Registered
39,472 Posts
Whats your fluid level like?

Front brake not dragging any is it?

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the fluid level a few days ago and it was normal, but I will recheck in the morning when I am sober. :cheers and no the brake does not drag.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Take the front brake master cylinder and lever assy off the handlebar. Don't disconnect the hose. Turn it over and thoroughly spray aerosol brake parts cleaner on the plunger that the lever pushes against to apply the brake. Dirt and crud tends to accumulate around the seal for that plunger and can keep it from fully returning when the lever is released.

You may also need to clean the caliper pistons. The is a sticky in the brakes section about how to do this. It was written and posted by Dave63. This will give you a better brake, which can also help your problem. This is considered maintenance and should be done on a regular basis, as needed. Especially on older bikes.

If you still have the problem, it may be time to change your brake fluid and do a flush and bleed.

--

·
Just Ride
3,255 Posts
Make sure your master cylinder housing and throttle housing are tight against each other.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got into work this morning early and started poking around. I pulled the top cap and the gasket off and much to my avail I was low on fluid, but I also found the crap in the attached picture...

Looking back it was not my bike that I checked the fluid on, but it was my friends bike that is damn near identical to mine. I have new fluids and a vacumme pump to draw new fluid in it once I get this crap cleaned up. Thanks for yalls help. I also have new gaskets on the way for front and rear master cylinders.

·
Registered
39,472 Posts
Im concerned that DOT4 and DOT5 brake fluid got mixed together.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That master cylinder should be cleaned and rebuilt.

·
Retired citizen
23,359 Posts
Agreed, completely flush and clean the system. Keep a spray bottle of water handy and completely douse any spilled DOT4, that crap eats paint and stains aluminum. Plain water dilutes DOT4 enough and rinses it away.

·
Indecisive Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well I have all the tools and new brake fluid. I have a new top cap, gasket, and plunger assembly which will be here tomorrow. I'm gonna rebuild the master cylinder and purge the entire system and refill with proper dot 4 fluid. I hope to be done just in time to enjoy the beautiful weather forecast this weekend!

Non bumping update. I ended up scraping about 1/8th inch of the jello looking crap once I drained the bowl. After a very thorough cleaning and rebuild it is now working great!

·
Registered
39,472 Posts
Non bumping update. I ended up scraping about 1/8th inch of the jello looking crap once I drained the bowl. After a very thorough cleaning and rebuild it is now working great!
Good to hear. :thumb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts