Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've ran a K&P for over 17,000 miles now and I'm very happy with it.
It's nice to be able to look inside the filter when servicing and see whats being trapped, plus the K&P looks better and has to offer some degree of better oil cooling over stock filters.

·
Old School Biker
193 Posts
I have used Wix filters for quite a while and had one engine builder ask me what oil and filter I used. I asked if there was a problem and he said, Oh No!, I just have never seen a motor with this many miles on it be so clean and show no wear signs. Later Fairshake

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm not hung up on microns. The PC Flo filter works and it looks cool. People ask me about it all the time. You can get them on Amazon for about $80 shipped during the winter months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LETS TALK CLEANABLE OIL FILTERS
Lets use some old fashion common sense here. There is no doubt that paper catches more particles than a screen does. In reality the screen will stop more particles than the paper will at all temperatures and RPM’s. Paper can only let so much oil through it at a time, cold engine oil is not filtered at all! The bypass in paper or media oil filter forces the oil bypass to open until it warms up to operating temperatures, even then the bypass opens to a point. At operating temperature, a paper or media filter filters best at an engine idle. Once the RPM’s start increase the bypass in a paper or media filter starts to open. The thinner the oil the less the bypass opens, like a 0/20 mobil1. The bypass will open less, the 20W50 the bypass will open more. It makes sense! Lets take another simple understanding about filters. When it comes to gas and diesel filters most if not all are paper filters. Those paper filters are on the suction side of the fuel pump. Put the same filter on the pressure side of the pump it’s a different story, the filter has to have a bypass or it will come apart to let the gas/diesel fuel by. Todays cars and pickup trucks most if not all are fuel injected. It takes a minimum of 40 PSI to satisfy the fuel rail. Where is the filter…. in the fuel tank on the suction side of the pump! So a paper or media oil filter is really no better than the stainless steel screen. In fact, the paper filters are letting bigger particles through than the stainless screens. Because the screen can let more oil through at a time than paper under pressure at 30 to 40 PSI. I’m using a Flo washable filter in my Harley Davidson. 5 Microns really sounds good to me or anyone else that wants their Harley Davidson to have the best oil filtering as possible. There is no way any filter, any filter can filter 5 microns constantly. I live in the Virginia Beach, VA area. It gets hot here at times, this past summer I made a trip to The Tail of The Dragon. 6 Months before I made the trip I installed a Ultra Cool oil cooler, and oil temperature gauge on my 2009 FLHX. It works! At 70MPH the oil temperature ran 230 degrees, the ambient temperature was 97 degrees. I got hit with a rain storm. Pulled over under cover to put my rain gear on and kept going. I noticed that in the rain my oil temperature was down to 170 degrees. In heavy traffic my oil temperature is 230 degrees, the fans come on at 195 degrees. I use AMSOIL 20W50 V Twin motor oil, and I feel comfortable with the oil and filter I'm using. As far as motor oils and filters go I'm good. As far as filtering oil goes, I stated the facts. These are not my opinions, ask any lubricating engineer you may know, I did! Years ago. It all makes perfect sense, common sense is very uncommon a lot of the times. "TAKE IT EASY WHILE YOU'RE GOING FAST"
Thanks for reading

·
Barney Fife - Poser
841 Posts
LETS TALK CLEANABLE OIL FILTERS
Lets use some old fashion common sense here. There is no doubt that paper catches more particles than a screen does. In reality the screen will stop more particles than the paper will at all temperatures and RPM’s. ...
Those 2 sentences contradict each other.

Did you really join the site over 3 years ago and hold out until now to make your first post, in a thread that had been dormant for 6 years?

I'm having a hard time processing this.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts