Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would make a 2019 Street Bob left front fork leak after 14 months since a purchased it new? Most of what I read is that the seals last about 10 years. Don’t know if that’s true, but 14 months seems short as well.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,132 Posts
Idk maybe dirt/ debris got past the covers... but it’s a 2019, maybe the warranty will cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that’s what I’m hearing is that dirt can cause it. Yeah dealer said warranty items. The other thing I saw was the seal has numbers and that the number side of seal needs to face up, as if it’s not it could cause a leak as well. We will see once they get it, heck it could be something else. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
A tiny stone chip in the fork leg can cause the seal to leak.

·
Retired citizen
23,397 Posts
Thanks, that’s what I’m hearing is that dirt can cause it. Yeah dealer said warranty items. The other thing I saw was the seal has numbers and that the number side of seal needs to face up, as if it’s not it could cause a leak as well. We will see once they get it, heck it could be something else. Thanks again.
Neck bearing grease melting down into the bottom triple clamp from engine heat then runs down the left fork leg, lean down side.
If the dealer doesn't clean that grease out of the bottom clamp it'll be leaking down the left fork leg again !

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
91 FXLR
55 Posts
It's under Warranty then it goes back to the Dealer. It's a pretty straight forward job for a Harley mechanic.

I know others who have had this issue.

Now this is me and how I think! If it happens again I personally would never think the Mechanic screwed up! I would be thinking the Seals used were defective. I would have no problem telling the Dealer this. I would say you need to use better seals and I would recommend this time you Order Seals from James Gaskets! They are the best.

I say that, friends took off to Sturgis. Riding through Atalnta around 80MPH. Some of the bridges are not level with the Road and this one was in a curve. My friends Wife hit it at the point traffic over time had compressed the pavement down. One fork Seal Blew, she almost lost the bike at that speed. The Dealer there fixed it. On the way back home she hit a little hole in the road and lost the other Fork Seal. When she got home the first one that was replaced was leaking and the other new one was starting. She's Lucky and a very good rider. She gave the Dealer the seals she wanted installed, they were James Gaskets. It wasn't a issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, I was shocked as not many miles (5800). Hope to get it back next week. Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts