Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a brand new HD. The 2 bikes I've got down to are the Forty Eight or the Street Bob.

What would you pick and why?

Thanks BigTat

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,678 Posts
From just the looks of them..since I have not really check them out or rode one, I personally like the Street Bob.

Guy that lives few blocks away has one with some nice pipes..sounds great and bike looks Cool. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2013 Streetbob, its a great bike, I have never had a 48, but had a 1200 custom sporty before, and it was fun, but I personally like my Streetbob better.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I would get the Street Bob. You'll be more comfortable and it has a bigger gas tank. The 2.1 gallon tank on the 48 will have you pulling over every 65 miles. I had a 2012 48 but I also had my 2008 Street Glide at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's my considered opinion that the Street Bob is the coolest-looking motorcycle Harley-Davidson makes.

Of course, ya gotta remember that I'm sort of biased in that regard, as I'm pretty fanatical about my 2012. I wouldn't want anything else.

If you decide on the Street Bob, you will hopefully end up feeling the same way.

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
I would also include the Softail Slim into the mix...

I probably sat 6-7 times on one at the dealer... thought for a moment to trade my 48 for one... felt great and looked amazing in mysterious red sunglo...

But if you are ONLY looking at those two... go Street Bob... looks like the Sportster, but with larger tank, more comfortable ride, better weight distribution, etc.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I would also include the Softail Slim into the mix...

I probably sat 6-7 times on one at the dealer... thought for a moment to trade my 48 for one... felt great and looked amazing in mysterious red sunglo...

But if you are ONLY looking at those two... go Street Bob... looks like the Sportster, but with larger tank, more comfortable ride, better weight distribution, etc.
I saw a new one of these at Sturgis. They're really cool. I particularly like the denim black version.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Loved my fatbob. But only as a 2nd around town bike. But stepped up to a road glide

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
Let's see...

48 - Will require more changes to make it fit... it just does. Very few folks can stand the stock seat. Front suspension changes are a must... you can do away in the back if you go with a springer seat... and you can also go the inexpensive way and install rear shocks from a Road Glide Custom.

It is a great bike, lots of fun. And an awesome canvas to make it into anything you would like.

Riding range is limited by the beautiful looking gas tank...

A photo of mine with a few changes...it is truly a canvas for you to make your own...

Street Bob - in my eyes, this is the one that looks more like a Sportsters than any of the bigger HD bikes... so if you are looking for that style, you get better range, better balanced bike, great comfort with the stock bars... you could possibly get away without making any changes. But we all know that we can't leave them stock...:). This one has slim front wheel and foot pegs. More black parts in the engine, which I think looks better...

Softail Slim - cleaner look in my opinion since you do not have the side rear shocks visible. And you still get that old school look. Same as the Street Bob, better riding range, more comfortable to ride (more so than the Street Bob). This one has a fat front wheel and floorboards. Engine/tranny not completely blacked out like in the Street Bob...

If I was in your shoes... I would be looking at that Street Bob or Softail Slim...

If this is your first bike, be sure to take the motorcycle safety course first... money well spent

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
If I got to pick it for you....Street Bob, but I dont ...so get what you want...... Wow I'm a poet and don't know it!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Let's see...

48 - Will require more changes to make it fit... it just does. Very few folks can stand the stock seat. Front suspension changes are a must... you can do away in the back if you go with a springer seat... and you can also go the inexpensive way and install rear shocks from a Road Glide Custom.

It is a great bike, lots of fun. And an awesome canvas to make it into anything you would like.

Riding range is limited by the beautiful looking gas tank...

A photo of mine with a few changes...it is truly a canvas for you to make your own...

Street Bob - in my eyes, this is the one that looks more like a Sportsters than any of the bigger HD bikes... so if you are looking for that style, you get better range, better balanced bike, great comfort with the stock bars... you could possibly get away without making any changes. But we all know that we can't leave them stock...:). This one has slim front wheel and foot pegs. More black parts in the engine, which I think looks better...

Softail Slim - cleaner look in my opinion since you do not have the side rear shocks visible. And you still get that old school look. Same as the Street Bob, better riding range, more comfortable to ride (more so than the Street Bob). This one has a fat front wheel and floorboards. Engine/tranny not completely blacked out like in the Street Bob...

If I was in your shoes... I would be looking at that Street Bob or Softail Slim...

If this is your first bike, be sure to take the motorcycle safety course first... money well spent
That's a cool looking 48:thumbsup

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,332 Posts
I would get the Street Bob. You'll be more comfortable and it has a bigger gas tank. The 2.1 gallon tank on the 48 will have you pulling over every 65 miles. I had a 2012 48 but I also had my 2008 Street Glide at the same time.

I like the looks of this bike. :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 27 Posts