Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone do a primary,transmission fluid change along with the engine oil change before storing their bikes for extended periods? All my fluids were done in feb.for this past riding season. I put the HD.syn3 in the engine and primary and redline heavy shockproof in the tranny. I got about 1200 miles on all of these fluids...thx's

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
105 Posts
1200 miles isnt much i would leave it but id my fluid changes every october before putting it away as well as changing them in the summer but i average 25,000kms per year

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only wish i could put on that many miles,but life gets in the way,but i will be putting on more miles next year. I've had a too rich running engine this season and just recently adjusted that. I will change the oil to mobil1 v-twin 20-50 before puttin her up for awhile. Not convinced hd syn3 is any better and it cost's too much.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I only wish i could put on that many miles,but life gets in the way,but i will be putting on more miles next year. I've had a too rich running engine this season and just recently adjusted that. I will change the oil to mobil1 v-twin 20-50 before puttin her up for awhile. Not convinced hd syn3 is any better and it cost's too much.

Normally I would say with only 1200 since fluid change you can leave it go another year, but with a rich running engine your oil will be contaminated and needs to be changed. Primary and trans should still be fine though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
even running rich with 1200 miles wont affect it that much...now if you started bike 1200 times and only drove 1 km then that oil would be greatly affected with contaminents, you could always just dump the oil and keep the filter in place but would only be changing 2 quarts of oil. harleys syn 3 is a 60/40 synthetic blend not 100% synthetic

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Harley has done a terrific job of marketing their products. I mean Really!..$14.00 a quart for a syn-3 blend. Well it's a nice pretty bottle anyway. I will be going to Mobil 1 v-twin 20/50 next change.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I just bought 12 bottles of Mobil 1 V-twin 20-50 in Minnesota at Walmart for $9.97 each. It's liquid gold up here. Can't get it. When we could, it was 16.97. I change oil & filter before I store it, or haul it south for the winter. Change primary & trans every 10,000 miles.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I just bought 12 bottles of Mobil 1 V-twin 20-50 in Minnesota at Walmart for $9.97 each. It's liquid gold up here. Can't get it. When we could, it was 16.97. I change oil & filter before I store it, or haul it south for the winter. Change primary & trans every 10,000 miles.
Does that make you an "oil bootlegger" now ????? :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I change the oil when it is due. I don`t worry about what the season is. Yeah, sure, theoretically there are acids and contaminants in the oil, and they say to change before storage, but real world...It is insignificant.

The most important thing to remember is to fill the fuel tanks up.

·
Go Army!
632 Posts
I change the oil when required, but leave the tranny fluid alone for the full 20,000 miles (I used Redline) and change out the primary at 10k (SYN3) since they don't get contaminated like the oil does. I've never had any issues doing it this way, but if you need peace of mind then I'd change them all.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Primary and transmission fluids on three-hole Harley Davidson bikes do are not exposed to the same harsh environments as engine oil - acids, moisture, byproducts of combustion, etc.

Changing the engine oil before putting the bike away for winter is not a bad idea. I would not worry about the primary and transmission fluids.

Pete

Does anyone do a primary,transmission fluid change along with the engine oil change before storing their bikes for extended periods? All my fluids were done in feb.for this past riding season. I put the HD.syn3 in the engine and primary and redline heavy shockproof in the tranny. I got about 1200 miles on all of these fluids...thx's

1 - 14 of 14 Posts