Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
would like some thoughts on an issue I am having with my front brakes. When I am moving the bike around in the garage I noticed a rubbing sound coming from the front end. The brake pads are rubbing on the rotor and I don't think it should be that way, because when I am riding, after a while the bike just feels like it has a "governor" restricting it... no amount of throttle will make the bike go faster. Then after a bit longer riding, it the bike responds as normal to the throttle but then the front brake lever travels farther than when cold when I apply it, and in fact barely seems to apply any braking. After a while of riding if I don't use the brake for a while it seems to return to a state where it's about 60% normal. So my questions are: are the brake pads supposed to be rubbing and making noise when not applying the lever? Is this causing the brakes system to heat and result in the problem I mentioned? and finally, of course, what do I do to fix? Some others said to bleed the brakes that there is air in the system and the heating causes the air to expand, thereby reducing the effectiveness of the hydraulics...

Thanks for your help!
Tony
Oh, pics attached of the front brake pads...

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
The brake pads will have a slight chafing on the rotors that's normal if it has a heavy drag than the caliper is not releasing and would need to be rebuilt.
Also if air in the lines the lever would feel spongy and or drop when squeezed then you would need to bleed the brake system if ABS than a trip to the Dealer would be in order good luck hope you get them worked out.

·
Registered
935 Posts
It could be the angle of the picture, but it looks like the brake pad material is thinner on the inside pad. When I was a car brake tech, this difference was usually an indicator of a caliper sticking.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
A very easy way to tell if your brakes are dragging is to ride for a while, then stop without using that brake. Feel your rotor, if you have not used the brake it should not be hot.

·
Registered
12,002 Posts
double post sorry

·
Registered
12,002 Posts
Pull caliper off, spin the wheel. Should hear no noise from wheel bearings, one thing to not worry about. Look at brake pistons. Chance some build up of dirt may cause pistons from retracting properly. Are brake pads wearing evenly? Clean things up if you find dirt packed around pistons. Bleed brake after reinstalling. Test ride at low speed. As mentioned by Breeze try that first. Don't ride bike till you fix brakes, NOT SAFE.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input folks.. I rode a short ride ( stayed in first) and when I got home the front brake completely locked up, so there is a problem and the rotor was so hot, it actually had a blue tint to it this morning.. so yup, I will be doing a full brake caliper rebuild, brake fluid flush, probably replace the brake pads... hopefully the rotor wasn't damaged.... I will post when finished..

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
Sounds like the front rotor is bent or warped. For a quick check lay a straight edge around on the rotor in the wear area. The straight edge should lay flat, no gaps anyplace. The best way to check is with a dial indicator tho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been working on the front brakes on my 2001 RK, and have done everything to get the firmness back on the lever. Found several piston hanging and got things back to working right. My question is...are the later model ABS calipers interchangeable with the older bikes?

·
Registered
12,002 Posts
Might go check at your local friendly HD parts guy. Might be cross reference list

1 - 10 of 10 Posts