Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I ride an "08" Rocker FXCW and am having a hard time getting the bars lined up straight with the forks/front wheel. By that I mean that when riding down the road the handle bars are strait across not twisted out of line with the triple trees. I am afraid it is due to my selection of components but not sure what I can do about it ? I have 9.5" risers on top of 2" riser extensions with 4" Z bars on top. I have loosened up everything, made sure the front wheel is straight and then re-torqued it all. no matter what I do the bars are soon out of line. I can have the front wheel held steady and twist the bars either direction quite a bit. This is with brand new bushings from J.P. or with my old ones either one.Would solid bushings do any good?
Thanks.........Colt.45

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hey guys
I ride an "08" Rocker FXCW and am having a hard time getting the bars lined up straight with the forks/front wheel. By that I mean that when riding down the road the handle bars are strait across not twisted out of line with the triple trees. I am afraid it is due to my selection of components but not sure what I can do about it ? I have 9.5" risers on top of 2" riser extensions with 4" Z bars on top. I have loosened up everything, made sure the front wheel is straight and then re-torqued it all. no matter what I do the bars are soon out of line. I can have the front wheel held steady and twist the bars either direction quite a bit. This is with brand new bushings from J.P. or with my old ones either one.Would solid bushings do any good?
Thanks.........Colt.45
If you have lined up your bars, and now they are out of line, something is "giving" and staying there.

Solid bushing would take one component out of the equation , allowing you to focus on the other components .

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Webco
Yeah I can have em lined up straight and everything tightened down. Then I can twist em to the side........either way....... and they stay twisted to the side. If the bushing just allowed the bars to twist then spring back...I could understand but they stay to the side. Could my riser bolts possibly be just a touch too long and although I torque em to 40ft. lbs. perhaps they are not compressing the bushings correctly? You know........tight enough that the bars don't feel loose but not quite totally tight either?
Thanks.............Colt

·
Banned
71 Posts
Webco
Yeah I can have em lined up straight and everything tightened down. Then I can twist em to the side........either way....... and they stay twisted to the side. If the bushing just allowed the bars to twist then spring back...I could understand but they stay to the side. Could my riser bolts possibly be just a touch too long and although I torque em to 40ft. lbs. perhaps they are not compressing the bushings correctly? You know........tight enough that the bars don't feel loose but not quite totally tight either?
Thanks.............Colt
Could be....try using a bolt just long enough to grab the first two threads to get it started.

Also, stacking all of the adapters up could be the problem too. Just a wee bit of a give will affect a change in where the bars end up . :)

·
Retired citizen
24,282 Posts
See if the riser bolts will tighten more, if not they're probably bottomed out.

·
On the loose
8,723 Posts
Do your risers have individual top clamps or do they share a single one ?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SCHMIDTYS >>>>> I have about come to that conclusion as well.I put 3 washers under the bolt heads last nite [equaled about 5/16"] and it seems like it is ok now. I will take it out today if the rain stops and actually see.

67Duce >>>>My top clamp is the one piece type.

Thank you all for the ideas.
Colt.45

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gene
Yeah I installed the new bushing when I switched bars,risers etc.
Colt.45

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had a similar issue with a set of H-D risers.
Once I swapped them (changed places) the problem disappeared.
I know, doesn't make any sense, but for whatever reason it worked.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jam 436
I did take it out.........same problem, bars start out straight but are soon 'tweaked' to the side a bit.
Do you mean
just put the right one in the left and vice versa?
If so I reckon I can try that too....?
Thanks.......Colt

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
Can you post a before and after photo? It might help see what's going on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts