160 pound driver
140 pound fender candy
147 pounds gear
6300 miles 2 up loaded with gear
2759 commuting driver only no gear

No Burnouts
I twist the throttle and come up to speed limit fast
Summer temps are usually in the 90s here
2500 miles of the 2 up Alberta Canada last year (cooler)
Minimal interstate mileage, almost all my runs are old US Hwy system.

Tires installed by Harley Dealer after Dunlops provided only 4500 miles of service.

While the mileage wear was better. This is not a tire I will be using again.

Several problems exist in the tire that make it a pain in the asss to handle.

The pictures show the wore out tires.

The biggest problem I had with these tires is the way they wear. I religiously check my tires pressures once per week on Fridays. They never needed to be adjusted.

However at 5200 miles I started noticing a real problem in corners. Mainly a lot of radius change in turns, high speed and tight radius turning a real noticeable jump in diameter radius with almost no lean adjustment.

Taking a look at the rear tire I noticed in was not just squaring off, but hexing off. That is to say it created a half hexagon making low speed maneuvering a bitch and high speed maneuvering unpredictable.

The pictures clearly shows the three flat plains making up the half hex problem.

At about 6100 miles the front end starts to jump radius with no adjustment on lean angle or contact patch rotation. Inspection of the front tire show it has started to half hex as well. Only it has a triangle shape to the top part of the hex (the square off is not level on the contact patch for straight direction driving) This combines to create a slow speed control problem that is very interesting.

The two hex offs combine to create a real turning challenge. Were the contact patch between the front and the rear tires in a turn can change. Which leads to a condition where the back tire tracking outside the front tire suddenly increases and the bike tends to close the radius of the turn on its own. As you pull in toward you with the bars to open up the radius the contact patch jumps back across the hex hump and the radius ups up way to far! Throwing you into a large radius condition towards the outside shoulder. Slowing down is the only correction or look like you ride the short bus to work through the corner!!!

The picture shows the radius deformation of the front tire.

In short, for the money I guess they are ok tires. But they will not be on my bike again. To much of a control issue after the mileage gets high. The first 5K they were a very good tire, then they turned to a nightmare type tire where you have to continually be manhandling the bike for proper radius in turns.

It is also important to note these tires start off with more of a D shape to their contact patch than a true circular radius. Which makes them drive different on turns from the beginning. That part was easy to get used too, but the hexing off really sucks and keeps your hands full for the last 4500 miles of use.

Since I have had such good luck with the Avon Cobras on the V-rod and they now make them for front and back of the FLSTFB they are the next tire I am trying.

I don't expect to get 9K out of Cobras but they hold their radius through the tire life. I average 8000 on them with the Vrod so if I can get 7K from them on the FLSTFB I will be happy.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Interesting. I have some miles on mine (7k and 5k in the rear) and the radius wear is perfect!!! Seeing your pictures I can't blame you though for not wanting them again.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Asylum Inmate
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I have some miles on mine (7k and 5k in the rear) and the radius wear is perfect!!! Seeing your pictures I can't blame you though for not wanting them again.
You have them on the Sportster? Do you load heavy? I wonder if it is a weight thing.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
You have them on the Sportster? Do you load heavy? I wonder if it is a weight thing.

Yep on my Sporty. I can take pictures if you would like to see them,
All I ever ride with is me, 215-220, gear, 10lbs or so, and saddlebag crap 15lbs or so.
31 front 37 rear or so. Lots of hard acceleration and deceleration too. I got 4500 miles out of my stock rear tire. I have more than that now on the Commander and it is around 50%. Either way, I personally love the tires in almost every way. Only reason I would change is just to experiment with what's out there.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures not required. Just wanted to know the weight you were pushing on them. Thanks much. I did like them til the last 3K

·
Registered
29 Posts
450 lbs

BB your a little over gross weight for the lo and that could acount for most of the unusual wear. I have about 5,000 miles on my CMII's, and so far I'm well pleased with them. I ride about the same as you, but I ride solo(185lbs with at most 50lbs of gear on trips) I run 42psi rear & 38psi front, and averaged 7500 rear/14000 front with the Dunlops.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know I run it heavy. Plus it is often close to 100 F. Here

2100 on the Avon cobras so far. It is a different bike with these tires. Off to Tetons and Yellowstone in a couple weeks. That should put me at 3500 or so. Then I can measure tread and see how they are doing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am over 8K on my MCIIs (probably closer to 10K on the front as I did not change them out together) with about half those miles riding two up on the highway in the summer. Nearly all the two up miles have been in 80-100 degree temps. Initially I was running at the Dunlop air pressure but changed to 42 rear/41 front after about 5K miles (bike behaved better then).
I am thinking I am note quite half way there to wearing out my rear tire. No real wear noticed on the front.
Lots of hot weather riding - heck in in South Texas, it's the norm.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
My rear commander wore great ...8375 miles.
That's almost twice what I got on the stock tire and I rode harder on the Commander than the stock tire!

My front has 12k on it and over 50% tread. We will see how long it lasts.

Attachments

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
That's almost twice what I got on the stock tire and I rode harder on the Commander than the stock tire!

Don't let JP see your unmanicured fingers........You'll be out of the LYMC for sure.:eek

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts

·
Asylum Inmate
11,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

There is no doubt that the MC II go a lot of miles. Those look nice at the end, no hexing visible.

Up to 3700 on the Cobras. I am still liking them a lot in cornering and wet weather. I have noticed a slight wobble on deceleration at 45 MPH. It has gone away now but was there for about 100 miles. Might have been the luggage load coming down from Cody, WY back to the house. Wont know til the September tour.

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
By now most of you have seen my posts (and tire failure issue) in the other Commander II review thread.

I can add here howevere that I most definitely did NOT experience the hexagonal wear tread on either the front or rear tires on my bike. Wear was normal flattening.

Consequently, I did not experience anything like the handling issues that bbally described. My heavy bike handled great since day one with these tires.

I ride alone (wife has nerve damage and rides with me only minimally), I have about 10 lbs. of chrome candy, my fat 265 lb. carcass, and nothing else. An overwhelming majority of my riding is highways and expressways here in and around Northern VA (outstanding road surface quality.) I don't do burnouts but I do haul (get up to 80 fast and stay there if I can.)

Thanks for this thread bbally. Great information and pictures!

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
OK, check that - I definitely DID experience a similar wear pattern. Sorry for the original misinformation.

Check this pic (10,400 miles approximately before that strip just let go) and if you can't clearly see the same hexagonal wear pattern, trust me it's there. I also verified it just now by checking in person.

Interestingly, I did no have similar handling issues to what bbally described. Must be a factor of bike size, frame and suspension geometry.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts