Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to have the gatherings of the bikers. Load 4 Touring bike into a cargo trailer. What is your best recommend on what size of cargo trailer. I plan to purchase one soon. Slant V nose is good to save gas on a SUV? I consider width is 8.5 but not sure about length I need. Suggestions I will welcome.

·
Just Ride
3,571 Posts
You don't trailer Touring Bikes, you ride them.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
You don't trailer blah blah blah
No, lots of people haul touring bikes for many reasons. You`ll have to figure that one out yourself...

Typical lame answer when someone needs help with a trailer.

OP: You are going to need a big trailer to haul 4 bikes, and as for towing something that big with an SUV...I`m not seeing it as practical (or even possible) depending on the tow vehicle. The v nose isn`t going to make a big difference.

Don`t run out and buy a trailer until you do a lot more homework on pulling trailers.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I'm with Fritz.....trailers are for boats.

Reactions: FritzHD

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah, while I have only trailered once and that was due to a breakdown in Sacramento CA. 2,000 miles from home so I had no choice when the dealer there told me he couldn't help me. I am considering one for when I retire and do the "snowbird" thing. I would need room for 2 bikes for the wife's bike and mine. 4 baggers in one trailer? At over 800 pounds each that's 3,200 pounds of cargo. Gear for the bikes another 200 pounds or more. Baggers run about 8 feet long each so you are going to need a 20' trailer. I looked up a few and you are looking at a GVW of 7,500 pounds. A big SUV like a Ford Expedition may be able to tow it. What kind of SUV do you have in mind?

·
Former Lurker
3,420 Posts
I easily hauled 2 (staggered, not quite side by side) in a 7x14 dual axle w\ room for gear, but no way would it do 4.
I think you would need a pretty stout suv too. I'd rec a 3/4 ton pickup w\ diesel. JMO

·
Registered
900 Posts
An 8 1/2' X 20 enclosed trailer is your best bet, gives you a couple feet of cushion and security and weather protection. It would also allow all your gear, some tools, BBQ pit, coolers and other things to be stored.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Nice option for an enclosed trailer also is that it is a storage facility on wheels. Frees up space in the garage for more toys!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, while I have only trailered once and that was due to a breakdown in Sacramento CA. 2,000 miles from home so I had no choice when the dealer there told me he couldn't help me. I am considering one for when I retire and do the "snowbird" thing. I would need room for 2 bikes for the wife's bike and mine. 4 baggers in one trailer? At over 800 pounds each that's 3,200 pounds of cargo. Gear for the bikes another 200 pounds or more. Baggers run about 8 feet long each so you are going to need a 20' trailer. I looked up a few and you are looking at a GVW of 7,500 pounds. A big SUV like a Ford Expedition may be able to tow it. What kind of SUV do you have in mind?
I do have Ford Expedition that can pull max 11k loaded.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts