Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know haven't introduced myself and this is the thread to but here it goes, from the Chicagoland area and have been riding fire the last 20 years, but i finally picked up my first new bike it's a 2012 Fat Bob, thing is it has started to leak brake fluid out of the front brake master cylinder, and when i took it in for the 1000 mile service the dealer said it was normal.....has anyone else had this problem? I have heard it was normal for all Harleys is that true? ........all answers will be appreciated thanks much for your comment and safe riding to you all.........

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Ok so I know haven't introduced myself and this is the thread to but here it goes, from the Chicagoland area and have been riding fire the last 20 years, but i finally picked up my first new bike it's a 2012 Fat Bob, thing is it has started to leak brake fluid out of the front brake master cylinder, and when i took it in for the 1000 mile service the dealer said it was normal.....has anyone else had this problem? I have heard it was normal for all Harleys is that true? ........all answers will be appreciated thanks much for your comment and safe riding to you all.........

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Not normal. Defective and a safety issue that would fail most state's safety inspections. Not to mention, DOT-4 brake fluid will damage paint. Assuming dealer infact said it was "normal", then you need to find another dealer....

Reactions: EasyGlider

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's what I thought going to have to call another dealer this weekend to find out what they think...........

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Official COA Hunter
276 Posts
You should call the manager of that dealership and voice safety concerns about their staff. Just because you were smart enough to ask someone doesn't mean the poor bastard who gets screwed by them next doesn't get hurt or killed from their neglegence. If it is an HD dealership you might even want to contact their corporate office and complain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I'm definitely going to make some waves this Saturday when i get a chance to get over there........

Sent from my DROID RAZR

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,331 Posts
I have a new Heritage and also had a front master cylinder problem. It didn't leak, but it wouldn't hold pressure and sometimes the brake lever would squeeze almost all the way before engaging the brake.

They bled it, but the problem came back. They were very helpful and wanted it to be right and me to be happy. They rebuilt the master cylinder, didn't see anything grossly wrong, but it fixed the problem and has been fine ever since.

No, it shouldn't leak.

·
Registered
303 Posts
That guy is bullshiiting you. I have never had that problem. That stuff is corrosive. Nothing worse than a lazy bastard mechanic who just wants to take your money but doesn't want to bother his arse doing the work. You should poish your boots...on the seat of his pants.

·
Banned
681 Posts
and when i took it in for the 1000 mile service the dealer said it was normal.....

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Doesn't matter if it's a Harley, a rice-grinder, a 2-wheeler or a 16-wheeler no hydraulic brake system should leak - ever! I can't believe that a so-called mechanic (sorry Technician) does not know that.
If what you say is correct then I think I'd be tempted to drop that grease-monkey in front of a truck so he can feel what's like when the brakes fail.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any leak is a concern. Is it leaking from the banjo fitting? Maybe just try to smoke it down a bit. My 2010 doesn't leak at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a new Heritage and also had a front master cylinder problem. It didn't leak, but it wouldn't hold pressure and sometimes the brake lever would squeeze almost all the way before engaging the brake.

They bled it, but the problem came back. They were very helpful and wanted it to be right and me to be happy. They rebuilt the master cylinder, didn't see anything grossly wrong, but it fixed the problem and has been fine ever since.

No, it shouldn't leak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with all, leaks are not normal.
Can you tell where is oil leaking from at reservoir? Open up reservoir, check seal condition, condition of lid, fluid level (excessive?) Also check fittings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts