Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinkin of this on my 883 for some time-who has done this and what do you think after-I dont mind the work or the expense if it is worth it, I like the sporty frame , its light and easy to throw around-with the extra HP it would be a killer.

·
Registered
361 Posts
883 has different gearing. If you build the engine, it still won't be the same as a 1200 from the factory.

·
Registered
1998 Harley Davidson FXDL low rider " Dynasor"
480 Posts
There is a j&p cycles video on u tube for the entire procedure. I am sure Fifty is correct on gearing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
883 has different gearing. If you build the engine, it still won't be the same as a 1200 from the factory.
Seems to me some of these kits come with the new gears-so its not just the top end that gets worked on but the whole 9 yards

·
Registered
1998 Harley Davidson FXDL low rider " Dynasor"
480 Posts
It's alot of work. I have never done one, knew someone who did he liked it.

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,048 Posts
It's actually not a terrible job. I did it on my '16. Unfortunately, whoever owned it before me had skimmed the shit out the heads, so god only knows what the CR was, but until it started to throw a rod, it was a beast.

I know of no conversion kits that include 1200 gearing. I wouldn't worry about that. With the 883 gearing, you'll have a total stoplight to stoplight monster.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We are only talking about replacing the engine sprocket in a chain case from 34 to 38 if i’m right plus chain, no drama! Way harder to install and set of rings on a piston and into a jug, imo!

·
Registered
62 Posts
The only difference between a 883 and 1200 is the engine sprocket 34t vs 38t easy to replace with a longer chain and you end up with the exact same gear ratio! Maybe i’m over thinking stuff, you can always replace external sprocket for same result for sure! Was a long time the last time i played on a sporty! Cheer!

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,048 Posts
You are WAY overthinking that. Sure, you can change primary gearing, but the point I am making is that that overcomplicates an easy job. If you think swapping jugs and pistons is hard, why would you be thinking of swapping primary gears. What I am saying is that the 883 has (one, I believe) fewer teeth on the drive pulley.

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,048 Posts
883 is 28T (but maybe that changed by 2011). Okay, now, let's just get back to the point: If you think swapping the pistons and jugs is hard (it isn't, but ...), why do you want to muck about swapping out a primary chain and gears?

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,048 Posts
Put it this way: It took me an entire day to do the 883 to 1200 swap, but if I had then gone on to tear down the primary, that would have added another day (I do NOT claim to be a fast wrencher). If you really want to play around with the gearing, I'd recommend this:

·
Registered
62 Posts
883 is 28T (but maybe that changed by 2011). Okay, now, let's just get back to the point: If you think swapping the pistons and jugs is hard (it isn't, but ...), why do you want to muck about swapping out a primary chain and gears?
Never said really hard! but harder them replacing a stupid sprocket, there is more involve in installing a set of cylinder IE rings gaps, cylinder are within spec! etc etc, i've been fixing helicopter long enough so i'm mechanically incline! don't be worry for me ;-) You have to take in account some will think every one can do it and will come back asking why their bike burn more oil than gaz or the stupid thing broke a ring land because rings too tight! i'm putting together my own 117 BB in my motorcycle including crankshaft with timken/shim bearing and the rings for my ''ready to install cylinder kit'' were too tight, so yes little more involve than a sprocket for someone that think very easy to install!

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,048 Posts
Fair enough. The rings in my S&S kit were all properly gapped right out of the box, and companies like Hammer will gap/pre-assemble them for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Put it this way: It took me an entire day to do the 883 to 1200 swap, but if I had then gone on to tear down the primary, that would have added another day (I do NOT claim to be a fast wrencher). If you really want to play around with the gearing, I'd recommend this:

Use to replace engine sprocket in my softy back in 90 also, was a very easy way to have rpm where you wanted to have fun! easy and cheap to do :cool: in My RG i did the same! easy to do -2t give me that fun on take off also and get me right a 3k rpm @ 80mph so i can stay in 6th gear and will accelerate fast enough when solo as req! worse case drop one and go!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts