Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first bike and its 400 miles from rolling over to 24000 miles. since im new to bikes and theres no manuals with the bike, i have no idea what oil or filter to use and what all needs to be done at 24k. ive also read a few threads about primary fluid? what is that? can someone give me some help until i make my way to the dealership and purchase the manuals? thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
On a sporty you only have two holes to fill/change. Motor oil is approx 4 qts and the primary takes 1 qt. 1st off, spend $65 or so on the factory service manual for your particular bike, it will walk you thru all the maintanence procedures as well as give you the correct quantities for fluid changes.
Make it easy on yourself and get the oil filter from the dealership, nothing wrong with them. Oil preference is a whole different topic, just make sure whatever you put in is designed for an air cooled motor. Get to know your bike by doing the work yourself and knowing it was done right!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! the oil has to be 20w50 motorcycle oil correct? ill prolly go with synthetic. since the oil subject is so touchy and everyone has their own opinion of what to use, is there any oil that i should stay away from? does the primary need to be changed now?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah 20w-50 is the ticket. When I had my sporty I ran the Mobil V Twin 20w-50 and was very happy with it. The first 10k I ran the HD Formula+ in the primary and was satisfied with it( running it in my RK now) and then switched over to Belray Heavy Duty primary chaincase oil. Happy with that also. The service manual will suggest what oil to use in different climates. One other piece of advice to you, when you have your primary cover off( to refill fluid) take one of the bolts down to Ace Hdwr and get some Allen head bolts to replace those torx pieces of garbage, you can thank me later:rofl: There is also a gasket/quad ring inside of the cover that likes to become dislodged when you remove the cover, most of the time it doesn't want to stay in place while you put the cover back on Put a couple small dabs of gasket sealer on the quad ring and that should hold it in place.
The service schedules are every 5k or 10k, so You may as well do it all at the same time and get everything on the same page

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh ok. so to drain the primary oil you have to take off the cover on the side of case kinda like on a differential on a truck? doesnt sound too hard. ill prolly just change the oil now since its pretty dark and wait till i get a service manual to do the rest

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually you don't pull the primary cover, you need to remove the primary ''inspection" cover( circular with 5 bolts) to refill the fluid, sorry I didn't mean to confuse you. The drain plug is located on the bottom of the primary cover below the inspection cover, just feel down there and you should be able to locate it.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Better get the service manual first! Several little tricks you need to know, so as not to get into trouble. Go to your local dealer and order the factory manual, not an aftermarket one!

You will need to check adjustment on the primary chain, and the clutch, and the final belt. As well as changing the engine oil and primary oil. At the least you need 4 qts. of 20w50. Three for the engine, and 1 for the primary. The primary is also the clutch and transmission and uses motorcycle, wet clutch compatible oil. The engine needs 20w50 or 10w40 motorcycle oil, or synthetic oil.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys. a little off topic, but are shock bolts hard to replace on the rear shocks? as in do the shocks extend out when you take the bolt out and is it hard to push it back in to location? i noticed the other day that the previous owner replaced one of the lower shock bolts with a grade 8 bolt and nut instead of an actually harley nut/bolt so i bought a replacement yesterday

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
You have to jack the bike off the wheels. Then you can replace the bolts. Why replace, grade 8 is fine for the shock application. Wait till you need to have it up on a life for something.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it just looks like shit bc its like a goldish color and it doesnt match the rest of the bike. that kinda sucks bc i dont have a bike jack

·
Registered
37,183 Posts
As you remove the current bolt, put another bolt in to keep the shock in alignment. then as you remove the temp bolt, insert the new one.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Put just a little less than the 3 qts of oil in it. You might git a little weeping of oil ,out the air filter if you put it all in there. About 2.8 maybe.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks guys. just found a local shop that i can get AMSoil for the same price as mobil 1 vtwin so im goin with that. what is the amsoil i need to use for the primary?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
The same as the engine. 1 qt. in primary 2.8-3 qt. in engine. Don't overfill the primary. It causes ther clutch to drag!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts