Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to swap out my fork springs for a set of progressive springs only. All ready have the springs so I'm not interested in other products. Question is, can I just drop the tubes out, pull the springs, dump the oil, add fresh oil, install the new springs with the correct length spacer and reinstall on the bike? Or do I need to disassemble the fork? I do have service manual and have read through it some. Any help is appreciated.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
If your adding a spacer, you may have to take the damper tube out which requires partial disassembly. At least the spacers that i put in mine did. But if your doing just the springs, should be able to just drain the old oil remove springs and reverse. The spacers I had to install with my 23" wheel went on the end of the damper tube, but I don't know if they all go in the same place.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Stock FLHX wheel, forks, whole works. The spacer on mine will go on top of the spring. Just not wanting to pull the guts if there's no need.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
If spacer goes on top of springs, you should be good to go. No need to disassemble just follow steps to replace oil.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Question is, can I just drop the tubes out, pull the springs, dump the oil, add fresh oil, install the new springs with the correct length spacer and reinstall on the bike?

If I'm understanding you correctly, the answer is yes. Diezel and I just did his. It was very, very easy. He may have more detail to add if you ask him.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
I did the monotube from progressive. It eliminates all the spacers and multiple springs.

We dropped the tubes, drained the oil , removed the springs and spacers, slid the monotubes in and added oil. It was incredibly easy.

The hardest part is the the cup at the bottom of one of the tubes spun, and it took a while to get it back the way it needed to be.

Chief and I also used a Progressive Suspension YouTube video as a reference and guide. Maybe check and see if there is one for the spring kit.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Been searching for a video on a spring swap for a FLH. None yet. I guess once the season is over I got time. Just won't be able to test ride til spring. Not looking to get nuts just lose some dive. Progressive gives a spacer spec, but, their instructions seem a little vague. Will contact them just before I reinstall. Like I said, I have time and doesn't matter how long it takes.

·
Registered
39,570 Posts
If you are not lowering the front via the Progressive springs, then there is no need to disassemble the forks.

Just drain fork oil,
Take the top cap off,
Remove old spring,
Install Progressive spring,
Add new fork oil.
Install top cap.

If you had a bike that the handlebars weren't in line with the forks, there would be no need to even remove the forks off the bike.

Although, thinking about it, it may be easier to remove the handlebars or rotate them out of the way than it would be to remove the forks. You'd have to take a look at your bike to see if that is doable cause of your fairing.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are not lowering the front via the Progressive springs, then there is no need to disassemble the forks.

Just drain fork oil,
Take the top cap off,
Remove old spring,
Install Progressive spring,
Add new fork oil.
Install top cap.
Thanks Kainam and again to the other fellas. Thought as much, but, a little extra shove in the right direction helps.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
I did the same on.mine 13 flhtk. Simple as you say, drop forks, dumo oil and reinstall. I did mine without even taking inner fairing off. I just took the dash cap off and drop forks from there

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Perfect big guy. Thanks for this. I run around 210 and the wife about 150. In your opinion is the 1.25" spacer dimension cool? I plan to call them tomorrow anyway. I have 944s on the back now. Hate the nose dive on the front.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Dude im around 450 and its fine. It still has a small bit.of dive but I dont mind it now. The stockers almost bottomed out when I had to brake hard. I just cut the spacer what instructions said and i am very happy.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Got the fork springs swapped out tonight after work. I drained about 8 oz. of oil from each fork. I did not completely disassemble them. Pulled the forks, removed the plug, dumped oil, added new oil, spring, washer, spacer, washer and put the plug back in. Only put in about 5.5 oz. of oil. This was the new level according to Progressive because of the new springs having thicker wire and displacing more oil. The new oil was HD type "E". Will test ride tomorrow after the amp and speaker install. Gonna be chilly. Only 28 for a high and low teens tonight. Had to rent a 1.375" wrench from the hardware store for $7. Didn't have one. Also ran a new antenna cable from front to back and a hidden antenna in the fairing tonight. J&S lift was a huge help.

Just getting started.

Took the fairing off to replace the antenna cable and to install the sound system upgrade.

Took a pic of the WSS in case I forgot.

I failed here. I got too involved and forgot to take pics of the fork spring swap so you just get a pic of the OEM springs.

I dumped about 8 oz. out of each fork then added the new stuff.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Factory speakers out.

New speakers in.

The new amp in place. Not plumbed yet.

New amp bracket bolt locations use the factory radio mount. I suggest you install the amp before the speakers to have better access to the rear bolt.

All plumbed but don't leave these connectors up top. The fairing won't fit back on.

We got tunes.

Road test complete.

Time to clean up the garage, detail the bike and wrap her up for the year.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I noticed immediately the nose dive is gone with the Progressive springs. It was 24* outside so the 10 mile test drive wasn't overly revealing.
The J&M amp and speakers do have more punch and bass. Again, gotta wait til spring to play with it more on the road with wind and road noise.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts