Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience to share with installing forward controls on a dyna, who makes a good set at a good price? How big an effort is it? I'm a new owner and a new poster. Just wondering how much money I'm looking at and whether or not I'd be better off getting a dealer or mechanic to do the install for me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No experience with the Dyna but I installed them on a Sportster severazl years ago. As I recall, the job was not complicated and only required ordinary hand tools. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I, too, have no experience with a Dyna. However, I have been looking into the installation of forward-mounts on an FXD.

It appears that the job can be made much easier if you leave the shaft for the shift lever in place. Otherwise, the primary must come off. If left in place, the splined end of the shaft will be visible. Evidently, a chromed (is there any other type?) cover is available for those offended by exposed splines.:D

Bob

·
08 FXDC Dyna "105"
3 Posts
I just posted a new thread on my 08 FXDC forward control saga. Bottom line "Order the 05 kit" that has the cap and bracket for the old "unused shifter" the directions work great. I have no idea why HD changed the kit. I looked at several older Dyna's with the original kit, I measured everything to see what changed. Best I could figure is that nothing has changed. My best guess is that someone may have failed to secure the old shifter correctly. So Harley tried to idiot proof it. Only problem is I think your asking for big trouble pulling the primary case unless you need to.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
I had mine done at the dealer the day I bought my bike. I just figured what the hell, just do it so I don't have to. Kinda wish now I would have done it and spent the extra money on another aftermarket part. But even the service manager said the hard part was getting to the lever behind the case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just cut the lever from the back side. not the most fun but cant be done.
use a good hack saw blade and some tape to protect the surface and go for it. not to bad to get done.
but it will allow you to pull the lever out of the primary with out taking it all off the motor.
then put the cap in place and be done

·
Registered
2 Posts
Forward control installation question

After you cut the lever at the back of the case and cap the front with the chrome cap...how do you cap the back of the case?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed the foward control kit from HD. I thnk it cost around $340. It was a straight forward job. It took about 3 hours with pulling the primary covers. The jobwould have been easer if I would have had a lift at the time. If you don't want to do it call around to all of the dealerships they ranged from 2.5hr to 4.5 hrs of labor.
Norris

·
Registered
2 Posts
just cut the lever from the back side. not the most fun but cant be done.
use a good hack saw blade and some tape to protect the surface and go for it. not to bad to get done.
but it will allow you to pull the lever out of the primary with out taking it all off the motor.
then put the cap in place and be done
Just did the instal on my 09 FXDB. Second time I installed forward on a newer Dyna. Took about 2 hours. cutting the lever off from the back side is a lot easier than taking off the primary covers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts