Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year ago I moved from a 3 garage house to a condo with a single garage. I sold my 2006 Street Glide before I moved. I have finally cleared out the single car garage as best I can and am trying to figure out if I can fit a new Road King and my Audi A4 in the garage. The only possible space for the Road King is parallel to the back wall of the garage. Then I would park the car behind it. The amount of space I would have there with the car also behind it is 132" wide and 48" deep. I think that's enough space for the Road King. My question is can a Road King be backed into the garage and turned 90 degrees to park parallel to that back wall? is there enough width to maneuver the bike 90 degrees? I need to figure this out before I buy it. Also if a Road King cant be maneuvered in that width, what Harley models would have a sharper turning radius and might work. (other than really small Sportster types). Thanks for any help.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
Park the car in the driveway in front of the garage door, keep the Road King inside the garage, close the door, walk back to your computer, go from here to the "New to the Community" section, and post an introduction of yourself. Then, sit back and relax. Or go buy the Road King.

Welcome to the forum...

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,355 Posts
Buy the Road King and give the garage to it..park the Audi in the driveway where it belongs with the Road King inside. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
870 Posts
+1 on posting an introduction.

But as long as you got my attention, I park my Street Glide the same way you are talking about parking the Road King, only I do it in a double garage.

I think you would be doing ALOT of jockeying back and forth getting the bike positioned that way in a single stall garage, and after awhile it just becomes too big a PIA.

I would buy a decent bike jack, pull straight into the garage, shut the bike off and dismount, roll your little bike jack under the bike, jack the bike up just until the tires come of the ground then pivot the bike 90 degrees using the jack and then shove it up against the back wall.

Leave the bike on the jack (use the lock and take pressure off the bottle jack) and when your ready to take the bike out, rotate her another 90 degrees, lower and remove the jack, and ride off into the sunset.

They actually make a turntable device expressly for your predicament, but they are a lot more expensive than a simple bike jack. And with a bike jack you can do a lot of other things.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Welcome to forum, as Mongo said car in driveway,bike in garage. I tried to figure out how to fit both in garage,don't work big hassle. Just got my bike back from local HD storage (usually in a buddies garage for winter but had winter mods done and just got finished)it's warm now so BMW stays in drive way fatboy in the garage. Like the dolly idea tho,might look into that. Buy the RK park the car and enjoy it

·
Banned
853 Posts
Sounds like viper has the best solution. You have a nice care and living in new Jersey I'm sure you want to keep it out of the elements to keep it in good condition. Sears sells a nice MC Jack for $99. That's what I would do if it were me.
Welcome to the forum

Sent from my LGL45C using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll look into getting a jack. BTW it's my wife's Audi convertible and it owns the garage. So I'm working around it.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I had this problem at my old townhouse. I just bought a Craftsman jack. Lift the bike and roll it into place. Worked for me. Just measure the bike you are interested in. It should easily fit. As long as the floor of the garage is smooth enough to roll to jack you will be in business. It is up to you I you leave the bike on the jack. I am not a huge fan o doing it. You could always drop your bike to the ground and leave the jack under it. Just my thought.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Welcome from Bryan, TX. Please go tell us about yourself in the New to the Community section. Thanks.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I had this problem at my old townhouse. I just bought a Craftsman jack. Lift the bike and roll it into place. Worked for me. Just measure the bike you are interested in. It should easily fit. As long as the floor of the garage is smooth enough to roll to jack you will be in business. It is up to you I you leave the bike on the jack. I am not a huge fan o doing it. You could always drop your bike to the ground and leave the jack under it. Just my thought.

Correct.

NEVER leave your bike on a jack with weight on the bottle jack. Most jacks have a mechanical device that will prevent the jack from lowering while releasing all pressure from the bottle jack.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,777 Posts
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll look into getting a jack. BTW it's my wife's Audi convertible and she owns the vagina. So I'm working around it.

Fixed that for ya! :rofl:

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
I have a Road Glide and a Chevy Tahoe. Although we have a 2 car garage, when my wife's Buick Enclave is in the garage I effectively have a 1 car garage and I can tell you the bike can be manuveured into position. I ride the bike in--backing would be even more work--and then go to one side, cut the bars back the other way and back up (not very far) turn bars again and roll forward (not very much). So forth and so on a few times and then I have to get the bike parallel to the back wall of the garage in just the right distance from the wall. I even put the kickstand on a board so the bike stands a little more upright. Then I can pull my Tahoe in and I have markers as to where to stop--only leaves about 3-4" from the bike. And the garage door closes about 3-4" from my Tahoe.

So, it is easier moving the bike around if my wife's Buick is not in the garage but I can make do even with the Buick in the garage. And now that riding weather is breaking, unless I just washed/waxed my Tahoe it will sit out on the driveway and I can park my Roadie in the middle of my half of the garage.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
A year ago I moved from a 3 garage house to a condo with a single garage. I sold my 2006 Street Glide before I moved. I have finally cleared out the single car garage as best I can and am trying to figure out if I can fit a new Road King and my Audi A4 in the garage. The only possible space for the Road King is parallel to the back wall of the garage. Then I would park the car behind it. The amount of space I would have there with the car also behind it is 132" wide and 48" deep. I think that's enough space for the Road King. My question is can a Road King be backed into the garage and turned 90 degrees to park parallel to that back wall? is there enough width to maneuver the bike 90 degrees? I need to figure this out before I buy it. Also if a Road King cant be maneuvered in that width, what Harley models would have a sharper turning radius and might work. (other than really small Sportster types). Thanks for any help.
Just a tidbit, sportsters actually have a terrible turning radius. Quick and nimble on the road, semi truck in the garage. Trust me it is pretty scary. Anyway, maybe tire dollies would be easier than a jack. Just drive it onto them and move the bike around...

·
Registered
66 Posts
i came from a 1 car garage. pull the bike in head first favoring the right wall, turn to the left as you get to the back wall, nosing the front into the far left corner. stop. part the bike. then, I will " lift and drag" the rear of the bike to make it parallel with the back wall. I use pre-cut wood to block under the kickstand, so, when under, the bike will be almost vertical.can't go anywhere. then pull in my suv until it almost touches, but the door closes. its tight, but worked. now, my truck and suv sit outside, chevelle inside, with 3 bikes

·
Earthbound misfit, I
2,448 Posts
I have a Hog Pen so this isn't an issue for me.

That and the old lady's shit can sit outside.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts