Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 883 customer sportster. foot pegs forward position. Could this be causing my knee pain?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Welcome to the most wonderful little HD fan place around. We look forward to hearing from you and hope your knee problem resolves.

I don't mean to come off as brutal, but there is no way to answer your question with so little information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after riding an hour or so i get pain in both of my knees. no history of severe knee problems. i was riding with a buddy yesterday who has a street bob. she suggested my pain could be caused by the foot pegs on my sportster. the pegs are in a position that legs are more extended.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
To test her hypothesis, do you have a pair of boots with a notably thicker sole? Wearing them would bring your knee into a bit more flexion.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
My knees bother me when too extended due to my life-long history of arthritis. A reduced reach control set helped bring them more into flexion.
Are your hamstrings tight?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
The Nightster has forward controls. Maybe you can retrofit your Sportster with that setup.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
I believe the Sportster Custom has forward controls. What might be needed to reduce knee extension, if that is the problem, is to install reduced reach controls.

·
Registered
40,777 Posts
The best bike I had for long distance comfort had mid controls with highway pegs. Maybe you could add some mid mount pegs in addition to your forward controls. This would give you an additional place to relocate your leg position when they get tired.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The best bike I had for long distance comfort had mid controls with highway pegs. Maybe you could add some mid mount pegs in addition to your forward controls. This would give you an additional place to relocate your leg position when they get tired.
I couldn't agree more. I just got back from a 3 day/1000 mile trip on my 06 883L. Going back and forth from the highway pegs to the mid controls really helped change my "butt position" and make the ride bearable.

It was a fun trip, but I will definitely be replacing the stock seat before the next one. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
When ever I ride I put my heels up on top of my foward controls pegs and that lets me extend my legs farther out and it is nice on the highway. But it is tuff to do that in the city and my friends laugh at me when I stand up at the red lights because my sporty hurts my ass.

·
Registered
541 Posts
FYI: The Nightster doesn't have forward controls, unless you add them.

Basically, man, your knees are probably hurting for the same reason a trucker's knees hurt after a long drive. They really aren't being used yet they are in a locked position. Blood flows better through a knee that is moderately bent (45-degree-ish angle, not 90-degrees) and especially when it is in use, not straight and stationary.

First a question, do you have apes? If so, you probably have a blood flow issue where your heart is being asked to send blood up and down and it just can't keep up.

Still, even if you have normal handle bars, when you sit in the position you do when riding a Sportster with forward controls, you are stretching forward at your hip and at the same time asking your legs to stretch in the same direction along the same pivot point. This ends up being a fairly tight angle, compared to larger bikes. This causes more pressure on a specific area of the butt, probably the very bottom of your butt where the back of the leg essentially starts, vs. all over your butt, or at least in the middle, where are the padding is. It also causes pressure on your front side and, especially if you have a potbelly, you could be constricting blood vessels that ultimately lead to your leg from the heart in your stomach/kidney/pelvis area. Not to mention, you aren't using your upper legs much while riding w/forward controls, so the biggest muscles in the leg aren't asking for more oxygenated blood and the little muscles farther away from the heart in the knee aren't getting the message they need some oxygen across so well as a result. So what's perhaps happening is, your knees are the part of your leg that, on your body, are most prone to "complain" about an inadequate blood flow.

Some options:
> Try a seat with more soft padding around the edges (and/or a bigger seat)
> Try a long ride on a friend's bike w/mid controls, see what happens
> Buy a bigger bike that causes you to bend at the hip less
> Wear looser jeans
> Don't tighten your leg leathers on so tight (if applicable)
> BIG ONE: When you're at a light, role your big forward/backward in 'N' by bending your knees and using your leg muscles overall, or even do some mini-squats (if you don't mind looking like you're humping your bike)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts