Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on here much lately. Hope everyone is doing well.

I bit the bullet and ordered some Kuryakyn forward controls (my bike has mids) I've been going back and forth in my mind about. They don't come with any footpegs. At the risk of getting a different opinion for everyone that responds, what are some good pegs for a dyna? Ebay is full of Kuryakyn ISO pegs and they seem to be popular. Does anyone have any forward pegs that have the stirrups or heel rests? Are they "the bomb" in your opinion?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the Kuryakyn 3" extended controls on my Dyna Wide Glide, with the ISO pegs and heel rests. I didn't think I would like it at first (bought the bike like that), but I have ended up liking it much more than the stock setup I had on my Softail Custom (all I did was extend those). Only thing I can compare to is stock, but they look much better and are more comfortable than stock.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have the Kuryakyn 3" extended controls on my Dyna Wide Glide, with the ISO pegs and heel rests. I didn't think I would like it at first (bought the bike like that), but I have ended up liking it much more than the stock setup I had on my Softail Custom (all I did was extend those). Only thing I can compare to is stock, but they look much better and are more comfortable than stock.
Is your sweet girlfriend riding yet Eric??? With 2 bikes...can't you share the wealth with her????

I know on the Jeannie ride she thought she might be scared...or wasn't sure she could get the hang of it...but I know without a doubt she could....I mean...........

Afterall...her Aggie Boyfriend got the hang of it..so there's hope for anyone :rofl:

·
Registered
188 Posts
i've got the hd phorwards, the the kury iso pegs with heel rests. i love the heel rests. great phor the long haul.

i don't guess it matters which phorwards you get, the heel rests are a great way to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know I can always count on you for 2 cents phreak. Especially when you can use a word that starts with ph multiple times. Haha

Did you paint them black yet?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is your sweet girlfriend riding yet Eric??? With 2 bikes...can't you share the wealth with her????

I know on the Jeannie ride she thought she might be scared...or wasn't sure she could get the hang of it...but I know without a doubt she could....I mean...........

Afterall...her Aggie Boyfriend got the hang of it..so there's hope for anyone :rofl:
I would share the bikes with her Cup, but she is not interested in riding her own at all. My truck has a manual transmission, she wants to learn how to drive that first!!!! ;) (probably not good to put someone on a manual transmission bike who has never driven a manual transmission vehicle!!!) :D

I actually bought my first motorcycle when I was in my 2nd year at A&M, and somehow (knock on wood) I haven't crashed yet, that was 13 years ago and at least 75,000 miles on bikes. I wish I could say the same for all the non-Aggies out there!!!!! ;)

Later Cake..... :rofl:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright phreak - talked me into them. Just ordered a set on ebay that includes the ISO pegs with heel rests, matching passenger pegs, shifter pegs, and even a set of ISO grips. Not bad for $100 new in the box huh? Also got the Kuryakyn forwards for $100 under retail with no tax and shipping. Now that it's too cold to ride, I'll at least have something to do next week.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Alright phreak - talked me into them. Just ordered a set on ebay that includes the ISO pegs with heel rests, matching passenger pegs, shifter pegs, and even a set of ISO grips. Not bad for $100 new in the box huh? Also got the Kuryakyn forwards for $100 under retail with no tax and shipping. Now that it's too cold to ride, I'll at least have something to do next week.
That guy doesn't even know what a "f" is and he talked you into it??? I guess I shouldn't get my pheelings hurt that my inpho did not talk you into them...... :rofl:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Eric, I appreciated your input as well. Didn't mean to make you pheel left out.

Phreak, the reason I went with the Kury phorwards is because I know they are a quality product and I got them phor less than my dealer wanted for a HD set and with the Kury's, I don't have to go into the primary to do the install.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry Eric, I appreciated your input as well. Didn't mean to make you pheel left out.

Phreak, the reason I went with the Kury phorwards is because I know they are a quality product and I got them phor less than my dealer wanted for a HD set and with the Kury's, I don't have to go into the primary to do the install.
good phor you man! you'll love the heel rests, and i hear nothing put good about the grips. the phorward kit sounds like a good deal too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update: Installed the Kury Phorwards and the new pegs today. I highly recommend the Kuryakyns. The install was fairly easy but I did run into a couple of little things: Once I put the shifter on the splines, I could not get the tightening bolt back in it. I tried putting it on with the bolt loosely installed but that was a "no go" too. Not sure what was up with that but I improvised with a slightly smaller bolt and put a lock washer and nut on the other end. It sounds ugly but it's barely noticable and is good and tight. The only other issue I had was with the mid-shifter connection that gets tucked out of the way behind the primary with a plastic-coated locking clip that bolts to it. The bolt that came with the kit didn't fit the threads. Went to the hardware store and got one that did so no worries. I'm putting all this here in case someone is looking for it in the future. I called Kuryakyn before I bought the kit to make sure it would fit my 07 since the kits all still say thru 06 on them. They said it would and, for the most part, it did. But I'm wondering if the small issues I had were due to minute differences between 06 and 07.

Looks and feels great in my opinion and that's the one that matters I guess. Now, if the cold would just go away....

