Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Road King...got on it yesterday, started it normally after a minute or so it died. Went to start it again and won't start. No spark or fuel, does crank. Crank sensor is new. Should the crank sensor have voltage to fuel pump? Anyone have any ideas...thank you in advance for any help.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Have you checked for diagnostic codes? There's a "sticky" in the "electrical" section for this, by year.

Codes will point you in the right direction.

Crank sensor is for ignition and injector pulse. if EFI.

Check fuses too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuses are good. No codes. Crank sensor ok. Have voltage to fuel pump. Just won't start, no spark and no fuel.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,224 Posts
Any changes made to the bike since the last time it was running? You mention new crank sensor, I'm assuming it was the same problem before the new one?

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
When you turn the key, does the fuel pump buzz? If not: Check relays/fuses.

Does it have an alarm system?

Have you checked the battery terminal tightness?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To Motive: I replaced the crank sensor because I had an eratic misfire and slight hesitation. I just recently replaced the gear in my tranny (6 speed).

To Dave63: I get occasional fuel pressure but no spark. There is voltage to the fuel pump. No alarm system in the normal sense just the security system that doesn't let the bike run, seems to be ok though. Checked the terminals they are ok on the battery.

·
Retired citizen
22,938 Posts
- The fuel pump will only run for 3 seconds untill the engine starts . Check the ignition fuse inside the right side cover , two fuses there , ecm / ignition and fuel pump .
- Engine cranks but doesn't start and no codes setting indicate a problem that's outside of the EMS , engine management system .
- Remove and inspect / clean the speed sensor located on top of the trans at the end of the starter . EMS needs to see a signal from the speed sensor .
- Check that the fuel feed hose is plugged into the tank bung secure , unplug and replug it .
- Engine compression needs to be present to check for spark so checking with the plug out and grounded to the head won't give good results . Install a spark tester in series with the wire and plug .
- The fuel pump feed hose inside the tank could have a hole in it resulting in low fuel pressure .
- Hope some of this info helps ya find the problem .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back again......

Been having alot problems with the bike......just replaced the ecm. Ran great over the weekend and yesterday coming into work.....got on it to go home and cranks but won't start. There is no spark. Anyone have any ideas here.....Thanks:cussing

·
Registered
1 Posts
- The fuel pump will only run for 3 seconds untill the engine starts . Check the ignition fuse inside the right side cover , two fuses there , ecm / ignition and fuel pump .
- Engine cranks but doesn't start and no codes setting indicate a problem that's outside of the EMS , engine management system .
- Remove and inspect / clean the speed sensor located on top of the trans at the end of the starter . EMS needs to see a signal from the speed sensor .
- Check that the fuel feed hose is plugged into the tank bung secure , unplug and replug it .
- Engine compression needs to be present to check for spark so checking with the plug out and grounded to the head won't give good results . Install a spark tester in series with the wire and plug .
- The fuel pump feed hose inside the tank could have a hole in it resulting in low fuel pressure .
- Hope some of this info helps ya find the problem .
I was reading this blog because I was having the same issue. I removed the quick disconnect at the bottom of the tank. Relieved the pressure in the line going to the pump. Wiped both ends down with a clean rag and it left a little black on the rag. Reconnected the line and she fired right up. Took it for a 30 mile ride and had no problem. Shut it off and restated sever times. Thanks for the post. Same me big $$ 2005 FLHRCI ROADKING

·
Wayward Son
23,228 Posts
Appreciate the info on what worked for you. May help someone down the road.
But, uh, thread is 4 years old.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts

·
Wayward Son
23,228 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
How did you relive the pressure on the line ? I'm having a similar problem. My 03 road King is cranking but won't kick over and start.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How did you relive the pressure on the line ? I'm having a similar problem. My 03 road King is cranking but won't kick over and start.
pull the fuel pump fuse and start the bike.. it may run for a second, but it'll quit. (normal) that'll relieve the pressure in the fuel line.

(remember to put the fuse back in when you're done :grin )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts