Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,048 Posts
I swapped a complete low mile 1200 into mine after the 883 converted motor went south. Since I ride 28 miles one way to work, I prefer the gearing on the stock 1200.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
so- is it yes or no? Im not a mech but can wrench and read a schematic-are the "kits" and install videos from S&S accurate? are Hammer kits better? It seems the vids tell you "you get all you need in this kit" Or-is this project another 'forever' job? you dont get all you need so you end up buying gaskets etc till you puke?

·
Registered
1998 Harley Davidson FXDL low rider " Dynasor"
480 Posts
If you have all the tools first. If the rings need to be gapped on install, going to not be much fun unless you have done it before. And is critical. Doing anything else plus that I think is alot of work. Do you have any type of motorcycle stand? Not a lift, safely supported so you don't get hurt when working on bike. Have you ever installed pistons and rings? Not being critical, its way important to be 100% correct on install. Gaskets, small parts, brakecleen, loctite, you be surprised it adds $ fast. I am not familiar with a 883 lower end, basically saying is it beefy enough to blow up to 1200. Kyle or Scott would know. I wouldn't do it. But its a personal thing, and wish you the best.

·
Registered
480 Posts
PS I am 100% familiar with how fast parts alone add up, on any engine job, let alone labor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
have a lift and all the hand tools less the ring wrench which I think I can rent-all the goop I got- been there already. If it is truly like the lowbrow vid I can do it-feeler gauges? yes. I dont mind the labor as im retired, the only tool ill need is the ring wrench-I need a winter project so its not a rush. I should have done all this when I was young, my roids are killing me

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sounds good, didn't know. Go for it! Have no doubt knowing that, you got it! I am sure be nice when done. Post some pics if you want. Tc AK

·
Registered
361 Posts
Cost should not be the issue. For the price, it's cheaper and easier to sell an 883, then buy a 1200. If you don't already own a Sportster, buy the bike you want. Don't buy a 883, then convert it. People who do these conversions at home, do it for personal gratification. If you take on the job, enjoy it.

As for gearing.... It's a personal choice. Not necessary.

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,048 Posts
so- is it yes or no? Im not a mech but can wrench and read a schematic-are the "kits" and install videos from S&S accurate? are Hammer kits better? It seems the vids tell you "you get all you need in this kit" Or-is this project another 'forever' job? you dont get all you need so you end up buying gaskets etc till you puke?
The kits come with gaskets in general. Forever job? Afternoon job. A side note: You WILL need to install a stronger clutch spring.

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,048 Posts
If you have all the tools first. If the rings need to be gapped on install, going to not be much fun unless you have done it before. And is critical. Doing anything else plus that I think is alot of work. Do you have any type of motorcycle stand? Not a lift, safely supported so you don't get hurt when working on bike. Have you ever installed pistons and rings? Not being critical, its way important to be 100% correct on install. Gaskets, small parts, brakecleen, loctite, you be surprised it adds $ fast. I am not familiar with a 883 lower end, basically saying is it beefy enough to blow up to 1200. Kyle or Scott would know. I wouldn't do it. But its a personal thing, and wish you the best.
So long as you don't have 13:1 CR, if the crank and rods are in decent shape when you do it, it won't blow up the bottom end.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
After all the info and a lot of reading im not gonna do this upgrade. It appears, in the end , to be another "forever" job-its always gonna be something -and I have done these jobs in other trades over the years, they can go on forever and I wanna ride it not marry it-so thanx to all! and ill be back the next time it shits the bed.

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,048 Posts
After all the info and a lot of reading im not gonna do this upgrade. It appears, in the end , to be another "forever" job-its always gonna be something -and I have done these jobs in other trades over the years, they can go on forever and I wanna ride it not marry it-so thanx to all! and ill be back the next time it shits the bed.
Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. Thousands of 883-1200 conversions out there, with only a small number needing follow-up related to the conversion itself (and not to human error). I personally know two other guys who've done 1200 conversions and neither has had any issue other than wanting more power after sampling what's possible. If that's a "forever job," then call me a happy motorhead.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. Thousands of 883-1200 conversions out there, with only a small number needing follow-up related to the conversion itself (and not to human error). I personally know two other guys who've done 1200 conversions and neither has had any issue other than wanting more power after sampling what's possible. If that's a "forever job," then call me a happy motorhead.
After 40 years in the trades ive found Murphys law predominates. Also -dealing with HD dealers is a pain then there's after market tuners, dyno up the ass, like any old car or truck you Mod up thats money you never see again it goes on ad nauseum-and it never ends, If thats what folks want to do, bless you-me? If I were younger I might do it over but in the end , it isnt worth it, thats just me-thanx for all the good advice.

·
Registered
361 Posts
but in the end , it isnt worth it, thats just me

I came to the same conclusion. After factoring in the out of pocket cost, and time; I decided that if I really needed a bike to go 100 mph+, I would just sell my 883, and buy something faster. Considering that when new, the price difference is that much between the 883 and 1200. On the used market, the price difference is not all that much. Compared to what I would need to do to convert an 883 to a 1200 - engine + gears.

·
Registered
480 Posts
After 40 years in the trades ive found Murphys law predominates. Also -dealing with HD dealers is a pain then there's after market tuners, dyno up the ass, like any old car or truck you Mod up thats money you never see again it goes on ad nauseum-and it never ends, If thats what folks want to do, bless you-me? If I were younger I might do it over but in the end , it isnt worth it, thats just me-thanx for all the good advice.
(y)

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,048 Posts
Cheers, man!

·
Registered
480 Posts
You been around and obviously smart. Sometimes you open that can of worms and too late to go back! Like I said I wouldn't do it, but didn't want to discourage you if you wanted to. Trying to make something it never was can be an endless black hole.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts