Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about changing my 03 FXSTI from foward controls to mid controls. Never tried anything like this and I would like to buy all the right parts once. How big a deal is this? Do I need to get another primary inner from a mid glide bike?

Jake

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
If mid controls were offered on that bike, (ever) you'll have the peg mount bosses welded to the frame, on the left and right sides. under the primary and under the engine on the right side, just like a Dyna has.

If so, you'll need the inner primary to mount the shift shaft through for the linkage.

If not............then........not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will look too make sure but if I remember I looked once before and noticed the bosses. Thanks for verifing the inner primary. I was not sure about that one.

Jake

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Can I ask why you want to change?

The reason I ask is due to needing so many parts. Then again, it would be to your best interest to find an Ebay sale where someone is selling their mid controls from a Dyna, and you get the shaft, peg mounts and linkage (shift and brake) all in one deal. They really don;t bring a ton of cash. Most people want forward controls.

You'll need a primary gasket/seal kit ($65) and an inner primary and a new primary chain inspection vocer, with the shift shaft bushing in it, for the linkage to pass through on the outside of the primary.

Adding in labor, if you don't do it yourself, nt it's gonne be costly.

Food for thought.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,203 Posts
Lots of guys with mid controls have forward pegs, first, why not just put the foot pegs in the mid position as and alternate resting position to see if they really are worth the trouble? At least for cruising you could have the alternate position.

I'm only 5'10" with a 30" inseam, and I found the stock mid controls on my 05 LowRider caused me great discomfort in the way of cramps, pains in my very lower back and buttocks that made me think I had a pinched nerve. Symptoms fit "sciatica", actually. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica

I converted from mids to forwards, so I have all the parts, but I'm not at all inclined to go to the trouble or expense to take the inner primary off for replacement, so I've got the stub shaft with a cover on my primary. Like Dave said, there prolly lots of sets of that hardware left over.

I remember reading someone had both sets of controls, mids and forwards. I think I could do that very easily, question is why anybody would do that, does it sound desirable? doesn't it sound pretty cluttered? Anybody seen a picture?

Kainam, you said you liked mid controls for aggressive riding and missed them on your current bike, if you could easily have both, would you tolerate the visual clutter, for the extra utility?

·
Registered
39,572 Posts
Kainam, you said you liked mid controls for aggressive riding and missed them on your current bike, if you could easily have both, would you tolerate the visual clutter, for the extra utility?
No I wouldn't.

When I had mid controls + forward pegs on my last bike, I could shift and brake without moving my feet off of the forward pegs by using my right heel to brake and the achilles tendon area of my left foot to shift.

·
Registered
39,572 Posts
I am thinking about changing my 03 FXSTI from foward controls to mid controls. Never tried anything like this and I would like to buy all the right parts once. How big a deal is this? Do I need to get another primary inner from a mid glide bike?

Jake
The only mid control setup for SoftTails I've seen is from Roland Sands Design.
877-773-6648

http://www.rolandsands.com/HTML/vTwin.html

I don't think its a production piece as I've not seen it in any catalogs.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,203 Posts
I can't say I know the differences in the softTal frame, but if you're finding the forward controls require just a bit too much reach for a secure perch, I put heel rest pegs on both of my forward controls bikes, it allows a substantially more relaxed and less stretched out foot position, still forward but it feels like about 3" less stretched out. Footboards would be even better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to do all the work myself. I come from mainly an early Triumph background and even my pan and shovel rigids were mid glide. I just got used to it and feel like I have more control. I fell in love with the Softail I currently have and the forward controls are the only thing about it right now that I am on the fence about.

Jake

Can I ask why you want to change?

The reason I ask is due to needing so many parts. Then again, it would be to your best interest to find an Ebay sale where someone is selling their mid controls from a Dyna, and you get the shaft, peg mounts and linkage (shift and brake) all in one deal. They really don;t bring a ton of cash. Most people want forward controls.

You'll need a primary gasket/seal kit ($65) and an inner primary and a new primary chain inspection vocer, with the shift shaft bushing in it, for the linkage to pass through on the outside of the primary.

Adding in labor, if you don't do it yourself, nt it's gonne be costly.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
39,572 Posts
Not sure if he will answer.... He hasn't posted in over 2 years.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used a floorboard set up from a 03 heritage and installed the brackets and everything on a forward control 07 fxst. All bolted up with very little modifications. works great!

·
Registered
39,572 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your answers, apart from the PM, and also found Primo belt drives but needs the open primary, I want to ride with the original. ray4ausa not understand that as assembled., I explain it? photos? thanks and regards to all.

·
Registered
39,572 Posts
I used a floorboard set up from a 03 heritage and installed the brackets and everything on a forward control 07 fxst. All bolted up with very little modifications. works great!
Interesting, for some reason I thought that the floorboards only fit on the FLST models.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts