Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
JP
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any comments on adding:
Sta-Bil brand - Fuel Stabilizer to a 2007 Harley Softail Std during winter (SW Ohio) storage with 1/2 tank of gasoline?
Thanks for your comments.:biker:

·
2015 Heritage
474 Posts
When I first bought the Heritage, it was filled with gas.
NOISY, KNOCKING, BANGNG, etc.
I put some SeaFoam in and it was like night and day. The bike ran great after that.
I would think that SeaFoam and StaBill are about the same thing.
I have had great results.
1st choice is SeaFoam.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Seafoam I have heard also has the effect of removing carbon from your motor. When getting my 2 stroke boat motor out for the season I run a small amount of gas with a very healthy amount of sea foam. The motor smokes like a freight train, but again, I was told that it helps to de-carbon the motor. Either product will help keep gas fresh, but the sea foam seems to have other advantages.

·
Registered
671 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I store my bike in the winter with a full tank of fuel and some stabil run through the system. I have done Dave's Seafoam EFI intake cleaning....and you wanna talk smoke...holy cow. Had one of the neighbors running down the sidewalk to my house to make sure everything was ok...laughed my @ss off.

EFI Intake Cleaning

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
AND ANOTHER AVID SUPPORTER OF SEAFOAM

I have talked with the owner a few times over the years and switched from stabil to SeaFoam over 15 yrs ago. I had a problem with stale fuel in an outboard motor. Stabil helped, but they changed the formula and I couldn't use it in diesel fuel.

SeaFoam is safe in ALL gas or diesel engines. I switched to SeaFoam all those years ago and never had another problem. Used it with great results on my 30 ft sailboat with diesel engine. 20 gal tank would last almost 2 years. Had to use the SeaFoam to keep the fuel usable. Always started on the 1st or 2nd try in the spring after the winter layup even when half the tank was 2 years old.

I started using it right away on my new 103 Heritage because I took delivery in October. I run Seafoam from September through April in the bike.

It will disperse water, clean injectors and heads. Call Jim at the web site listed above.

In my experience SeaFoam is better than stabil. Stabil is good thru the winter but I'll stay with SeaFoam for the long run. It also will clean the oil system and tranny . . . again talk to Jim.

·
Señor Member
19,834 Posts
I've had good results with sta-bil and with sea foam. I use the former when I need stabilizer and I use the latter for fuel system cleaning.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I have used both but you have to make sure you get stabile that is made for ethanol if you have ethanol in the fuel in your area. With seafoam you don't have to worry about ethanol in your gas it works and it's all I use. I even foag my cylinders with seafoam for winter storage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Additive

I found a study on line about different additive like sea foam. I conducted the same experiment with sea foam, macs 7100, heat, 2+2, and k-100. My students label and dated each 8oz bottle after very careful cleaning of the bottles. Mixed 2oz water, 2oz of additive, and 2oz of regular gas. Put a deck screw in each bottle. Then sealed the bottles with tape.
What we after two days was the macs 7100 did not mix at all. The others but k-100 show large amount of layering. K-100 very little. End of the week macs 7100 started to rust the screw. The others change the color slightly of the screw. K100 had no affect on the screw. At the end of the month macs 7100 really rusting the screw. Heat and 2+2 just started rusting the screw. K-100 no change, looked like the first day of the experiment. Also sea foam, heat, and k-100 had a white swirl of ethanol on top.
Middle of the second month all screws were rusting except k-100. The third month I decided to shake each bottle ten times to see how they would react after being dormant for several months. All bottles except k-100 left moisture above the fluid on the glass of the bottle.
It has been a mount since the shaking and the others are still rusting, moisture still above the fluid line and the ethanol is still separated. K-100 looks the same from top to bottom with no separation at all and no evidence of moisture above the fluid ever. I had shaken the k-100 again two days ago and it does not separate. The deck screw looks as good today as it did the day it was put into the mixture.
So you understand this experiment was conducted by high school student in my auto technology class. They did everything identical and controlled the experiment the best they could. I am not saying that k-100 is the best product out there, I used all of these products in the shop vehicles. The tanks and pumps keep rusting because of the moisture in the tanks. I am approaching my boss to see if k-100 can be purchased to save the tanks and pumps. The fuel pump last about 2 to 3 years with very little run time.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I found a study on line about different additive like sea foam. I conducted the same experiment with sea foam, macs 7100, heat, 2+2, and k-100. My students label and dated each 8oz bottle after very careful cleaning of the bottles. Mixed 2oz water, 2oz of additive, and 2oz of regular gas. Put a deck screw in each bottle. Then sealed the bottles with tape.
What we after two days was the macs 7100 did not mix at all. The others but k-100 show large amount of layering. K-100 very little. End of the week macs 7100 started to rust the screw. The others change the color slightly of the screw. K100 had no affect on the screw. At the end of the month macs 7100 really rusting the screw. Heat and 2+2 just started rusting the screw. K-100 no change, looked like the first day of the experiment. Also sea foam, heat, and k-100 had a white swirl of ethanol on top.
Middle of the second month all screws were rusting except k-100. The third month I decided to shake each bottle ten times to see how they would react after being dormant for several months. All bottles except k-100 left moisture above the fluid on the glass of the bottle.
It has been a mount since the shaking and the others are still rusting, moisture still above the fluid line and the ethanol is still separated. K-100 looks the same from top to bottom with no separation at all and no evidence of moisture above the fluid ever. I had shaken the k-100 again two days ago and it does not separate. The deck screw looks as good today as it did the day it was put into the mixture.
So you understand this experiment was conducted by high school student in my auto technology class. They did everything identical and controlled the experiment the best they could. I am not saying that k-100 is the best product out there, I used all of these products in the shop vehicles. The tanks and pumps keep rusting because of the moisture in the tanks. I am approaching my boss to see if k-100 can be purchased to save the tanks and pumps. The fuel pump last about 2 to 3 years with very little run time.
Tried this stuff several years ago, they put a big american flag on the bottle to get your attention. It probably works as good as Sta-bil for stabilizing the fuel, but it cost more. I will stick with Seafoam it not only helps to stabilize the fuel, your engine runs noticeably quieter and smoother. By the way, you should introduce yourself first, otherwise members will think you joined the forum just to endorse a product.:know

·
Retired citizen
24,354 Posts
I use the Sta-bil brand for my storage gas cans but I prefer Seafoam for vehicle gas tanks. The Seafoam has cleaning agents in it that Sta-bil doesn't.
Both products cost about the same too !

·
Retired citizen
24,354 Posts
All of the fuel stabilizers contain alcohol to disperse water. DISPERSE ! Alcohol doesn't remove water, it breaks the water molecules up (emulsifies) so they pass thru the constricted fuel system passages, jets, injectors, etc..
A simple test is to pour a small amount of fresh gas into a glass container and add a little water. Let the mixture settle and the water will turn into a blob in the bottom of the glass, (that blob can get sucked into a jet and plug it). Now pour a small amount of Stabil or Seafoam into the glass and agitate it, the blob will break up and remain suspended in the fuel able to pass thru the jets etc..

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
As usual, Schmidty, you are 100% correct.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Your students were very careful to not contaminate the set up. And the experiment does give useful info; however, NO ONE would fill his gas tank with 1/3rd fuel, 1/3rd water and 1/3rd additive.

It does show which one gives the best protection in a very wet environment possibly in the rain with the gas tank open or worse.

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the experiment.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have been using Seafoam for years when I put away my bike for the winter. I use it on the lawn mower, snow blower and boat. The only time I had a fuel problem was when I put my outboard away one year and had not run seafoam in it or drained the carb. The next spring the main jet was plugged with a green build up. There was no fuel getting through the carb. I used a product called Mercury Power Tune and sprayed it into the carb. I waited 10 minutes and cranked it over and it started with some smoke. I gave it another shot when it was running and it smoothed out and purred like a happy cat. I have used Power Tune several times since on friends bikes that had fuel problems in the spring caused by not using a fuel stabilizer when storing their bikes. It worked every time and sure beats having to change an injector.

·
Retired citizen
24,354 Posts
Gotta be careful when using top end engine cleaners, they deteriorate rubber seals and even viton float needle tips. Mercury Outboard Marine, John Deere, Yamaha, Polaris, and any number of engine mfgs. supplied "top end engine cleaners" to their dealerships for the purpose of de-carbonizing engine combustion chambers. They weren't intended for fuel stabilization.
Using that stuff in a Harley gas tank will trash the intake seals in no time !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts