Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a shake in my front end when I let off the gas fast and take my hands off the handle bars
I have had the bearings checked
The fork oil changed
Had front end checked off the ground and turned the tire and the steering works to specs perfect
New tire American elite it balanced perfect
New brake pads
Anybody have any other ideas beside don't take my hands off the bars

·
Done
4,154 Posts
First, an introduction. Guys don't like newbies just asking questions and bolting. Not really sure why you drop the throttle and let go of the bars that fast though. Game of hot potato maybe????

·
Registered
48 Posts
Many bikes have this issue. I don't want to say its normal, cause it's not but...

My bike developed it over time, so I would say it is a wear issue on a bushing or bearing.

Something I did notice after installing my Ohlin front end the shake got worse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Smokey joe thanks
Buckshot someone told me there was a lot of people on here with a lot of knowledge
And why I did it is not the question the question is why does it do it

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
First, an introduction. Guys don't like newbies just asking questions and bolting. Not really sure why you drop the throttle and let go of the bars that fast though. Game of hot potato maybe????
You have to take into consideration the fact that the engine is on rubber mounts. A lot more shaking goes on in the frame and it transmits to the rest of the bike. Of course you will feel it in the front more than the back due to the moving parts and asimetrics. Stand beside your bike and rev it a few times. You will see what I talk about. Also ensure your tires have the right inflation. Road condition-tire inflation+engine and frame vibration=Cupping.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Smokey joe thanks
Buckshot someone told me there was a lot of people on here with a lot of knowledge
And why I did it is not the question the question is why does it do it
Ultra, there are a lot of fellas here who know a ton or have come across something odd. Just seems to be an odd question. Maybe it was my fault for thinking that you were doing this going down the road instead of at idle????? Just saw no logical reason to let go of the bars while riding. No offense.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Ultra, there are a lot of fellas here who know a ton or have come across something odd. Just seems to be an odd question. Maybe it was my fault for thinking that you were doing this going down the road instead of at idle????? Just saw no logical reason to let go of the bars while riding. No offense.
Your Penance will be... ten lashes with a wet noodle. :spank:

:coffee:

·
Registered
438 Posts
We might try to standardize the terminology, shake vs wobble. Does the steering oscillate left-right-left etc (wobble) or is there a vertical movement (as if a tire weren't round)?

You have checked most of what contributes to wobble. Remaining items to check: tire pressure front and rear, rear shock pressure, rear tire condition (heavily cupped or not), excessive load in tour pack (higher center of gravity seems to contribute to wobble). Rear wheel bearings should be checked also.
Check for loose or broken fairing mounts. The steering head bearing check was changed a couple of years ago so that on some models the three swing setting was reduced to a swing and a half. My machine was not one of the included models but I have always run the swing and a half since I had the low speed wobble and have no further problem.

After this stuff, it can get expensive, checking/replacing swing arm bushings and bearings and/or engine mounts. If it were mine, I'd go with the swing and half steering bearing setting and replace the rear tire if there is any indication it might be due. Good luck, hope it is a cheap or free adjustment that gets it for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
None taken buckshot I let go of the handle bars to wipe my hand and the front end went crazy I've. Never felt that before

·
"MacHine"
379 Posts
I was told by a Harley rep who checked out my wobble that touring bikes self balance. When you let go of the handlebars, the front end tries to right itself, hence the left and right oscillation. I then took the bike to another dealership with good technicians. They tightened the steering head and replace my cupped front tire. All gone now. I notice a slight wobble as my front tire gets up in mileage, around 10k.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts