Harley Davidson Forums banner

Front Tire Leak

12K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Zeta7 
#1 ·
I had a new Harley Davidson tire put on my bike late summer (front tire). Has about 2000 miles on it. Noticed around 1000 miles - that it was losing air. Dropped from 32lbs down to 19 - after a few hour ride one day. Put air back in it. Checked with sudsy water for any leakage - none. Especially around valve stem. Nothing. No holes that I can see or that bubbles would indicate. Leave it sit - during dramatic temperature changes. No leakage. Ride it one day - no leakage. Next day - loses 5-10lbs while riding it. Always while riding it. Never sitting - or - over night with temps here in MO jumping from 60 down to 20 in one day. So it has some load bearing issue. Dealer here suc*s. If I take it to them they will keep it for 3 weeks or until you call and remind them they have it. Any ideas what it may be?

#4 ·
Air the tire to recommended pressure.apply the sudsy water to the valve core and around the stem where it comes through the wheel,Now try bending,pushing and twisting the valve stem around and see if it leaks while doing that.
Sometimes a valve stem will appear to be O.K. and with soapy water not show any bubbles until it`s forced to one side or the other.

#6 ·
Also when warm a tire will expand and hole will also, that maybe the reason it leaks only when riding. Same applies to nail in tire when warn the hole will expand around nail then it leaks when cold it will contract and seal hole. If it were me I'd stay off till I figured it out.

#7 ·
scol - I was thinking about that today. The tire would get hot and expand. But then vlade said something about his sportster - I have a 21-21.5 TLA spoke rim. They put on a Tubeless (Tube type rim fit tube) 19-21 M/C 54H Dunlop (Harley Davidson tire) - I have tightened the inside of the valve stem. Felt tight - maybe tightened a little but that did not help. Since the day I bought the bike it had new tires on it. But I noticed that it also had a lot of weights to balance the tire and asked the sh*t dealer about it and he said "Nothing" - but of course that means the rim has been compromised to some degree - right. I will try moving the valve stem around. Rode it this AM for an hour. Lost 6 pds while driving it. Could feel it. Put air in it. Rode it this afternoon for two hours - no change in tire pressure. Odd. I wonder if it is the rim. Hmmmmmmmm.... Thanks.

#8 ·
I don't know anything about harley rims I'm a newbee with bikes how ever have some general knowledge about tires you are loosing air to erratically in my opinion to be riding, try to find a good independent repair shop if your dealer is no good, you must know some one in the area that can help you. Even a freind I fear you my be placing yourself in danger by riding a bike that is having that type of problem.

#9 ·
I called a guy who I talked to at the gas station today and he has a friend who works on bike in his gargage. Even tires - or - he has access to the equipment. I think it may be the rim. My tire upon inspection seems perfect - I have looked for anything - glass.?? But have found nothing. I am taking there tomorrow am. Thanks guys - I appreciate it.

#10 ·
Stay safe

#17 ·
You gotta have a tube in there, and I'll bet it got pinched during installation.

There are spoked rims out there that are sealed for use with tubeless tires (BMW for example),

and aftermarket Link. But I'll also bet that isn't what you have because AFAIK there are no 21" tubeless spoked wheels.

#18 · (Edited)
Should be able to look at the valve stem and tell if has a tube or a pull in type tubeless valve stem. I sure havnt heard of a Spotster tubeless spoked front wheel yet.

Tire may just be rated tubeless as theres no real problem putin a tube in a tubeless tire.

#19 ·
Hey guys - wanted to let you know that indeed I do have a tube mounted within my "tubleless" tire. I thought it was odd that I was able to move the valve stem slightly - which led me to believe you were all right about that. The dealer here changed ownership. We are now all hoping they are better. However - any previous work done is "Non Warranted" issues. Of course **$#(&*.

Either way - the tube was pinched and when it heated up - that is what made it leak. Very dangerous - I was told. I believe that. Probably makes sense as to why the old dealership - changed owners. Too many people here in St. Charles MO - had way too many complaints. At least mine is an old bike - and it was a tire issue. But it is fixed now and that makes me happy. Now trying to defrost my fingers - it was 29 degrees this AM. I found that (with gloves - non leather) - nothing feels as good as those hot pipes to defrost fingers. Thank you all for your help. Wanted to let you all know what came of it. You guys are the best..........Hope your all having a good day.

#20 ·
good now you're safe

#22 ·
I thought that was what the rear cylinder head was for.... some place to put your hand when tooling down the road on those colder days.

:D

#24 ·
I had a slow leak in my back tire, found the nail,pulled it out plugged the damn thing. Can't afford a new tire right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.