Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
I love that part on PA. Grew up near there, RT.30 is is such a fun road.

Reactions: priell3

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So we postponed the ride to this weekend due to weather concerns. Hopefully I'll have a report Monday morning.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We did it! 450 miles. 3 couples on 4 bikes.

The weather started out cool but fair. After our stop for lunch and our last 30 or so miles of the ride to the memorial, it started to rain. We did the tour through the visitor center before riding to the hotel and dinner.

The next day dawned and the sun returned (mostly) so we rode back to the memorial before starting for home. We were able to walk to view the crash site, debris field and Wall Of Names. A moving experience.

Pics to come.

Reactions: ematicic

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The visitor center.

The dark walkway follows the flight path.

The flight path and the Wall of Names. The visitor center can be seen in the background.

The end of the Wall of Names and flight path looking toward the impact site. The boulder in the background indicates the crash site.

Crash site and debris field. This area is off limits to all but family of the victims as it is considered hallowed ground and is their final resting place.

The Tower of Voices.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you visit, we spent the night in Somerset, a short ride from the memorial. Food recommendations - for dinner we ate at the Pine Grill and at the Summit Diner for breakfast. Both excellent and reasonably priced (and across the street from each other).

·
Super Moderator
4,358 Posts
Wow that really grew since I visited 3 years ago! Thanks for the trip report and pictures, I want to go back again soon.

Reactions: priell3

·
Registered
829 Posts
That place always gets to me. I have visited several times. The visitor center is very powerful. Like I said, I have been several times but have yet to listen to the last calls from the passengers and crew in the visitor center. I guess it's just too much. Tremendous feel of reverence and respect. You can actually feel like you are in a special place. If I ever get another tattoo it's going to say "93. Let's Roll". I think history is going to remember that that moment was a turning point for our country, when we said, "Damnit that's enough". Thanks for sharing your pics and experiences. Be safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts