experience. I started on an 883, and yes I did put it down once but thank God with little damage except to my pride. After about six months I upgraded to a Dyna Low Rider, and could not be happier. So, if you have a burning desire to begin the adventure on a Harley, I would suggest buying a used 883. There are plenty out there with very low miles because riders soon upgrade if they really get the riding bug. When you are comfortable with your skill level I cannot say enough good about the FXDL. I absolutely love my Dyna! In my opinion, for what it's worth, the Low Rider is the best all around, everyday bike in the Harley inventory. You throw a sissybar and luggage rack on it and you have the pickup of the motorcycle world. I ride mine every day as my primary vehicle and would not trade it for ANY other bike.

Take it slow and easy.

·
Be alive!
131 Posts
I do not disagree with the responses provided already, they are sound advice. However, I will share my personal experience. I started on an 883, and yes I did put it down once but thank God with little damage except to my pride. After about six months I upgraded to a Dyna Low Rider, and could not be happier. So, if you have a burning desire to begin the adventure on a Harley, I would suggest buying a used 883. There are plenty out there with very low miles because riders soon upgrade if they really get the riding bug. When you are comfortable with your skill level I cannot say enough good about the FXDL. I absolutely love my Dyna! In my opinion, for what it's worth, the Low Rider is the best all around, everyday bike in the Harley inventory. You throw a sissybar and luggage rack on it and you have the pickup of the motorcycle world. I ride mine every day as my primary vehicle and would not trade it for ANY other bike.

Take it slow and easy.
I buy this for shure ...

I started directly in 2008 with 2008 FXDB Street Bob and now from June with FXDL ...
Nothing to regret, nothing to complain ...

·
Registered
237 Posts
All of this really depends on your riding skill level. Have you ridden before? I started out on dirt bikes, so when I bought my first street bike I was very comfortable getting on it and riding. If you've never ridden before, have you driven a car with a manual transmission? I've found, when helping others learn to ride, that having driven a stick helps in getting the feel for the clutch and shifting.

All that being said, if you've ridden before, buy an 883 and go riding. If you've never ridden before, buy a cheap small light bike so you can get used to riding, then move up to what you want.

I started with Harley's with an 02 883 Custom. Great bike, nice and light, although a little top heavy like most Sportsters. I then moved to an 05 Dyna Superglide. From there I moved on to an 07 Dyna Street Bob. The Street Bob is definitely my Dyna of choice. Love the mini apes. Very comfortable riding position for me.

Keep us updated on your progress, and make sure you post pictures.

Later,
KrustyTC

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hello, I am going to be a new rider and I do not know what bike I should get, either a Dyna or an Iron 883. That's one part, also how much CC should I look for so I have enough power to get up to speed but not too much? If you have ridden either or both of these bikes please share your experience and overall review of it. Thanks for your time. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I've owned more bikes than I can count. I've owned an 883 a 1200Custom and now the Dyna Low Rider. The two sportsters had enough power and were light to handle. I especially loved the 1200. The Dyna is much more sluggish off the red light or stop sign and is much heavier. I would start smaller and ride for about a year putting at least 5000 miles on the machine before I went bigger and heavier. The Dyna Low rider, is much more comfortable for cruising all day but much heavier in traffic. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
190 Posts
We have an 883 and a Dyna, both are fun bikes out of the box. At the end of the day a Dyna is a better long term solution, you can tweak it out to be a powerful and comfortable all day rider. Unless you're a really small person the 883 will always be a small short ride rig you'll find yourself wanting to replace before long if it's your only bike.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I agree with all the other posts but if you are really new be sure to take a rider safety course and then practice in a parking lot until you feel ready to go out in traffic.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Nice thing about those 80's Honda's and Yamaha's, they hold their value and they are damn near bullet-proof. You can pick up one for 500 bucks or so, fix it up little, ride it a lot, get your feet wet on a 750 cc bike that won't let you get into too much trouble. Then after a few months sell the bike for more than you paid and move on to your dream bike with a lot more confidence. My first ride was a Honda CB200 that was one of those, "That thing doesn't even run, get it out of my garage. 30 minutes later after I went through the carb I had it running. Sold it for $500 six months later. They are out there... doesn't matter what it looks like, it isn't your dream bike anyway. Its a means to an end while at the same time giving you your best chance at a good newbie riding experience. Good luck. enjoy...

·
Registered
844 Posts
you know the rules.....no pictures........it didn't happen . :wink
I have tried to post pics and have not been successful. So, no pics, not necessarily did not happen! Computers seem to require a certain amount of intuitiveness which a lot of us don't have.

·
Registered
844 Posts
My wife had some experience in the 70's & 80's with a 1978 1/2 Super Glide. In 2014 she bought a xl883l sportster. Rode it 16 months and put 22,000 miles on it. 2 months ago, she traded it in for a Dyna Switchback (FLD). She said it was easier handling and all around better ride than her Sportster.
The comments here about getting an inexpensive bike are good. Still, since it is you, it will be how you feel about it. good luck!!

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
We had a Shadow being passed around new riders in our HOG group. It was cheap and those that had it moved on to the Harley of their choice.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
First bike after a 30 year absence from riding was a brand new '11 Super Glide Custom. Laid it down at almost full stop twice and never did any damage. (Engine Guards are your friend.) This after riding about a week on a friends little 250.

That said if you want to take trips of any length especially with riders of larger bikes go with at least a Dyna. If you are going to be around town only then a Sportster will be fine.

P.S. In Harleyland we don't talk about CCs we measure in inches. The is 'merica damn it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NEW PROBLEM
My mom wants me to get a vespa, she wont let me get a motorcycle because of the hot riding she sees on YouTube and the insane crashes/tricks on Facebook. She has been on the highway and almost nicked quite a few motorcyclists that go 100mph by her. What should i do now? thinking that i should go along with the vespa and get a motorcycle license then try to say that i may need something with more UMF like a Honda shadow like what people said earlier and say that in a situation that i may need a motor with 250cc and not 150cc in case i need to suddenly speed up. ( from what i saw on Craigs list they were cheaper and better quality). Should i try the thing of this is better and it looks better.... Thanks for all the other comments. Forgot to say i am new here

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
welcome to the forum all good advice get the engine guards all that being said my first bike was Harley sportster was not new and didn't have to worry about dropping or scratching it some might have called it a rat bike but that was in 1977 and bike was 1969 older than learned to ride on it not the best advice bike would do 90 plus when running
and you could go maybe 100 miles and still keep teeth in your head if you were tough

1 - 20 of 35 Posts