Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon, I’m new to the forum here; new to forums in general actually. My name is Chris and I’m a local 94 operating engineer and industrial equipment mechanic by trade. Which means my only choice in 2 wheeled death machines is Harley Davidson. Iconic, American and has enough issues from factory where I can mess with it on my own when bored and make it better. That being said, here’s my question lol:

I have a 2016 Dyna FXDB (Street Bob). I picked up a Moons MC Fly Eye V2 headlight with integrated turn signals on to the headlight it self (yes I’m aware there may be legal issues in NYC regarding the integrated turn signals, I’ll jump that bridge when I get to it).

That being said, has anyone installed this light on a Dyna and used the integrated turn signals on the headlight as dedicated signals and deleted their factory handle bar mount turn signals? I ask because I spoke to moonsmc and they told me that the standard plug for the headlight high/low beam is plug and play but the turn signals must be spliced into the existing turn signals.

Out of the back of the headlight are (3) connection points:

left signal wire (power), right signal wire (power) and the headlight plug.

The turn signals share a common ground with the headlight so all I have to do is cut out the existing signals, fish the wires back to the headlight bucket, make (1) 7/16” hole and put a grommet in to pull the wires through, solder the wires to the existing power wire at the turn signal connectors.

which color wire is power to the handle bar mount turn signals. Left and right?

I’m aware I’ll lose running light function by doing this but I’m ok with that, bought an led bar to remedy that.

No I don’t have a service manual handy.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am doing this right now. There are two plugs, one black for the right and one white for the left. You need to take the two outer pins and wires out of each connecter from the main connection up. You will be left with only a purple wire in the middle. One of these wires goes to the left turn signal wire on the fly eye 2 which is brown. The other purple wire goes to the green, right signal, wire. At the main connection that you pull out of the bulkhead the left turn signal wire is purple and goes to the white connector. The right is brown and goes to black connector. I pulled all my pins and heat shrunk them to one clean bundle. You will only have to cut wires at the front turn signal if you do it this way. No splicing except for two connections for the two purple wires that will be in the headlight bucket. From my experience on a 2009 FXD, the fly eye 2 and moonsmc H4 headlight bucket are not exactly plug and play. Here’s some pics of the harness I built and some wiring diagrams that will help. Let me know if you need any more guidance as I just did this today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey bud thanks for the reply. I got mine all done, as a side note my 2016 FXDB has spare plugs tucked under the tank for an HD relocation kit from handlebars to fork mount. Those can be used to connect to and run to the headlight bucket. I didn’t know about the spare plugs under the tank until I dug them out accidentally after install.

Here’s what I did for my set up:

1. Disconnect battery terminals.
2. Removed grommets at steering neck (left and right side).
3. Unplugged left and right control wire harness at steering neck.
4. Cut wires just above the grommet going into the handlebar turn signal housing.
5. Removed handle bar mount turn signals and used new acorn nuts on mirror stems and bolted them down. (Left and right)
6. Pulled of sheathing to expose 3 wires at each turn signal white, blue and violet. (Left and right)
7. Cut the white and blue wires staggered and heat shrunk each individually. (Left and right)
8. Spliced new 18G wire to the violet wire, soldered and heat shrink. (Left and right)
9. Removed handle bar controls and grips. (Left and right)
10. Fished spliced power wires through bars and out through the triple tree.
11. Drilled out (2) 1/2” holes in headlight bucket.
12. Installed waterproof firewall grommets I picked up at a hardware store.
13. Put terminal plug connectors on the power wires.
14. Female connectors onto fly eye V2 headlight.

cleaned everything up zip ties and all and now it’s truly plug and play. I also installed the led bar light and spliced into the low beam so it works as a running light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, just installed mine, now looking at doing the turn signal wiring. Can I just buy a wired plug and de pin what i dont need connect it to existing spare plugs and run it directly to the bucket? Thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
That’s what I did. Reuse old connectors, depinned, and ran through existing bucket hole. No holes drilled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thos is the right side, which one of these wires do I splice the green wire to for turn signals to work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Left side, I was just curious if all I needed to wire was the turn signal wires them selves or if i need to splice in any of the other two, thanks for the help guys. I am guessing the blue with pink is my turn signal wire as well, my diagram says purple but I think the rears were the same way.

should be the middle wire. Read my first post, I listed this.
Okay, so to be clear I will take the blue and pink wire, directly wire that to the brown wire left turn, and wire the blue and red to the green wire right side turn? Than turn signals will work? Sorry I dont want to have to pull it apart again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You only need the middle wire. Yeah man that’s what worked for me. Left = Brown, Right = Green. I also added a load resistor too but I added the rear led and don’t know if it’s absolutely needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have issues with the intergraded turn signals stop working while the bike is running? They seem to work perfect with just the ignition on, bike not running. Then I’ll fire up the bike and they blink 3-5 times then stop, while the stock blinkers and rear continue to blink. And I can’t get the intergraded signals to come back on until I shut the bike off.

I pulled the light out of the bucket and checked voltage on the turn signal wires while they are still connected. I’m getting voltage flashes on the blinker wires but no turn signals on the headlight itself.

on my 17 street bob I’m still using the stock handlebar blinkers and an aftermarket rear license plate with LED integrated turn signals. I spliced the moons fly v2 signal wires (green& brown) into the extra turn signal wires found in the neck of the frame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts