Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Heritage Softail Classic FLSTC
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My bike (2017 Heritage) developed a leak in one of the hard oil lines going from the sump to the engine crankcase. I've learned that the hard lines have a tendency to crack due to vibration. Sort of makes sense, given that the lines are attached to the frame-mounted oil tank on one end and the vibrating engine on the other end. I'm wondering if there is a retrofit kit available that uses flexible lines instead, at least for the lower portion. This would allow the line to flex with the engine and hopefully avoid cracking. Any ideas? My bike has been repaired with OEM parts, but if it happened once in 25,000 miles it will happen again, probably...

·
Wayward Son
23,788 Posts
Pretty sure an aftermarket kit could be found.
Probably braided stsinless steel.
Also a member might know a source or two for custom made lines.

Google is also your friend.

·
Registered
40,433 Posts
The stock ones should have a braided 1.5" or so section in the middle of the line to keep them from work hardening and cracking. My Softail is an 05 and hasn't cracked the lines. Make sure you still have the line separators and the lines aren't touching anything else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock ones should have a braided 1.5" or so section in the middle of the line to keep them from work hardening and cracking. My Softail is an 05 and hasn't cracked the lines. Make sure you still have the line separators and the lines aren't touching anything else.
Thanks! I'll look at it when it comes back from the shop. I never paid much attention to them until they told me I had to replace them, and it's been at the shop ever since waiting on parts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks! I'll look at it when it comes back from the shop. I never paid much attention to them until they told me I had to replace them, and it's been at the shop ever since waiting on parts.
The engines are counter balanced and bolted directly to the frame.
I honestly don't see how the lines would crack under vibration but could happen I reckon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The engines are counter balanced and bolted directly to the frame.
I honestly don't see how the lines would crack under vibration but could happen I reckon.
Yeah, you'd think if it was a problem they'd have it figured out by now... The guy who told me about it has worked on Harleys forever and says its pretty random, doesn't seem to follow a bike age or mileage pattern. But that's what they figured it was.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, you'd think if it was a problem they'd have it figured out by now... The guy who told me about it has worked on Harleys forever and says its pretty random, doesn't seem to follow a bike age or mileage pattern. But that's what they figured it was.
Lucky you huh? Lol

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
650 Posts
I have the same engine in my '14 Deluxe and there is indeed a braided section in the lines as well as the lines being able to move a tad at the oil tank. If you still have a leak after they change those, I feel sorry for whomever you have to go see about it. Odd things can happen to anything, but that sure is gonna be interesting to see how this turns out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that sure is gonna be interesting to see how this turns out.
Yeah! Could be a quality issue with the manufacture of the lines too. There must be some reason why H-D warranty doesn't cover them. :cautious:

·
Retired citizen
23,844 Posts
Do ya have the extended warranty plan ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do ya have the extended warranty plan ?
YEP! Paid big bucks for that 2 years ago. I have one year left on it, never made a claim. Of course this was the first thing that I needed a warranty for and they did NOT cover the cost of the new line... f*ckers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got my bike back from the shop, and yes there is indeed a small section of braided line in the middle. I wiggled it to see how much it can flex, and the whole line moves all the way up to where it goes into the oil tank... is that normal? It doesn't seem tight enough to me, but I don't know what they are supposed to be like, since I didn't pay any attention to this before. Since I have a walking boot on my foot right now I can't go ride it. Might run it in the garage later and see if it leaks.

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
650 Posts
I got my bike back from the shop, and yes there is indeed a small section of braided line in the middle. I wiggled it to see how much it can flex, and the whole line moves all the way up to where it goes into the oil tank... is that normal? It doesn't seem tight enough to me, but I don't know what they are supposed to be like, since I didn't pay any attention to this before. Since I have a walking boot on my foot right now I can't go ride it. Might run it in the garage later and see if it leaks.
Mine does the same thing and if I recall correctly it is so that the lines do not break. Go figure. I hope it wasn't too much money.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine does the same thing and if I recall correctly it is so that the lines do not break. Go figure. I hope it wasn't too much money.
Couple hundred bucks. They need the right balance of support and flexibility. Mine moves quite a bit, I can hit the exhaust with it when I grab the braided part and wiggle it. Seems looser than my friend's 2016 Heritage. I can see why they crack now... when it moves at the flexible center, the hard line flexes at the lower fitting. I'm going to stop touching it now :LOL:

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
650 Posts
I'm going to stop touching it now :LOL:
I will not make a possibly offensive comment...
I will not make a possibly offensive comment
I will not make a possibly offensive comment....

Ok, I'm better now!

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
650 Posts
Good grief! If you can move them that far I'm gonna go ahead and say that is too much. Wow.

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
650 Posts
But, if there is no leak and it looks good you may wanna just leave it alone. Oh man I just set myself up with that sentence....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LMAO! I ran it for a few minutes and didn't see any leaks. Once my foot heals I'm going to ride it to another shop to get a second opinion. It just doesn't seem right.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts