Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
gorilla glue tuff
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well like the title says i changed my brake pads today since the old ones were toasted and after i put the new ones on i took her for a ride. the front brake lever is crazy tight, it moves back about 3/4 of an inch and if i pull it any further than that i would probably lock up the front wheel. any suggestions on what might be causing it? maybe its normal and i'm just paranoid? and i cant tell but i feel like the pads are way to close to the rotor. i followed the manual and even bled the brakes after. the old pads i could damn near pull the front brake to the throttle before it would lock up the tire(not that i tried).

·
Retired citizen
24,137 Posts
well like the title says i changed my brake pads today since the old ones were toasted and after i put the new ones on i took her for a ride. the front brake lever is crazy tight, it moves back about 3/4 of an inch and if i pull it any further than that i would probably lock up the front wheel. any suggestions on what might be causing it? maybe its normal and i'm just paranoid? and i cant tell but i feel like the pads are way to close to the rotor. i followed the manual and even bled the brakes after. the old pads i could damn near pull the front brake to the throttle before it would lock up the tire(not that i tried).
That sounds correct , you're not supposed to be able to get the lever to the grip . Nothing wrong !!

·
gorilla glue tuff
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds correct , you're not supposed to be able to get the lever to the grip . Nothing wrong !!
Awesome thanks for the reply. The old pads were shot so I was used to the lever coming back a lot.

·
Señor Member
19,743 Posts
The pads are closer to the rotors because they have some pad left on them? Those worn out pads were worn and needed to travel farther to get home?

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
paranoid? and i cant tell but i feel like the pads are way to close to the rotor.
Pads should be in light contact with the rotor under normal, not applied, circumstances. The caliper seals actually return the pistons when the brake is released and will never return to the point of no contact.

This is normal for disc brake operation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ken391/2000 sportser

Pads should be in light contact with the rotor under normal, not applied, circumstances. The caliper seals actually return the pistons when the brake is released and will never return to the point of no contact.

This is normal for disc brake operation.
Hi, new to forum -went for a ride today -started out fine ,went about 2 miles from home and front brakes got super tight (locked )could not move at all -after about15 min.s front wheel got free (cooled down I quest?)-got home added #5 brake fluid (low)went out again and after a couple miles front brakes locked again -waited still they cooled and came home using rear brakes only ?Iam lost -everything is fine when I start out-but brake lever gets super tight /no movement at all as I ride along -what is making thiw happen?thanks ever so much -Ken

·
Registered
867 Posts
Building pressure !

Hi, new to forum -went for a ride today -started out fine ,went about 2 miles from home and front brakes got super tight (locked )could not move at all -after about15 min.s front wheel got free (cooled down I quest?)-got home added #5 brake fluid (low)went out again and after a couple miles front brakes locked again -waited still they cooled and came home using rear brakes only ?Iam lost -everything is fine when I start out-but brake lever gets super tight /no movement at all as I ride along -what is making thiw happen?thanks ever so much -Ken
Hi , Sounds like you have 2 different fluids mixed . this will cause a boil . purge all fluids & vent an purge the correct Harley brand brake fluid back in. Just my thoughts . I hope this will correct your problem. Bud

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome thanks for the reply. The old pads were shot so I was used to the lever coming back a lot.
My understanding of hydraulic brakes is that regardless of how much or how little pad there is, the lever pull should be virtually the same since the brake fluid compensates and ensures the same amount of piston travel. Correct?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pop the top of your reservoir and make sure it's not hydro'd. ie: not overfilled. If you've added brake fluid during the time the pads were wearing down then end up pushing the pistons back inti their bore you may be having a hydro lock in your reservoir. Air compresses liquids don't.(y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts