Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my last ride, I found two drops of oil on the left side of the bike below the primary cover. I tightened up all the bolts around the engine case and primary cover. Today, when I returned from a ride, I went to the garage and found one drop under the primary. Any thoughts? Maybe a gasket issue someplace?

·
Retired citizen
23,369 Posts
Maybe the inner primary seal is starting to leak. The oil runs down behind the inner primary and flows to the lowest point when the bike is on the kickstand. The drip then appears to be dropping from the screw below the derby cover.

·
Super Moderator
4,353 Posts
Clean up the area really well, you should be able to trace it to the problem. Best case scenario it is the primary drain plug leaking. Can you see if it is seeping / pooling where the primary cover meets the primary? The primary gasket seal isn't too bad to replace either. If it is the inner primary seal you are getting a bit more complicated so I would try to rule out the easier ones.

edit: ^ that guy knows more than me and types faster apparently :)

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll do a little detective work and see if I can determine from where it is originating and go from there. I suspect it is from the primary because it is not the color of engine oil, and the tranny fluid is a different color.

·
Registered
11,984 Posts
Try looking at out put shaft of the primary. Had leak there and the oil ran down dripped off around the primary drain plug. Your description sounds like the same amount that was coming out of mine.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try looking at out put shaft of the primary. Had leak there and the oil ran down dripped off around the primary drain plug. Your description sounds like the same amount that was coming out of mine.
Softail,
Was it an expensive fix?

·
Registered
11,984 Posts
Softail,
Was it an expensive fix?
Long story short about $85. On the newer model Softails you have move the oil tank/battery to get at extra bolt from right side remove inner primary. Dealer I hand it at showed me problem after they had removed whole primary drive. Damn bolt caught them by surprise too. Owner showed me the problem and wanted to know if I wanted to spend extra money to get it done. Leak was minor so we agreed if it gets worse and I can save up my bucks to get it done later. Some 2K miles later it stopped leaking, been dry over 10K miles. :dunno

·
Retired citizen
23,369 Posts
The two starter mounting bolts need to be removed to get the inner primary off. A bit more difficult on the Softails but the oil tank and battery don't need to be moved or removed to do it.
A long extension with wobble end Allen driver on a 3/8ths ratchet wrench is how I do it.

·
Registered
11,984 Posts
The two starter mounting bolts need to be removed to get the inner primary off. A bit more difficult on the Softails but the oil tank and battery don't need to be moved or removed to do it.
A long extension with wobble end Allen driver on a 3/8ths ratchet wrench is how I do it.
Schmidty, so there is a work around on the Softails, thanks for the info.:thumbsup

·
Registered
88 Posts
This may or may not work for you but I once had an oil leak on a Kawasaki that I could not find. I took some spray Desenex foot powder and sprayed in the area that I thought the leak was coming from. As soon as the oil hits the dried foot powder it turns a brownish color, and you find out what is leaking. The residue from the foot powder can be washed off with a hose. Mine was leaking from a bad casting on the valve cover, running down the block, and blowing back, which I would have never thought of. Spray it on, ride it a while and then look for the leak, it will show up. The Desenex isn't cheap but neither is my time.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Primary drain plug tight with a healthy O ring?

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Mine had super glide had an inner shifter shaft seal leak (think that's what it was called). It would drip right at the primary drain plug. Wasn't too bad of a fix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts