Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
need mods
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an optional front brake set up to get more braking power? I came from a Ninja 1000 to the 2014 Fat Boy Lo and I like a stronger brake in the front if possible. Thx ahead.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You can swap out the pads for a better performing pad. A lot of guys like lyndall pads. I have never used them, but I know many who swear by them. They come in a variety of grades.

Also, there are dozens of different aftermarket rotors and calipers out there.

I also ran into a guy at the local dealership last year that had converted is Heritage (same bike as yours essentially) to a dual-rotor setup using Harley parts off a touring bike.

I rode a Heritage for a while. It's my opinion that the FL softails should have the two-disc rig from the factory.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
Anyone know the life expectancy of stock pads? I'm at 23k and starting to get a squeak out of the front in the last couple feet of braking to a stop.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Anyone know the life expectancy of stock pads? I'm at 23k and starting to get a squeak out of the front in the last couple feet of braking to a stop.
What kind of oil are you using on them? :)

I think the wear is all over the place. My 2005 Classic had 40K on it and still had life in the original pads. But, others say they have seen them dead at 20-25K. Some of the old school, no front brake guys probably never have to change them.

You should be able to sneak a look pretty easily to see if they are about done.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
What kind of oil are you using on them? :)

I think the wear is all over the place. My 2005 Classic had 40K on it and still had life in the original pads. But, others say they have seen them dead at 20-25K. Some of the old school, no front brake guys probably never have to change them.

You should be able to sneak a look pretty easily to see if they are about done.

My guess is they're cool then.
I don't brake much. :know

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
Does the manual say anything about how to inspect? IOW, what will I see when they're spent?

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
Pads get thin............... there is a thread about cleaning the calipers on here somewhere. Search is your friend. :thumbsup

:coffee:

Hahahaha, c'mon webco. I know pads get thin, man! Hahahaha.

What I don't know is how thick they are new, how thin is too thin, etc.

I'm saving for bars and the fact that I need tires is holding me back. I don't wanna buy brakes unless I NEED them, you know?

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
Sorry about hijacking your thread, orange.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hahahaha, c'mon webco. I know pads get thin, man! Hahahaha.

What I don't know is how thick they are new, how thin is too thin, etc.

I'm saving for bars and the fact that I need tires is holding me back. I don't wanna buy brakes unless I NEED them, you know?
OK OK...my bad...I went and looked it up in the MoCo service manual .

"replace at 3/32" thickness"........

Cleaning your calipers is cheap too, needs to be done every 5K or so .

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
OK OK...my bad...I went and looked it up in the MoCo service manual .

"replace at 3/32" thickness"........

Cleaning your calipers is cheap too, needs to be done every 5K or so .

Solid. Thanks, man.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,116 Posts
Chief,

Bring that brown beauty over to my house, it takes longer to pull out the tools then it does to inspect and clean... its that much of a cake walk. I have to clean my fronts every 5K. I changed em out this year even after 20k there was plenty left, but they are 11 years old.

Sorry for the thread drift orange...

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
Chief,

Bring that brown beauty over to my house, it takes longer to pull out the tools then it does to inspect and clean... its that much of a cake walk. I have to clean my fronts every 5K. I changed em out this year even after 20k there was plenty left, but they are 11 years old.

Sorry for the thread drift orange...

I'm gonna take you up on that, man. I've never cleaned mine. Did I miss that on the service interval chart??

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,116 Posts
I'm gonna take you up on that, man. I've never cleaned mine. Did I miss that on the service interval chart??
I'm the proud owner of the 4 piston calipers which after about 5K a piston or two stops working, resulting in extra travel on my fronts. To prevent that, I just clean em every 5K. Per Dave's sticky.

FYI no need for ya to bring anything, I'll just use the wife's toothbrush.:laugh

·
Banned
71 Posts
I'm the proud owner of the 4 piston calipers which after about 5K a piston or two stops working, resulting in extra travel on my fronts. To prevent that, I just clean em every 5K. Per Dave's sticky.

FYI no need for ya to bring anything, I'll just use the wife's toothbrush.:laugh
You're a brave man . :usa

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts

I bet piston travel (or failure to travel, I should say) is the reason behind the squeak. Let's do this.

·
Banned
90 Posts
where do you guys get the minimum pad thickness is 3/32 in, the pads brand NEW OEM pads have only 4/32 in on them or 3.5 mm out of the box the minimum is .016 in or .4 mm, I know that because I just measured a new set! and just replaced my rears yesterday, bought fronts too but have 1.5 mm left gonna save for later, and chief I have a FLHRC 09 my fronts squeak last couple feet always, dealer says normal with brembo pads.

·
Señor Member
19,668 Posts
Thanks, flapper. I'll check my manual tonight.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts