Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 heritage, had it for about 7 years and no problem. Went for a short ride and it was running hot, stopped and checked oil level, it was great. Went home and checked it next day and oil wasn't even on the dipstick, filled it up to level and rode it about a mile and pulled into drive, the dipstick was popped out and oil spilled out and down over pipes. It looked as if it foamed up and over end of spout.
Anybody got any suggestions

·
Registered
632 Posts
did you run it in the morning before checking and filling ? if not you over filled it most likely,and Welcome from Florida

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Welcome from VA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I checked it cold. Never had that problem before. I had a work accident and couldn't ride for a year, was going through a divorce and figured the X might have done something to it

·
Registered
632 Posts
You over filled it then , Oil over night went to crank case due to sticking check valve from oil bag, My FatBoy does that also have to run warm up then check oil

·
Registered
135 Posts
Maybe crank case not venting properly causing the oil to not settle down so false read then an overfill.

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
You over filled it then , Oil over night went to crank case due to sticking check valve from oil bag, My FatBoy does that also have to run warm up then check oil
^^^ This one.

With the oil tank being above the oil pump on Softails, oil will get past the check valve if the bike sits too long, thus letting oil drain from the oil tank and collect in the crankcase. If you add oil without letting the motor warm up, the oil that has collected in the crankcase will get pumped back into the oil tank and thus be over filled.

·
Banned
71 Posts
^^^ This one.

With the oil tank being above the oil pump on Softails, oil will get past the check valve if the bike sits too long, thus letting oil drain from the oil tank and collect in the crankcase. If you add oil without letting the motor warm up, the oil that has collected in the crankcase will get pumped back into the oil tank and thus be over filled.
+1 :thumbsup

·
Registered
366 Posts
^^^ This one.

I had to find that out on my 05 deuce had it stored for winter, when spring came around figured I should check the oil before taking for a ride nothing showed on dipstick so added to fill when cold mark, that was a big mistake, now I always run to operating temp before checking and adding.

·
Registered
803 Posts
No I checked it cold. Never had that problem before. I had a work accident and couldn't ride for a year, was going through a divorce and figured the X might have done something to it
If the oil is foaming your X gave it rabies. Only way to fix problem is trade in on new bike. :laugh And the X isn't there to say no.

·
Just Ride
3,732 Posts
Oil change is good idea. Moisture in oil will cause it to foam.

·
Retired citizen
24,275 Posts
Warm the engine up before changing the oil, that gives the oil pump a chance to evacuate oil from the crankcase.

·
Registered
147 Posts
always check oil hot - most likely your oil level is ok - problem is the piss poor design of oil cap and stick on softails - just a smooth push in fit no threads or proper seal. my gf 2012 softail had a persistent oil leak around cap she would keep an oily rag in a plastic sandwich bag and would wipe after every run - I said this is horse shi we took it to harley dealer told us it is a poor design - he recomended to get the dip stick with the temp guage has a bigger rubber seal should work better - it was only a few more dollars and it worked ok no leaks for about a year. last week we took off for beartooth rally her bike had been sitting for about a month - I checked tires and pressure let it idle up then checked oil was right on full mark. we got about 100 miles down the road stopped for break and there was oil all over side of bike on saddle bag, on rear brake and rotor took us an hour and a roll of paper towels to clean. I checked the oil level it was just below the full line no problem. - I took a roll of electrical tape from my tool bag and put about 7 turns around the rubber gasket and pressed it back into place - did not leak a drop for entire trip

1 - 18 of 18 Posts