Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would start a new thread on this, first off I want to thank everyone that helped out , made the job much easier.

Was hoping to score a cheapy service manual, looks like that ain"t gonna happen, so I ordered one today from the dealer.

The two issues I ran into was, looking at some newer bikes, they seem to have a small alignment hole up by the swing arm, I can see how you could get something small in there to center it.........see pic, mine is quite large and using this hole, can"t seem to get the center right, and the other side is just a hex nut..........so I used the two holes in the frame.........these are what I measured off in the first place, I was off a 1/16 so I fixed that to be even.

Sooooooooooo, which hole is the correct one.

Second issue, once again not thinking ahead of time, I figured while the wheels were off, I would clean the rotors with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, some dripped onto the tire, didn't even notice it until 30 minutes later or so.............wiped off the stuff and figured I took off some of the uv protection from the factory, so I threw on some of that aerospace uv protector, I supposed a little got on the threads, after reading some posts about TO NOT use tire dressing, I cleaned the tires 3 times today with S-100 and a SOS pad..........took the bike out for a ride around the block couple time figuring this might get the stuff out faster...........no problems so far bike rode good, so im gonna keep cleaning it everyday for awhile just to make sure.

Sorry for the long post, hard to explain in one sentence..........my biggest reason for concern is my front tire has an inner tube in it, im thinking can any brake cleaner get to the inner tube thru the spokes, if need be , im thinking of just taking off the front tire and getting a new inner tube............whats you think.

Thanks

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Unless you soaked the rim in cleaner, there is no problem. Don't worry yourself, just ride.

By the way, your center picture shows the measurement hole. None of that is important, as long as you have the wheel straight in the frame so the brake rotor and drive belt are aligned.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice bike. On mine I just use the air compressor to blow off most the dust then glass cleaner sprayed onto a rag. It takes a little longer to clean the rim but it keeps all chemicals away from the rubber.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem with Armorall on the tires. Thought I would be alright if I only put it on the sidewalls, Wrong!

When you ride the bike centrifugal force forces the Armorall on to the treads, very slick and dangerous!!

The only and best way to remove the Armorall is to use NAPTHA. Put some on a clean cloth and wipe off the tire where the Armorall is. Works great, the tire once again feels 'grippy' and don't ever do it again.

Took me 3 Days of regular cleaning and internet searching to come up with this solution.

No damage to the tire was apparent to the tire from the Naptha, just removed the Armorall.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Naptha works well, but Acetone woks as well, and isn't as harmful to the rubber. Bicycle mechanics have used it for years for just such work.

·
Retired citizen
22,242 Posts
Either method works to align the rear wheel. The swingarm holes are there for that purpose and going from the centers of the swingarm pivot bolt works equally as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts