Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am already working on the ideas for the teardown of the fatty next winter.
Yeah, I know, riding season is just getting here and I am already looking forward to next winter:1drink

anyhow, I have the big chrome cyclopse headlight housing on my bike, I want to powdercoat the housing, the cowbells, fender struts, dash and a few misc other parts, do I have to strip the chrome first or will PC stick to chrome.

Also, Dave or Dean, how bad will I screw up my handling by changing the rake/trail with 3* or 5* triple trees? I kinda want to put a 21" front wheel on it, but want a little longer front end with a little more rake. Am I in trouble by even thinking this?

·
Registered
40,743 Posts
I am already working on the ideas for the teardown of the fatty next winter.
Yeah, I know, riding season is just getting here and I am already looking forward to next winter:1drink

anyhow, I have the big chrome cyclopse headlight housing on my bike, I want to powdercoat the housing, the cowbells, fender struts, dash and a few misc other parts, do I have to strip the chrome first or will PC stick to chrome.

Also, Dave or Dean, how bad will I screw up my handling by changing the rake/trail with 3* or 5* triple trees? I kinda want to put a 21" front wheel on it, but want a little longer front end with a little more rake. Am I in trouble by even thinking this?
Chrome should be stripped before powdercoating.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
You can sand the chrome,etch prime,primer fill it,sand it and paint it .I personaly dont like powder coating I strip it off everything i own and Paint it.
Some people will argue that the bike wont handle as good but I beg to differ I think itll handle great go for it you wont be dissapointed.Besides your only going minimal mine is a 38 degree rake with 12" over tubes....lol

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Stay under 40*. You'll be fine.

Chrome can be sandblasted and primer filled like Dean said, before Powedercoating.

Stripping it off is ideal. ($$$)

Do some research on raked trees. The 3*-5* is the norm. Check out these guys near me. Kinda pricey though.........($$$ again!!)

http://www.undergroundbiker.com/TRIPLETREES.html

They have a pretty neat raked tree system....

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, thanks for the link Dave.
Now give me y'alls oppinion, if my cyclopse housing was black, with black cow bells, polished lower legs and a chrome polished trim ring on the light that frenches the light back about 3/4 inch. how do you think it will look? I think it will be hot

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
With black rims with silver colred spokes. If you're doing the cowbells black, shouldn't the lower legs be black too?

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With black rims with silver colred spokes. If you're doing the cowbells black, shouldn't the lower legs be black too?
thought about that too, but I saw a rk done close to the way I want to do mine, and I am talking hot as hell!

might not be able to do everything this year, with having to pay for the big D coming up, but a guy can dream.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I just had my housing, instrument housing & bars powdercoated--look AWESOME!!

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
heh-hem!!! and the pics?:stickpoke

we gotta have pics:thumb
Here's a few...you can see bars, housing, instrument housing & dash I had painted (no aftermarket dash's & HD puts out a $60 piece of plastic thats chrome plated:bat, so I had to have it painted)
the powder coating looks nice. I wanted a darker look on this bike w/ limited chrome, I should of had the tree's done while I was @ it...will wait till next winter
sorry 2nd pic sucks..dark

Attachments

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
The dash looks great black, on a black bike, with the white face.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Registered
40,743 Posts
I've had a few things powdercoated:
Fork sliders, Triple trees, headlight bucket, risers, handlebar clamp/tach mount, tach bucket, turn signals, front hub and wheel, shortented belt guard (not shown) using a combination of gloss black and matte black.

Better shot of the tach mount showing the matte black that was used on the mount and belt guard.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts