Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

As a fellow rider, I had a need for a specific type of app - one that would let me record a route that I rode with a buddy of mine so I could re-ride it later. I couldn't find anything like that so I did it myself. (He gets credit for the graphics, beats the heck out of my stick figures!)

In addition to recording the route, you can share it with other iPhone users that have the app. This also makes it possibly useful for group rides - share the route so if part of the group gets separated someone will have the route.

It's free, I'm not making any money off of this. I just thought I'd share because I'd appreciate feedback on it and I thought others might find it useful too. If it takes off I have ideas for other features, but I wanted to see if this app is useful for others before putting in more time.

You can find it in the Apple App Store as 'Junket' or you can check it out on the website I setup for it: Junket | Excursions at the expanse of others(tm). The website has screen shots of the app and other bits of info.

If you do download the app, I'd appreciate it greatly if you'd post a review in the app store. I know it's been downloaded a decent number of times, but unfortunately there hasn't been enough reviews posted for Apple to show them yet.

Thanks and ride safe!

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
First Post FAIL. A real "fellow rider" would have been on the forum and followed the forum rules before posting an ad for their new app.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First response TROLL. The app is free - I'm not making a single dime off of it. I'm paying for the domain name, web hosting, developer license and my time - and was lucky to have a buddy I ride with spend his time on graphics. I'm doing my part to contribute to the riding community on a large scale.

You also have no idea how long I've read the forums anonymously before registering. So guy a break trying to help out others.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did. I'm a private person and rather than run around with a name tag on chose to wait to post something that I know contributes to others.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,125 Posts
Your private, but yet designed and built an app you wish to share with the world?
I'm am not sure these two things equate...
You and your app are on the RADAR... If it is as transparent as you say, only time will tell..
In the meantime you may want to drop into the new members section and go through the motions.

Finally, welcome aboard.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Look! He's on match.com!

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1419305589.155394.jpg

Haha. Welcome to the forum.

I'll check out the app, what does it actually do? Can I plan rides or is it just another GPS tracker like a few other apps currently are?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@forty2366: That's hilarious! But I will say, I still have a bit more hair...at least for now! lol

It's not a ride planner - it's meant to record what your rode so you can build up a database of favorites rides that you can put in map mode later and re-ride. If you have friends that use it, then you can easily swap rides - you can share a recorded route through an email message or if standing next to them you can use AirDrop and share directly from your phone to theirs. (To use Apple's AirDrop you have to have it turned on on both phones and may need to tweak the settings a bit - I have mine only set to send/receive from people I have in my contacts list.)

The thing I didn't like about ride planners is I'll often hop on and just see where the wind takes me for the day and sometimes encounter something interesting I'd like to go back to later. I've got ideas for other features but didn't want to spend more time on it if there's not much interest in it.

@marion - yeah, thanks. I'm not a marketing person, just trying to contribute back hoping others find it useful. If they do, that's great and if nobody does that's great too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
is it possible to run another nav app too at the same time as this? I run swconnect to link to spotwalla which I don't want to stop using

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes you should be able to - I've not tried this myself but I know I've put my app in the background a couple of times to do something else and it kept working. The only caution I'd make is that having multiple apps running and using GPS simultaneously *may* impact battery life (assuming your phone isn't plugged in) more than running just one app at a time. This will most likely vary depending on the app and phone being used.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I find this to be a really interesting app and it is what I have been looking for. I will download and report in the new year as to how it works. I am new to area I live in and the group I ride with take really back roads that I would like to ride with my wife. This app will allow me to do that.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I tried it today. Not bad for version 1.0. You could probably track the time vs. miles driven and calculate avg. MPH. Does what it is intended to. Recalibration of the gyro is anoying. Not sure why that is done each time. But, not a bad app for the price! I could see this being useful..good job!

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. If you make an app for android let me know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@marion: I had thought about including time for a ride, but opted (for now at least) not to do it because I didn't want to create a 'record' of how fast someone may have ridden ;-) In the database it stores the info there are timestamps (used so I can pull the way-points out in the right order to re-create the route), but I didn't want to blatantly display it. The other catch is right now I don't track when or if a recording is paused - I'd have to start tracking that and compensate for that when calculating the total time.

@marion: I've seen the recalibration of the gyro come up on my old iPhone 5S but not on my iPhone 6 - there's nothing specific in my code that's causing it. Later updates to iOS 8 seemed to make that disappear and return to normal for me...I'll poke around online and see if I can find other developers saying anything about this particular issue in case there's something I'm not aware of.

@Rum Runner: Yeah, if Google changes there limits on way-points and I create an Android version I'll let everyone know. (Or if I get time to brainstorm a work-around that's works.....)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I can see not tracking timestamps, given stopping, starting over an extended period. Does it also give you a satellite view? Like google?

I do have the iPhone 6 with the latest update. It didn't come on every time. I started the app maybe 4 times and it came up twice.

When I 'share' it through email, the format is JRDF? Why not put it in a PDF with your watermark on it? Not everyone I would want to share it with has the app. Forcing folks to use the app to see a shared ride is not a good business model....just my viewpoint, but I think I'm a reasonable average user and it seems I shouldn't have to ask others to download the app. They should see the value and 'want' to download the app.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I should be able to easily add a toggle button to flip between the typical map display and the hybrid that gives you the satellite + road names. I'll add that to my to do list. I'll probably let the app default to the typical map display because that (should) use less data if you're out on a ride (and that would also equate to a tiny bit of battery savings too). Although I could also add a preference setting so it constantly defaults to one or the other so if you only want it to display satellite by default it'll do that.

The 'JRDF' (Junket Ride Data File) file is custom to the app. I did that in anticipation of adding features to the app where additional data may need to be transferred if you share a ride with another Junket user. My intent wasn't to exclude anyone, but hoping that enough people would find the app useful enough for them to download it and use it.

Exporting a PDF map - that's an interesting idea for sharing with non-Junket users. I'd have to see about the legalities of that - not sure if Apple would allow that or not (they license the map data from Tom-Tom). I am working on possibly supporting the GPX file format that would allow someone to import a recorded ride into their Harley's built-in GPS. That capability will really depend on how Harley's GPX file import works.

I've had the recalibration thing come up once for me recently but that's been it. Still need to poke around about that item.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone! I do hope you find it useful.

Just a heads up that version 1.0.1 is in the process of working through Apple's approval process for release. Nothing major, just a couple things:

New Features:
* Added 'Type' button on map display. This allows the user to flip between standard an hybrid map displays.
* Added map type preference selection to the preference view. This allows the user to select what map type (standard or hybrid) to display by default in the map view.

Bug fix:
* If the user swiped left on the ride list and tapped the home button while the 'Delete' button was displayed the app would crash.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts