Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came off a 1000 mile trip down in Mexico, the roads wear riddled with very bad pot holes, my bike took a beating, actually one time after I took flight and landed, I hit the ground so hard the impact caused my ignition switch to flip into the off position, my concern (I have several now) is that when I am cruising over 80 my frt end become very unstable and wobbles realy bad, I inspect the frt rim, and did not see any evidence of rim damage. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
42,939 Posts
Spoke wheels or cast? If spoke, you may need to get it re trued. Otherwise might need to get them rebalanced.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If they are spoke wheels, have both checked. tightend and trued. the rear affects the front end as much as the front wheel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Whether spoked, or cast, wheels can be deformed by the constant pounding of a bad road. so having them checked is important. Next, since the roads were so bad, the bushings in the fork tubes may have loosened due to the pounding as well, and the suspension parts inside may have taken wear, or damage. So to the dealer you must go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, I don't suspect the susnsion nor bushings as bike was completely rebuilt and this was the first real long road trip, so it may just be in the wheels. I'll start at trueing and tightening the spokes

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just came off a 1000 mile trip down in Mexico, the roads wear riddled with very bad pot holes, my bike took a beating, actually one time after I took flight and landed, I hit the ground so hard the impact caused my ignition switch to flip into the off position, my concern (I have several now) is that when I am cruising over 80 my frt end become very unstable and wobbles realy bad, I inspect the frt rim, and did not see any evidence of rim damage. Any thoughts.
If everything checks out on the front end... check the back of the bike... Had the same problem a few years ago.. it was my back tire...

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Front end problems are sometimes the result of back end issues. Also check your parallelism of your forks. Keep the top pinch bolts tight, loosen the bottom ones, mush (technical term, don't be scared) up and down a few times and then tighten your pinch bolts again. This is usually a good way to get em straight again. Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I know this is going to sound strange, but it is the truth, I finally get a chance to bring my bike into the steeler, they turned me away with an "appointment" for June 29th, yes June 29th to check out my "vibration/wobble" concerns, so I went down the road (angry) to a small independant shop, while talking with the shop staff and explaining my issues (the bike issues) the shop informed me it was the motormount, I explained that I had just had a new motormount installed at the steeler in the beginning of April, they went out, looked under the bike and started laughing, they informed me that the steeler had installed the new motormount "backwards" and this was the cuase of all my problems. So I went back to the steeler and informed them of this, they A) would not come out and look themselves without out me bitchin up a storm, B) they about 3 people tried to insist that the other shop was wrong and that infact the motormount was in correctly and I had other problems with my bike, that they would be happy to inspect on June 29th, then as I was leaving very dissapointed an angry, the tech came out and informed the service advisors that the mount was installed backwards, and the steeler somehow happened to have the time all of a sudden to bring my bike in and correct the problem, bike runs gret now, no wobble, no excessive vibration.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Ok, I know this is going to sound strange, but it is the truth, I finally get a chance to bring my bike into the steeler, they turned me away with an "appointment" for June 29th, yes June 29th to check out my "vibration/wobble" concerns, so I went down the road (angry) to a small independant shop, while talking with the shop staff and explaining my issues (the bike issues) the shop informed me it was the motormount, I explained that I had just had a new motormount installed at the steeler in the beginning of April, they went out, looked under the bike and started laughing, they informed me that the steeler had installed the new motormount "backwards" and this was the cuase of all my problems. So I went back to the steeler and informed them of this, they A) would not come out and look themselves without out me bitchin up a storm, B) they about 3 people tried to insist that the other shop was wrong and that infact the motormount was in correctly and I had other problems with my bike, that they would be happy to inspect on June 29th, then as I was leaving very dissapointed an angry, the tech came out and informed the service advisors that the mount was installed backwards, and the steeler somehow happened to have the time all of a sudden to bring my bike in and correct the problem, bike runs gret now, no wobble, no excessive vibration.
Thats it! I cant take it anymore! Lets go around the country cracking heads in the service dept in all the stealerships known to be terrible. Starting with yours. Seriously though it is really ashame that this is common.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will start another thread LIST all the things that the Dealer FIXED wrong

how bout riding out of the shop and the new hand grips FALL OFFF???

And I got MORE

How bout the oil filter put on wrong and all the oil comes out???

·
kickstand grinder
1,549 Posts
Many times you'll find bad tires as a result of wobble. MC tires are not belted like cars, they are very seceptable to belt breakin causing an out of round tire. check it out especially if you've been hitting those Havelina holes down dere vicaro.

·
kickstand grinder
1,549 Posts
WOW old pster man

·
Registered
279 Posts
unbelievable. i'm glad you found the problem. i hope you have future success at your new independent shop :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.