Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone else has had any issue with there floating rotors popping? I say popping but what its doing is making the front end feel like somthing is loose when hitting a bump(or something similer) while riding , i can also imitate it when I apply the front brake and push the front end up and down, the rotor makes a popping sound that you can also feel in the front end. It is visibly seen around the floating part where the rotor is joined as in this spot here in the pic
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1366891092.177664.jpg
Along with the popping of the rotor, as I push down I can visually see the wheel shift out then comes back as I let off?? cant find anything about this, anyone have any idea? 2012 wide glide- 17k miles, no recent tire changes.....

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Retired citizen
23,206 Posts
Floating rotors do make noise ! The older / more miles on them the noisier they get.
When the runout exceeds spec they need to be replaced.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Floating rotors do make noise ! The older / more miles on them the noisier they get.
When the runout exceeds spec they need to be replaced.
Thank you very much for the reply buddy, typically would 17k miles on then be normal wear or is this about normal? I just wonder if it could be pre mature and get it covered under warranty?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I know this is going to sound crazy but I watched a video, delboys garage. He performed service on those rotors using a bolt and nut and basically he says that those rotors get trash in those floating points and requires cleaning. Please look up delboys garage cleaning brakes video on youtube. I think you have the same problem he described before he cleaned them.

I hope that helps.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know this is going to sound crazy but I watched a video, delboys garage. He performed service on those rotors using a bolt and nut and basically he says that those rotors get trash in those floating points and requires cleaning. Please look up delboys garage cleaning brakes video on youtube. I think you have the same problem he described before he cleaned them.

I hope that helps.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Ok, u are the man!!! Thank u so much for this reply because that is exactly what was happening. The bobbin was seizing up so it was not allowing the rotor the flex and bend properly, instead the rotor would bind and pop! Heres the video link! Great advice fixed it right up!!! Thanks again, was driving me nuts!

·
Retired citizen
23,206 Posts
Hey good tip, I never tried that before ! I learned something new today !

·
Registered
96 Posts
thats an awesome tip. im gonna ask a noobish question since im a noob to harleys. the pop described above. i get the pop on the first stop of my ride maybe a few more times some where else down the road but no pulsating or anything like above. is this normal and should i be conserned. i just got me a 2013 dyna sb just hit 600 miles.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I adjusted the pucks on my floating rotors with an " easy out" and cordless drill....worked great.....had several that were completely stuck..freed them up and put one drop of machine oil on each one...not enough to run every where making a mess one drop...now they spin good...still have pulsating brake trouble..one rotor has runout with dial indicator ,fixing to get agresvive with it with a piece of wood and a hammer...if that don't work, I'am putting stock rotors on....

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Don't know how I missed this back when it was first posted. (2 yrs)

It's a great tip and a good preventative maintenance procedure.
I don't have any of those symptoms but I'm going to do the procedure any way, just because. It'll be interesting to see if any of
the 'bobbins' are gunked up and not moving. I didn't even realize that the were supposed to move.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
The easy out and drill works great.. I think you will find you will have several of them complely stuck..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts