Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for you gurus... How do I get rid of those orange reflectors on the frame tubes? Cut? Hammer? Small thermal nuclear devices? I'm looking to clean up the front end some. Anybody done this yet?

·
Registered
39,451 Posts
I took WD-40 and soaked the adhesive with that to soften it up, then took fishing line and worked it behind the reflector to separate it. Then cleaned up the remaining adhesive with more WD-40.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I used a blow dryer to soften the adhesive and yanked them off by hand and cleaned up the rest with trusty ole WD40.

PS: Dont tell Nathan about this.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. Its only adhesive. I wasn't sure if they stuck some tabs on under there or not. Guess I got a project after work. Thanks!

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Good luck. Remember, you didn't hear it from us. :cupcake

There are some who find this practice unsafe but I feel if I have good marker lighting than I should be okay. Maybe even add some "invisible" reflective tape that blends in somewhere on the bike.

Nathan can guide us along on this.

Oh if you decide to use a small nuclear device, post pics. :thumb

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,176 Posts
PS: Don't tell Nathan ....
You guys do whatever you like. I'm putting the reflectors back on my bike.

BTW, both of these bikes in this picture are running, so voltage is up,
there are 20W marker lights, headlights, turn signals, as much powered up
lighting as any bike but a dresser, way more than most.

See the front view of the bikes when this pix was taken.. showing off
my new "conspicuity" lighting..

BTW, another chance to brag and preach, this pix shows the look from the front
of 7" reflector headlights w/ 65/70w lights

I took the front fork reflectors off my LowRider while installing my conspicuity lights,
turned out not to be necessary after all, and while taking pictures in the dark,
the reason these reflectors are there is made pretty obvious to me.
I believe most states also require some reflectors in order to pass safety inspection.

Which bike's visibility parameters would you choose,
if your life depends on this view keeping a driver who
is either inattentative or impaired from killing you?

·
1,074 Posts
I just let my sister-in=laws Spawn of Satan near my bike and in 20 seconds he had ripped two of them off.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well... I drink and smoke too. Good thing I didn't slip in the bathtub. Careful is one thing. Paranoid is another.
I soaked them in WD40 last night and this morning I took them off with the fishing line. Too easy! Thanks for the help all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts