Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a set of forks that were powdercoated black for my FLHX. I installed them no problem. I added 10.5 oz fork oil in each tube. I have been having problems with the oil leaking out the top of the tubes. I changed both o-rings at the top on each tube, and still get leaking. I have a 2006 Street Glide. I have been told that despite the fact that the sliders are the same, in 2009 the tubes were changed on the touring models. I am guessing it has something to do with the top of the tube, either the plug or the cap. I have noticed that the cap on my tubes are 1.5" and these are smaller.

So...can anyone tell me what is they changed in the tubes from 2006 - 2009???

If I can just change the plug or the cap, I would be happy. If I have to change the sliders over, I will be not so happy..haha

·
Registered
38,976 Posts

Part #5 same since 1980
Part #6 same since 1948
Part #9 same since 1977
Part #11 same since 1977

Lower sliders same since 2000

The staunchion tube that these parts screw into was changed in 2009, but it looks like only the damper assembly inside the forks was changed. Everything else that bolts onto and into the forks was not changed.

Sounds like you need new oil seals 45733-48 (#6 OIL SEAL) and 45845-77 (#11 O-RING) depending on where you see it leaking.

#6 is easier, #11 slightly more effort involved.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just changed all four 0-rings (6&11)...now i am even more confused....why does the harley shop say they are different...argh

·
Registered
38,976 Posts
Dunno, I just looked up those same parts, just incase the year was wrong for your new forks, for a 2012 FLHX and they are still the same part numbers for the parts you are concerned about.

Does part #5 from your old forks fit in the new forks? I'd start there, and if it doesn't fit, swap over both #5 and #9.

Who knows where the ones that are on the new forks now came from?

·
Registered
38,976 Posts
Does your new fork caps look like this:

Or this:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
like the bottom ones. i think tomorrow i will go to harley shop and talk to them and have them pull out the different parts (HAHAHA).

and maybe i am doing something wrong in adding the oil. i just read that i have to add a little, then bounce the shocks, and repeat until done. if air is trapped at the bottom, will it act over filled and ooze out?

·
Registered
38,976 Posts
Strange, I'm not sure what kind of fork assembly you have then....

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Make sure you are not overfilling the forks. Check the service manual for the correct amount. Drain and start from empty. If overfilled, they'll never stop leaking.( until dry)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure you are not overfilling the forks. Check the service manual for the correct amount. Drain and start from empty. If overfilled, they'll never stop leaking.( until dry)
manual calls for 10.7oz, i put 10.5oz

·
Registered
38,976 Posts
I'd like to see a photo of the differences of the caps if you get this straightened out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts