Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up brand New FLD in June and it's been in the shop 6 times!
Some of it nit noid stuff but two chronic issues.
The front brake lever loses pressure and will eventually pull almost to the grip (they are gonna replace Master cylinder)
I've been smelling burnt oil at shut down since day one and finally last month,I'm leaking oil somewhere and it's showing up on the clutch cable under the bike.
It's not coming from the clutch, case or filter,the line is just wet cause it's a low point, but I can't find where it's leaking and the dealer gets shot number two at it
Some of these were multiple complaints on a visit,
The leak is in for its second time
The brake it's fourth time
Some of the other issues:
Rattle on floorboard 4visits to fix!!!!!
Missing from factory fuel cross over line missed on set up, one service call and the 1000 mile service.found on the forth time the bike was in
Bad vibration that turned out to be lose primary chain, had to find a service manager from a different shop to help me with the self adjust.
Keep in mind I don't ride daily cause I travel but half the miles on this bike are going to the shop and I've trailered it there twice!!!
Anybody with the oil and or brake issue?
I'm losing patients

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Is it engine oil or tranny ? The clutch cable going into the side cover of tranny sometimes leaks because its not tight enough. Mine was weeping a little and my sons Fatbob A friends Touring bike also. You need to look up torque spec, but I just turned it about 2 + flats and it snugged up..?? May as well check side cover bolts as well. There are 2 pipe plugs on front engine housing next to oil filter that can seep also. Again it was sons Fatbob.

·
Aaaaayyyyy
897 Posts
Sorry to hear about your woes, TR. I did have the front master cylinder cap on my replaced twice under warranty, it was leaking. Other than that, I have 54K miles on my 2012 Switchy now and have experienced none of the problems you are having.

Hope it all gets settled quickly!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi, the master cylinder was a known issue on some of the earlier FLDs, I've been lucky with mine.

Not heard of oil leak problems before on them.

Vibrations and rattles are known - often thought to be due to the exhaust mounting - simple to fix though.

Lots of info on the FLD Switchback forum - link below;

Harley Switchback/FLD Owners Group

1 - 4 of 4 Posts