·
Registered
188 Posts
hmmmm were the bolts you had problems with the wrong size or the wrong thread pattern??

reason i ask is because i got a set of phork tube clamps phrom Kuryahkyn to relocate my turn signals, and the bolts included with it were the right size, but the wrong threads.

but i didn't have any problem with the bolts phor my pegs though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmmmm were the bolts you had problems with the wrong size or the wrong thread pattern??

reason i ask is because i got a set of phork tube clamps phrom Kuryahkyn to relocate my turn signals, and the bolts included with it were the right size, but the wrong threads.

but i didn't have any problem with the bolts phor my pegs though. :rolleyes:
Phreak, the bolt to attach the plastic coated clip to the mid-shift point was the wrong thread, as you said. I bought the same size bolt with a fine thread - the one that came with it was apparently a coarse thread. I can't say for sure because I didn't take the wrong bolt to the hardware store. I took the old shift linkage, found a nut that fit it, and then found a bolt that fit that nut - but it was a fine threaded bolt. As for the shifter relocation, the original tightening bolt was used. I don't know if the splines were a little bit off or what, but that bolt would not line up with the other side so I could not use it. It wasn't an issue with threads or anything like that.

I called Kury's tech support when I ran into the issue with the clip. They were very friendly and picked the phone up right away. The guy even went down to the showroom and found a 07 dyna with the kit on it and called me back. He said the kit went on their bike fine out of the box and concluded that I had a slightly older kit. No suprise really considering I bought it on ebay but, it was a NIB kit from a cycle dealer in Maryland.

Anyway, I'm super happy with the fit and the way it feels and the install overall. I ended up not getting the extended kit. I'm sure it would be nicer on long hauls but I do quite a bit of around town riding as well and I think the standard kit will be more practical for me overall. The extended kit is recommended for inseams over 33" and mine is 34" so that was close enough. Plus, I've sat on other bikes in showrooms and my seat seems to position me a little farther back from everything anyway compared to most everything else I've tried.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Phreak, the bolt to attach the plastic coated clip to the mid-shift point was the wrong thread, as you said. I bought the same size bolt with a fine thread - the one that came with it was apparently a coarse thread. I can't say for sure because I didn't take the wrong bolt to the hardware store. I took the old shift linkage, found a nut that fit it, and then found a bolt that fit that nut - but it was a fine threaded bolt. As for the shifter relocation, the original tightening bolt was used. I don't know if the splines were a little bit off or what, but that bolt would not line up with the other side so I could not use it. It wasn't an issue with threads or anything like that.

I called Kury's tech support when I ran into the issue with the clip. They were very friendly and picked the phone up right away. The guy even went down to the showroom and found a 07 dyna with the kit on it and called me back. He said the kit went on their bike fine out of the box and concluded that I had a slightly older kit. No suprise really considering I bought it on ebay but, it was a NIB kit from a cycle dealer in Maryland.

Anyway, I'm super happy with the fit and the way it feels and the install overall. I ended up not getting the extended kit. I'm sure it would be nicer on long hauls but I do quite a bit of around town riding as well and I think the standard kit will be more practical for me overall. The extended kit is recommended for inseams over 33" and mine is 34" so that was close enough. Plus, I've sat on other bikes in showrooms and my seat seems to position me a little farther back from everything anyway compared to most everything else I've tried.
You'll want the extended's later...... ;)

(I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam and like the position much better with the extended's personally)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Phreak, the bolt to attach the plastic coated clip to the mid-shift point was the wrong thread, as you said.
<snip>
gotta wonder if they ever even tested it on an 06 :rolleyes: nothing changed to the best of my knowledge that would cause the thread differences.

happy to hear you got it sorted out and installed. i'm sure you'll be happy with them.

IF you phind yourself needing more room to stretch out on trips, what i do is rest my heels over the pegs, extending my legs all the way, and just laying back on my pack.

Oh yeah....... did you get the pegs with the heel rests?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeh, ya never know what was actually tested, etc. I don't see HD making a minute change from one year to the next such as changing a thread pattern from coarse to fine on one particular piece.

I did get the heel rests and it feels great - feet can relax a little more - almost as good as floorboards.

I may feel differently on my next long run, but with the seat position on my bike, I think the standard length will be perfect. It's still more leg room for me than when I sit on a fatboy or heritage, etc. I'm the tallest guy in my circle of friends so, having the standard length kit will still allow me to swap bikes with others now and then...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeh, ya never know what was actually tested, etc. I don't see HD making a minute change from one year to the next such as changing a thread pattern from coarse to fine on one particular piece.

I did get the heel rests and it feels great - feet can relax a little more - almost as good as floorboards.

I may feel differently on my next long run, but with the seat position on my bike, I think the standard length will be perfect. It's still more leg room for me than when I sit on a fatboy or heritage, etc. I'm the tallest guy in my circle of friends so, having the standard length kit will still allow me to swap bikes with others now and then...
That's why I like my extended length, not many can ride my bike!!!! LOL!!! ;)

(actually all of my best buds who I would let ride my bike are about my height anyway)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts