Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Fatboy that I picked up a few months ago. Rode it enough and did enough research on options to improve the fit that I think I know how I want to proceed. But thought I'd see what others think that have had to make similar changes, either for themselves or others.

I am 5'4" and have about a 30" inseam. The bike has the Sundowner seat on it.

I'm thinking that I will send my seat out to Mean City Cycles and have them move me forward by 1" or 1 1/2". I will probably also go for 1/2" to 1" lower and have them narrow the seat as well.

Any more than that and I'm afraid that I'll feel like I'm sitting on top of the gas tank, which I definitely don't want. That should be enough to get my legs into position while riding and while stopped.

Once I get the seat back and have been able to ride it for a bit to see how I like it relative to the handlebars also. Then I'll look at some pull back risers to move the handles bar back about 1" or so, but probably not much more than that.

What have other short guys done and what specific changes did you make?

Thanks.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
You can always have the bike lowered.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I did think about that. I wanted to make some changes to the seat no matter what so figured I'd start with that. Plus I'm not at all concerned about being able to 'flat foot' both feet when stopped.

In any case, if the seat change doesn't do what I want, I can certainly have it lowered after that.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
A friend of mine has a FB and it sits really low , he has to crawl over driveway entrances , his frame has less than 3" of ground clearance , too low IMO .

That Sundowner seat is no help to the inseam challenged with the large side bolsters. Harley or Mustang have reduced reach seats that would put you in a better position. The Mustang has a narrower front that helps reaching the ground , Harley seat pushs you forward a bit.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Have you tried a stock seat for the Fatboy? I had 99 Fatboy and I didn't have any issues. I'm your height as well. Whatever you do, don't lower the bike. It's already pretty low. Just find the right seat and you'll be good to go.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I have a 30" inseam and an Ultimate Lowboy seat fit me perfectly on a '14 Ultra.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I am reluctant to lower the bike due to how it sits already. That's why I was thinking that was the last option.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got closer to the ground with a road zeppelin air adjustable seat. Happy with the choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts