Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of temeperatures do you see on your FP3 sensor data?

I've got a 103, stage 1, slipons. After riding I get about 133 degrees with ambient temps around here between 60 and 80 lately. I have no idea if this is good or bad, or even where it is being measured. I'm looking at it after a decent ride--long enough to fully warm or much longer. I check it as soon as I stop and can get the phone out.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
The FP3 is probably getting it's data from the IAT (intake air temp) sensor. The sensor is located in the throttle body bore behind the throttle plate.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
The reason I'm thinking the IAT is the temp (130*) you stated because that's in the ball park for the IAT. The head temp sensor will see temps upwards of 250*.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
This morning I rode in about 75° temps and my FP3 engine temp said 384°. I have a 2014 Suplerlow 1200T (air cooled of course)
Even when I put the FP3 app in demo mode, the FP3 engine temp never goes below 300° So I'm thinking the engine temp should be above 300° when actually connected to your bikes ECM.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
384*, wow ! The "normal" by the book operating temp for the 103ci engine is 250*. I believe it's 284* for the EFI Sportster.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
384*, wow ! The "normal" by the book operating temp for the 103ci engine is 250*. I believe it's 284* for the EFI Sportster.
I'm gunna stop by my dealer on the way home this afternoon and ask the service guy. I bought the bike new last year and mid to high 300° is what I have always seen on my FP3 engine temp. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this subject?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
That has to be head temperature, correct? Oil temps like that would cook the best synth out there.

On a big twin, the EITMS (if equipped) kicks in at 285.

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
That has to be head temperature, correct? Oil temps like that would cook the best synth out there.

On a big twin, the EITMS (if equipped) kicks in at 285.
Well ... almost.
Twin Cam normal operating temp. in 250*. EITMS is about 300* before it kicks in .

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Ok so I stopped at the dealer and asked the service manager what the normal operating engine temp should be for my bike and not to my surprise he didn't know. Actually it was to my surprise. I really thought he would know basic stuff like this. So he called Harley. I don't know exactly what that meant but he spoke to someone on the phone who told him normal operating temp for my 2014 Superlow 1200T is 375°. He said if the temp goes much above 400° while riding then that could be a problem. Also not good to let it idle above 400° for a long period of time. He said that Sportsters run hot and also EPA fuel regulations keep the bike running lean even with my remap from V&H. I guess I could get another map to increase fuel to make the bike run a little cooler., but as far as the dealer and Harley are concerned my engine temps are normal

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The reason I'm thinking the IAT is the temp (130*) you stated because that's in the ball park for the IAT. The head temp sensor will see temps upwards of 250*.
Uh, you are correct. Intake Air Temperature was the temperature displayed by default, although it gave no indication except a temp icon. I didn't know you could click on it and select about 10 different values to display--have to click right in the middle. Doh! Actual engine temp is a different icon. They recently added estimated HP, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just as a reference my 2014 FLD was running about 290-300F with the stock setup (rode with the FP3 about 500 miles before flashing any changes). Once the A/C was replaced and I flashed a new map the head temperatures run between 275-295F. If I'm doing some low speed balance skills the temps will go higher. This head temp reading is taken from the fuel injection computer which gets its data from the cylinder head temperature sensor. I actually think 300F at the head is too high and is a good reason to use a full synthetic oil which breaks down at higher temperatures. I keep my cell phone on a RAM mount so that I can display data while I ride and Cyl Head temps is always one of the displays. This has shown me that the head temps can really rise when sitting at idle for an extended period and that shutting the engine off for just a 5 minute stretch brake can bring the temps back down by quite a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts