Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an email notification on this thread but am just getting around to it. I had a 1978 Anniversary FLH. I bought it from a good friend who bought it from his friend and the original owner. Mine was gray and is now owned by another friend. We like to keep our bikes "in the family". I did see some black/orange ones advertised in Oklahoma while I had mine about 6 years ago. Like the one you will be getting, it too had the decal on the front fender. I can't say if all of the FLs that year were Anniversary models because so many have been painted over. This was mine.

Wheel Tire Plant Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

I also had the batwing fairing for it along with the King of the Road tour pack. The friend from whom I bought it purchased a 1978 FXE at the same time that his bud bought this one. I later spoke to a former salesman at Seattle Harley Davidson who recalled selling them.

·
Try'n to behave
6,426 Posts
Like the bike.

We might have to talk with admin concerning their notification system, 12 years seems a little delayed to me. :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: RJ64 and gtrman66

·
Administrator
13,595 Posts
this was added to a 12 year old thread. I felt it would get better visibility by making it a new thread. Welcome and nice looking scoot.

Reactions: RJ64 and 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,814 Posts
That bike has cool written all over it. Even has the fish tails. Nice!

Reactions: Pred8er

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thank you gents. It had a stock seat on it when I bought it. I purchased an original rider/owner's manual on ebay and it showed that seat as an option in 1978. I found an in-the-box new old stock seat, bought it, found the spring mount and a pogo for it. It was extremely comfortable with the ride kind of "floating" down the road. The friend I sold it to is fairly short so he removed the seat and installed the old standard. It's back on because the friend he sold it to is about 6'3" and loves it like I did.

I can't recall why I sold it but I sold my 1988 Electra Glide about the same time. I had ridden that one all over the US, Route 66, and up into Canada. I was having very difficult knee problems at the time, finally getting one replaced, so sold my FLs. Just for conversation below is a pic of my '88 Electra Glide Standard.

Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Fuel tank

I guess one can say that I like fishtails. That's my shop in the background. Through my 35 years in the Navy I never had a shop or even a two car garage so when I retired so building a shop was my first priority. Now I have both. I also installed a Mustang seat, Mikuni carb, Crane Hi-4E ignition and 3002B touring cam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts