Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Ultra just touched 30 K miles:
I noticed while riding the twisties yesterday, my front wheel was making a odd noise only in the turns. The heavier the lean angle, the more prominent the sound. It is a much higher pitch sound than what i would expect from wheel bearings. The front tire is a American Elite with roughly 2500 miles on it. I kinda suspected brake noise but, the sound didn't have any relation to "trail breaking" in the corners. I wish i could better explain this sound! My hearing sucks! I can't where hearing aids with a helmet. Am i just hearing the tread as it wraps around to the chicken strips or what? Any Ideas?

·
Retired citizen
23,667 Posts
Probably running on side threads, they differ from the center threads and also aren't as worn as the center threads.
All the different models and years of Harleys that I service in a year and doing the tire inspections I can tell ya that side threads take less of a beating than the centers do. Some worn out tires have the nubs / nipples still on the side threads.
The sport bikes wear the tires more evenly tho. What does that tell ya ?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for confirming my suspicions! I figure it better to ask than, ignore something significant.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I would suspect front tire noise too. Check for cupping on that tire. Even just a little cupping can cause a whine. My 08 stock Road King is doing it evenly on both left & right turns.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would suspect front tire noise too. Check for cupping on that tire. Even just a little cupping can cause a whine. My 08 stock Road King is doing it evenly on both left & right turns.
Not even a hint of cupping (Yet) this tire has less than 3 k miles on it. I did go look n' rub, just to make sure, based upon your reply. I hadn't thought of that prior. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Had front jacked up took wheel off. Cleaned my forever pain in a$$ spokes some years back. Wheel back on spun it just because before reinstalling caliper. Low grumble from front wheel bearings, worth checking out. Low miles on new bike less than 20K

·
Asylum Inmate
11,896 Posts
Reactions: SoftailBilly

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Mine did that too. Very hard to see at first. With a clean tire run over a dusty floor and look at the tire. Those little cups or scallops will show up as clean spots on a dusty tire.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have American Elite's on my Electra Glide and they do sound different in turns.
Exactly what i "think" it is, just hadn't noticed it before or, just heavy cornering with no other traffic around so i could hear it!

Reactions: sardonicus87

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 Ultra just touched 30 K miles:
I noticed while riding the twisties yesterday, my front wheel was making a odd noise only in the turns. The heavier the lean angle, the more prominent the sound. It is a much higher pitch sound than what i would expect from wheel bearings. The front tire is a American Elite with roughly 2500 miles on it. I kinda suspected brake noise but, the sound didn't have any relation to "trail breaking" in the corners. I wish i could better explain this sound! My hearing sucks! I can't where hearing aids with a helmet. Am i just hearing the tread as it wraps around to the chicken strips or what? Any Ideas?
May or may not be , but few years back had something very similar, drove me nuts couldn't figure it out. Turned out to be the wire for fender light rubbing on the tire.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Exactly what i "think" it is, just hadn't noticed it before or, just heavy cornering with no other traffic around so i could hear it!
I have the same thing intermittently. Does it sound like a whining that increases/decreases with the lean? I only hear mine on front left. I still have OEM tires so I was thinking it's the wheel bearing.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Lol, I have the exact opposite problem with my 14 SG with Commander III's on it. It sings/whines/vibrates bad around 60 mph while going straight down the road. When I lean into a turn, it shut's up! Only at 60 +/- mph though, otherwise, quite. But there are lots of threads on this issue with the new CIII's and it's a known problem at Michelin........

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
weird member
2,444 Posts
Lol, I have the exact opposite problem with my 14 SG with Commander III's on it. It sings/whines/vibrates bad around 60 mph while going straight down the road. When I lean into a turn, it shut's up! Only at 60 +/- mph though, otherwise, quite. But there are lots of threads on this issue with the new CIII's and it's a known problem at Michelin........
I was looking at tires the other day, just for the hell of it, and I saw on DK the Commander II tires have like 5/5 stars on 487 reviews and both types of the IIIs have like a 2.5/5 on 3 reviews. I've seen other places too where the III's have been a let down compared to the IIs.

I run American Elites at the moment, but I saw a bike that had an Elite 3 or Elite 4 rear tire, so I was looking at tires to see what the deal with that was. Side note, the Elite 4 tires available for my bike also have the same sort of thing as the Michelins (the AE has 5/5 on 200-something reviews and the Elite 4 has a 3.5/5 on 15 reviews).

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not long after I bought my 2013 Ultra I noticed the whine when I leaned into a curve. I had the wheel bearings checked and they found nothing. As the front tires wore, the whine became less and less. Not long ago I had the front tire replaced and on the way home noticed the whine was back. I'm sure it's the tires.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not long after I bought my 2013 Ultra I noticed the whine when I leaned into a curve. I had the wheel bearings checked and they found nothing. As the front tires wore, the whine became less and less. Not long ago I had the front tire replaced and on the way home noticed the whine was back. I'm sure it's the tires.
Are you running American Elites?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts