Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a chopped fender LED for my 2015 Forty-Eight, but instead of buying Harley's I found one on Amazon for $26. Well after the 50 day wait from it coming from China I finally got it yesterday and installed it.

Got it working great and it looked awesome. Well drove to work today and when I was leaving I checked it and it was still working, but when I made it back to my house (23 miles later) it was not working. Found out the tire had smashed into it, and destroyed it.

Couple of things. First I am glad I didn't shell out for Harley's $99 version, but maybe Harley's is made better and has the right shape for clearance. It does say it is compatible with my bike. Now I do usually hit a couple nasty spot on the freeway ride home from work. Maybe my suspension is bottoming out and I need to look at that.

I am 5'10" and 255lbs. I have my rear shocks set to level 4. The manual said that to have it at that or 5. Anybody that has any tips suggestions. I would like to get the Harley LED if it will have better clearance. I moved my shock to position 5 so they are at the max now but I think the same thing would happen if I tried the same light.

In the pictures you can see the new curve I created from the tire rubbing.

Attachments

·
Just Ride
3,256 Posts
That poor little sportster. Bump the shocks up, get another set aftermarket or lose weight.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wow,
I've had mind on there for well over a year with no issues. I'm 180 and have the spring preload at the softest setting. I need to keep an eye on it should I start riding double.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Can't expect much quality coming from China. I make sure all my aftermarket parts are American made. I'd rather pay a little extra and be happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Can't expect much quality coming from China. I make sure all my aftermarket parts are American made. I'd rather pay a little extra and be happy with the purchase.
Great point. Buy Cheap twice or pay more once.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
If you are buying Harley(tm) accessories, you can pretty much be assured that they are made in China, Vietnam, or someplace outside of America.

Pete

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
The suspension on a 48 leaves a lot to be desired - if you actually want a motorcycle with a suspension that functions. I see a lot of bikes that have been lowered encounter damage to the electrical system, especially on the back end, from the tire slamming into the fender.

I don't think this had anything to do with buying from ebay, instead of Harley. Harley does not manufacture any of these components - they buy them from China or where ever they can get them the cheapest - North Korea included. If that does not make your skin crawl, I don't know what does.

If you want to resolve this issue you might want to consider a longer rear shock absorber, possibly with heavier duty springs.

Pete

I wanted a chopped fender LED for my 2015 Forty-Eight, but instead of buying Harley's I found one on Amazon for $26. Well after the 50 day wait from it coming from China I finally got it yesterday and installed it.

Got it working great and it looked awesome. Well drove to work today and when I was leaving I checked it and it was still working, but when I made it back to my house (23 miles later) it was not working. Found out the tire had smashed into it, and destroyed it.

Couple of things. First I am glad I didn't shell out for Harley's $99 version, but maybe Harley's is made better and has the right shape for clearance. It does say it is compatible with my bike. Now I do usually hit a couple nasty spot on the freeway ride home from work. Maybe my suspension is bottoming out and I need to look at that.

I am 5'10" and 255lbs. I have my rear shocks set to level 4. The manual said that to have it at that or 5. Anybody that has any tips suggestions. I would like to get the Harley LED if it will have better clearance. I moved my shock to position 5 so they are at the max now but I think the same thing would happen if I tried the same light.

In the pictures you can see the new curve I created from the tire rubbing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts